Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Programming Challenges
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:01 pm 

This is not an advertisement. Please read it completely before any feedback, thanks :)

Hello guys, I'm sort of new here, but I usually hang out at other programming forums. I noticed there were a lot of programmers here, of every level. Some barely learning, some in the middle, while others offer their kind help based on their extensive knowledge. Anyways, I have a site going [ www.blanksite.net ] , it started in february. This site is everything to do with computers. and I'm willing to do anything to suit my members'/visitors' needs. I have seen in a forum I regularly go to, that they wanted programming challenges. So I thought that if I host these at the forums [ www.blanksite.net/phpbb2 ], it will make a lot of people happy, since you can learn a lot from them, and from everyone else. Below is what I posted on the other site:

Posted in the jinx forums wrote:
Hey guys, I'd just like to say that we're now having programming challenges like a lot of people in this forum wanted. I got the idea from a post here obviously and since it got a lot of positive replies, I decided that maybe making that come true would make a lot of you happy.

The challenges are all generic letting the programs/scripts themselves be coded in (almost) any language. This will be monthly, to give time to everyone to be able to participate since I know a lot of us have tight schedules. Ideas for the challenge of May and/or questions about this can be posted here [ http://www.blanksite.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=272 ]. After the challenge has been set, it will be due the end of the month and/or a little early/late, to allow everyone to finish. Entries will be posted on the forum by the authors themselves.

This can be to promote how good a programmer you are, or how much you've learned. We're also willing to help if you need help on any of the challenges. This serves as practice to sharpen your skills. If a winner is to be selected, then his name will be posted on the home page. But I was actually thinking of just having people submit and have it as a practice instead of a competition. It's up to you guys though, feel free to give your thoughts.

So I would just like to tell you guys, of this activity. I'd like it if you guys would try it out, if you have any questions, please email me at blankdev@gmail.com . I always try to make everyone happy there, so if there's something on the site or on the forums you'd like to see, or wouldn't want to see, let me know, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:17 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Of course the problem w/ running your own programming challenge site is that there are so many other well established sites, events, etc. I only have so much time to spend doing 'recreational' programming. Why would I want to spend it at your site, and not that there is anything wrong with your site btw - it looked pretty nice, when I could spend it at TopCoder, which is very well establised, they keep stats, I can find contract work (they called me a while back :)), submit design and development projects for money, etc.

Besides TC and other programming contest sites, there is also the omniheurists corner in Dr Dobbs - a submission there gets my name in print (and my boss a free copy of the next issue w/ a sticky note conviently placed near my name).

Maybe if you were to do a programming challenge game like the hacking challenges in the past. Something a little different that would interest people enough to take time away from other sites. Good luck.

And if you post a challenge, let us know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:32 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Quote:
Maybe if you were to do a programming challenge game like the hacking challenges in the past. Something a little different that would interest people enough to take time away from other sites. Good luck.

Definitely. Either write your own software or modify public domain code for webservers and such and give prizes to the people who find the most exploits at the end of a time period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:45 pm 

You're right, I was just having pratice kind of challenges, but yeah, others would really like to spend time in other sites that are well established, I would. I will try to come up with unique challenges and what not, I'll keep you informed if anything happens.