Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What do developers want?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:41 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

What do developers want?

Damn good article - no fluff or BS. Be sure to check out the second page.

Post subject: Re: What do developers want?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:08 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Gadget wrote:
What do developers want?

Very interesting. I bet many here are happy to read about the increased popularity of Python. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:13 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

i like python, easy to pick up and go with.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:36 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Gadget wrote:
What do developers want?

Python was actually mentioned???

And they laugh at me!!

Just you wait!!

Manta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:10 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

MantaBase wrote:
Gadget wrote:
What do developers want?

Python was actually mentioned???

Yep, it actually has 3% more than 'other scripting language' and is 5% behind php. Not bad.

MantaBase wrote:
And they laugh at me!!
Just you wait!!
Manta

Well, don't start a dance in your pants just yet. :) There is quite a ways to go and, it didn't receive a seperate category here, and probably won't make any big jumps until someone here really starts to support it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:42 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I find it funny that the most popular language is Java, but the most popular framework is .NET. J2EE was third to Linux/Unix... huh? WTF? That last time I checked Linux/Unix wasn't a web service framework, or even an API.

If J# ever becomes popular I'll stab myself in the neck. I'd rather just stick with Java 1.5/5.0, but we all know C# is teh kewl.

I see some issues with their surveys. One is the Technology one. I don't know how VB.NET is a "technology" when Microsoft .NET is the technology. XML isn't a technology, either...well it is...but it supports just about every one of the other categories. Just kinda shows a naivety of purpose.

I will give it a full read, though when I get a moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:33 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Wolfmann wrote:
I find it funny that the most popular language is Java, but the most popular framework is .NET. J2EE was third to Linux/Unix... huh? WTF? That last time I checked Linux/Unix wasn't a web service framework, or even an API.

Yeah, I think they kind of dropped the ball on that one. A couple of observations. A framework doesn't have to be based on the idea of web development, so linux/unix is ok, but they're lumping a bunch of seperate api's into one category (probably posix and some others). Second, if they're going to allow non-web development frameworks, they should have lumped together j2se/j2ee/j2me into a single catagory imo (after all, .NET is more than just web dev). Third, .NET is probably punching a bit above it's weight right now because a lot of companies and people who used VS 6 migrated to VS .NET due to the craptaculur number of standards problems with the older product (speaking in terms of C++). I doubt all of these developers use the .NET framework or even realize what a framework is. They're typical C++ developers, writing normal applications, that like VS and wanted better C++ compliance.

Also, even though the Java 2 Framework unofficially supports 6 or more languages, by far the number one language is Java, which is not the same with the MS framework. Having two popular langauges (vb and cpp) sort of dilutes them.

Wolfmann wrote:
If J# ever becomes popular I'll stab myself in the neck.

I'll join you. :)

Wolfmann wrote:
I see some issues with their surveys. One is the Technology one. I don't know how VB.NET is a "technology" when Microsoft .NET is the technology. XML isn't a technology, either...well it is...but it supports just about every one of the other categories.

I think what they're trying to show is that 51% are planning on using the .NET framework, 42% of VB programmers are going to migrate to VB .NET, and that not too many of them are planning on switching over to C#.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:19 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Gadget...I think that article is representative of a young writer and inexperienced editors. It needs a lot of tightening up.

Otherwise, still a good read!

Bring it on! lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:49 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Wolfmann wrote:
Gadget...I think that article is representative of a young writer and inexperienced editors. It needs a lot of tightening up.

Bring it on! lol.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say inexperienced editors. Eweek has consistently been one of the better sites for reporting IT news imo. I think part of it is that they haven't explained their methodolgy which has left us grasping for their ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:40 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Gadget wrote:
Wolfmann wrote:

Bring it on! lol.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say inexperienced editors. Eweek has consistently been one of the better sites for reporting IT news imo. I think part of it is that they haven't explained their methodolgy which has left us grasping for their ideas.

The inexperience of writers should not make it past experienced editors. I liked the article, it was revealing, but just had some large issues with the categorization of solutions. Under a little scrutiny, a good editor would be able to tighten it up.