Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help me help you, fix teh winamp3!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:39 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Right, as we all know and agree to, winamp3 is the greatest music player of all time. This is why I want to enhance its playlist window to make it even better. Right now you cannot:

-Adjust the size of the sidebar in the playlist (the list of playlists)
-Properly SAVE your playlists, closing the playlist window and re-opening it before closing winamp sometimes works, but this is still horribly flawed. While I'm at it I may as well add the ability to save/open the whole darn thing as a file.
-Indent or have sub playlists like windows media player does in its library thing. In other words I think it would be cool to have expandable/collapsable lists so you could have a main title (for band/group) and seperate playlists for each of their albums.
-Add spaces or bold titles in a list. Some people like one big honkin list for a band/all their files, it may be cool to be able to add blank enteries or titles to make things a little more easy to keep track of (IE know where one cd ends and a new one begins)

I considered winamp5, but thats has the complications of being a comercial product and has to much functionality imo. It also has a similar project in the works.

I know that alot, if not all of, the source code has been released, so this would obviously be a boon to someone like me. They have renamed the project wasabi http://www.badmofo.org/wasabi/ and released it to the public, but i don't think anyone is doing much with it.

Anywho, I'm not to knowledgable about C++ or or anything else, I took some *cough* "programming" classes that taught visual basic and Qbasic but as we all know thats a far cry from learning windows API calls and whatnot. In other words I get most of the basics like loops and arrays and matricies but I'm gonna have to take a crash course in C++ to get things moving. It would be real nice if someone would help me out with this as like I said, i'm nto really a programmer.

Well whadya think? Anyone wanna help out/do this for the hell of it? I can't imagining it being TOO hard to redo the playlist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:51 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

yeah, I can't help you, but...didn't winamp like, apologize for making Winamp 3 so bad? 5>3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:00 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I don't care what the retards say, winamp3 is damn good. It just needs a better playlist.

Seriously, winamp5 has to much in it. All I want is a frikin music player! not an internet tv/cdripper-burner/video player. I think people moved back to winamp2 mainly because 1) audiophiles said there was a playback quality discrepency 2) it was a bit bigger and didnt do much more than winamp2 and 3) it had some bugs/crash issues that I havn't noticed.

ONE thing I might want in winamp5, or better yet why not add it to winamp3? would be those universal hotkeys. It might be nice to have a song play again without alt-tabing out of your game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:46 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Sure, I might be able to help. I've made a plugin for Winamp before.

For the universal hotkeys, you could look into GetAsyncKeyState().

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:01 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Is that a windows API function or a residual winamp kinda thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:12 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I tried winamp3 when it 1st came out a while back and it completely hosed all of my multimedia extension program associations... after that all i ran was 2.91 (last 2.x ver) until ppl told me about 5. I gave it a shot and i love it.

I had the same grudge with 3 you have with 5 now, but the only thing I use it for is an mp3 player... also the winamp library (which can also be found in late versions of 2.*) is great for finding internet radio. I would def recommend making the move to 5 as theyve improved upon a ton of things and allow the use of old and new (very cool) skins as well.

and as far a solution of having to alt+tab to change tracks, etc... check out
http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7170#47170

I was gonna put it in here, but figured others wouldnt find it buried in here and could use something like this as well.... hope it helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:08 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Hey thanks again. Like I said, all I want is an mp3 player, not a do-everything-give-me-money application. I have winamp5 and have tried it, still not terrably impressed with it. I think I'll stick with winamp3 for the time being. Maybe that plugin will be finished in the next year and I wont have to go ahead with my plan but damnit I want a good mp3 player and when I build my car pc I'm gonna HAVE to have one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:37 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

winamp 5 > winamp 3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:09 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

hey thats nice and all, but it doesnt help me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:32 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

for me, winamp 3 blew as a do everything media player. It sucked for video completely. Now with winamp 5, i dont even use windows media player at all. What i love the most is the media library that wasnt present in pre 3.0 versions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:00 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

urmumsacow wrote:
Is that a windows API function or a residual winamp kinda thing?

GetAsyncKeyState() is a Windows API function.

It's actually pretty easy to use -- I made a keylogger with it using much less code than it would take to write a custom hook.