Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:36 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

Last edited by gamerfreak on Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:06 pm 
I judge you GUILTY!
I judge you GUILTY!

I recommend the Deitel and Deitel books on learning C++
or download the free books from www.mindview.net
it's called Thinking in C++
It assumes you know some C, though, but it gives you an excellent intro to the nitty gritty details of C++.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:54 pm 

Like Dude-X suggested, I highly recommend the Deitel books. That's what I'm actually using to learn C++ right now. It's AWESOME in everyway!!! It teaches the language clearly & it's color coded. It actually teaches you how to program correctly/professionally from the very start. One thing I love about the book is the fact that they give you programming tips all along. There are 601 programming tips in the whole book, and they're classified into 6 types, as follows:

1- 90 Good Programming Paractices: These are tips that'll help you write programs that are more readable, self-documenting & easier to maintain.

2- 198 Common Programming Errors: Tips to help you avoid making some of the most common mistakes that most programers do.

3- 88 Performance Tips: Tips on how to wright your programs for better performance.

4- 36 Portability Tips: Tips that would help you wright portable codes.

5- 149 Software Engineering Observations: Tips that would point out architectural & design issues that has an affect on construction of sofware systems.

6- 38 Testing and Debugging Tips: Tips on how to avoid having bugs as you write your programs that hopefully would make the test & debugging process simplier.

Dietel does this with all their books. I wouldn't recommend anything else. I'll, hopefully, be buying the 6th edition of Java How to Program next month. Good luck. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:52 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Personally, I hate the Deitel books (ok, hates a bit strong). You have to sift through a 100 line program to see how 3 lines of code are supposed to work. And I don't give a rats you know what if it is all pretty colors either! Just my .02

There is a link to Bjarne's book in the resource list. Some of the guys here don't like the idea of 'learning' from this book. Personally, I don't think I understood C++ until I read his book and realized how truly mediocre most of the other books really are.

And don't worry about gui's or sound. You have a LONG ways to go before even thinking about those subjects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:41 am 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

Hey Gadget - (yes its me the guy who also gives you sh*t in the folding forum)

Wanted to say thanks for your suggestion - I've dabbled in VB but its been a few years - wanted to learn programming but wanted something, a book, a course, anything that would help me truly and fully understand the language...

Sounds like your suggestion is a great one - wanted to say thanks for posting it!

Tuathal
PS: If you tell anyone in Folding that I was nice to you.. I'll give you SUCH A PINCH! <don't ask me where the archaic Three stooges reference came from...>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:23 am 
I judge you GUILTY!
I judge you GUILTY!

Gadget's feeling about the Deitel books is a bit too harsh, but there are moments in the book where there is a lot of code to cover a concept.

However it is explained very well.

The Bjarne Stroustrup book explains why C++ does things. There are two books to read The C++ Reference book, and Design and Evolution. The latter book gives you some insight into why C++ works the way it does.

Here are some important points to remember. C++ is a a language that supports object oriented programming. You don't have to use all the features of it to get stuff done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:56 am 

Well, I haven't really read Bjarne's book, so there's nothing I can say about it. I guess we all have our own way of learning things, and Deitel suits my learning needs perfectly . :)