Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: store connection parameters for SQL database on Windows?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:01 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I'm writing a database app connects to Microsoft SQL Server (the application is a desktop Windows program), and I've created my own login system, which the user's credentials are stored in an ecrypted state in the database.

The registry? How can I go about storing an ecrypted password in the registry, or is there a better option? (This is the username/password combination that the application sends to the database so it can access the Users table and retrieve the username/password info for authorization/authentication).

The account that is being used by the app is a very limited account, and can only read the User's table (cannot INSERT, DELETE or UPDATE; only SELECT).

Where can I store this connection info in the registry so that I don't have to pre-program/hard-code into the program?

Post subject: Re: store connection parameters for SQL database on Windows?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:49 am 

what programming API are you using? .NET? MFC? Java?

You could use a config text file or ini file in the executable directory and just read the file every time. If your worried about security, you can encrypt the file.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:09 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I'm using .Net (Visual C# specifically and MS SQL Server). I would rather not put them in a text file or any other readable file for that matter simply because I might as well just give the password to the user. For now, I think I will hard-code them into the application (it will only be used by a handful of employees, so it's not a web app or anything that will be used by the public).

I suppose that the registry would be a little better since many general users aren't going to go snooping around the registry, and they'd also have to sort of know what they were looking for. Neither is an ideal choice, but if I could find some way to store an encrypted string in the registry, that would work for the most part.

Hard-coding will work for now, but can get to be a pain if I have to change the database name and/or password sometime in the future, thus causing me to have to re-build the application and re-distribute the app to each machine. For now, I'll just create a global constant that only needs to be updated in once place in the entire application's source code (not the best idea, but the most feasible at this time).

Any other ideas? Can you store a string that is encrypted into the Windows registry?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:24 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Keep your password as a salted MD5 hash. Then store that.