Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Starting Language
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:52 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

As am I am about to go to college for a Comp. Sci. degree, what do you think would be the best language to learn? I know NOTHING about programming. (I can totally program a ti-83 though :wink: ) I heard Java is mostly used and would give me a good advantage in going into college. Any input would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:42 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I've heard that most college Computer Science and AP Computer Science clases nowadays use Java, so that would probably be the best place to start.

Post subject: Re: Starting Language
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:49 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Diseage wrote:
As am I am about to go to college for a Comp. Sci. degree, what do you think would be the best language to learn? I know NOTHING about programming. (I can totally program a ti-83 though :wink: ) I heard Java is mostly used and would give me a good advantage in going into college. Any input would be great.

Depends on the school. Some school still use C++, others use Java, some have adapted to Python. Honestly, I would recommend Python because it's easy to learn and it enforces good programming practices (like indenting). C is a good language to learn if you go into Systems Programming, and Java's an excellent language to learn Object Oriented Programming in. C++ is just kind of there, but it's a good language to have under your belt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:30 am 
In the lab!
In the lab!

Learn C++ first. Just get in under your belt, trust me. C++ is the langauge of the computer world. Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, MacOS... they're all written in c/c++/assembly as are most of the tools that sit ontop of the OSes.

Then learn java, PHP, Python, Perl, Visual Basic, cobol(yes cobol!)... honestly just learn every single langauge you can! The more you know the better your job prospects are. Especially if you know old stuff like cobol. You'd be surprised how many places still run big irons with their apps written in cobol!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:00 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Either C++ or Java. I would suggest contacting the compsci departments of the schools that you might attend and ask them what teaching language they use. I would spend the first two years with that language (98% likely either Java or C++). Then spend some time learning the other language. Don't bite off too much yet. You'll have all kinds of issues like OOP, data structures, algorithms and hardware/ISA's that will consume a lot of your time and energy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:59 pm 

Learn something, learn it well (it was C/C++ for me), but mainly just learn how to think. If you can do that you can pick up the basics of any langauge in a few days or even hours with a good reference. For me at least, the language doesn't matter anymore, I just need a reference if it isn't one of my favorites (C/C++, Java, Python, even asm).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:10 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

This question really needs to be made sticky. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:20 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Jipstyle wrote:

Stop post-whoring... :)

Hey, are you going to be competing in Wednesdays TopCoder match?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:40 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Gadget wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

Stop post-whoring... :)

You're just bitter because you are soooo far behind. :P

Gadget wrote:
Hey, are you going to be competing in Wednesdays TopCoder match?

No. :(

I picked up a couple of contracts last week (good!) and a nasty flu bug (bad!) ... so I'm a little behind in my work.

I also have a friend flying into Vancouver to stay with me until Xmas ... so between these things, I've no spare time at all. I only noticed yesterday that the mountains on our north shore have their snow caps back already ... I can't believe I didn't see that until yesterday. :?