Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What is your favorite programming language?
C / C++ 37%  37%  [ 16 ]
Java / C# 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Basic / VB 21%  21%  [ 9 ]
Perl 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Python 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
PHP 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
PHP 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Lisp or Prolog 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Man, I got lost and wandered into here - what the hell is this about? 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 43
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:54 pm 

Real men program in C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:05 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

DJSPIN80 wrote:
Gadget wrote:
I didn't want to kill it because then we would have to make fun of php, which would start a huge flamewar. :)

What? PHP is a *gasp* language? :twisted: I didn't know that!?! I must have missed the memo. :wink:

I have a love/hate relationship with PHP. It's free, it's easy, but good grief, structured programming went out the window aeons ago. OOP is where it's at!

BTW, look at PHP5, it's supposed to be fully OOP.

Ok they have been making the same promise of COBOL for years now that the next version will be OOP completely also. Yea right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:22 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Jipstyle wrote:
HK-47 wrote:
Yeah I was gonna take Java I this summer, and the instructor said that with my VB and perl experience that the class would move too slow for me. I think by mid-August they'll be on loops (the class started in May).

When I started my CS degree, I was allowed into an accelerated class that sounds similar to this one. The first year of CS at my school required two terms of Java (along with maths and sciences and a seminar in personal hygiene [1]) but they also offered a compressed class in which 2 terms of java were compressed into one.

It was still pretty damn slow, IMO. :P

HK-47 wrote:
For an MIS degree, all you do is VB, but I wanted to expand my knowledge, so I'm cheating into the land of ICS to get some java and web app knowledge.

Sounds like a damn good plan to me ... you can't know too much, and management should always have some idea what they're workers are doing. :) Enjoy!

[1]: joke.

I am currently going for a Bachelors in CIS from Baker College Online (www.baker.edu). Through them I have taken classes in Java, C++, RPG IV. And I will be taking Perl next semester.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:40 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

savagecat wrote:
Real men program in C

Haha... actually, the children of real men program in C. And now we're the grand-children programming increasingly complex systems, and we will pretty soon have our own children, who will program even more complex systems than we accomplished using MDA's. And it wasn't all that long ago that our great grandparents coded directly in machine language using switches! They were mostly women though. So much for us guys and C.

Last edited by Gadget on Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:43 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

C was great in its day, but structured programming is soooooo 1970s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:18 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Not a programmer by any stretch of the immagination here, however like to mess with VB 6.0 and VB .NET as time allows. I have the entire Visual Studio .NET package and in time may learn a little.

Nice to see this folder!

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:23 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Welcome Ron! :) We're all happy to help ya in your quest to learn. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:39 am 
INFINITE vCORE
INFINITE vCORE

Right now its VB6, 'cos it's close enought to the stuff i did in grade school to get back into the swing and get a basic handle on OOP...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:48 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Gadget wrote:
And then it dawns on us, the real reason that many of us don't like PHP is because in a world that long ago accepted OOP as a superior paradigm for creating and maintaining 95% of all applications, there are still those holdouts who love global variables, find mains the length of a football field appealing, who prefer using a variety of 'print' and 'scan' functions to using overloaded << and >> operators, and don't mind jumping between a dizzying array of scripting and markup languages - because they'll never reuse any of it anyways! :P

All kidding aside, after we start dissecting ACM and TC problem statements, I think a number of us would appreciate it if you were to provide php solutions. Hopefully, we can get Manta to provide the python equivalent and Colby or JoseTann to do Perl solutions as well.

lol. I can concede that the arrangement of functions in the string library don't all belong. Globabl variables are no longer on by default and yes switching back and forth between scripting and markup can get confusing. I would be glad to provide php based solutions to some of these questions. I have never done an ACM or TC problem though. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:56 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

savagecat wrote:
Real men program in C

If I didn't know better I would think this was an alt of mine or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:06 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

My programming days are long gone, although I have thought if I can ever find the time, I'd like to get back into it.

My personal favourite? Pascal.
Then again, Fortran had it's appeal - I guess you never really forget your first language lesson, even if it was all batch processing and you had to sit at a punch desk endlessly punching cards, then feeding them through the card reader and hoping it wouldn't jam and mess things up.

Cobol was bewildering, by the time I hit Cobol I already knew most of Fortran and Pascal and kept asking myself why Cobol wanted things THIS way instead of a much easier, cleaner and sensible THAT way.

BASIC, oh man, I loved fooling around with BASIC. But that is just the point. Fooling around. I never tried to do anything serious with Basic, but it was good for a first cut solution if you weren't too sure how you wanted to solve a specific problem.

Assembly code was sort of like Basic, only more so. Great for solving small problems, but the only large project I undertook never made it past the broad outline.

I was just getting into C when I was forced to abandon university studies. It looked like a fairly interesting language.

Then along came the first PCs, Commodore V20/c64, an early Mac and AMIGA.

Sorry, I tend to ramble as most old fogeys do. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:58 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

whitecree wrote:
My programming days are long gone, although I have thought if I can ever find the time, I'd like to get back into it.

My personal favourite? Pascal.
Then again, Fortran had it's appeal - I guess you never really forget your first language lesson, even if it was all batch processing and you had to sit at a punch desk endlessly punching cards, then feeding them through the card reader and hoping it wouldn't jam and mess things up.

Cobol was bewildering, by the time I hit Cobol I already knew most of Fortran and Pascal and kept asking myself why Cobol wanted things THIS way instead of a much easier, cleaner and sensible THAT way.

BASIC, oh man, I loved fooling around with BASIC. But that is just the point. Fooling around. I never tried to do anything serious with Basic, but it was good for a first cut solution if you weren't too sure how you wanted to solve a specific problem.

Assembly code was sort of like Basic, only more so. Great for solving small problems, but the only large project I undertook never made it past the broad outline.

I was just getting into C when I was forced to abandon university studies. It looked like a fairly interesting language.

Then along came the first PCs, Commodore V20/c64, an early Mac and AMIGA.

Sorry, I tend to ramble as most old fogeys do. :D

Please ramble.... I was enjoying it. Hearing old fogeys tell their tales is a nice break from the grind. :)

You'll be pleased to hear that Pascal is still a popular choice among some of the Eastern European and Asian universities at the ACM International Programming Contest (but will be dropped in 2006).

For some reason, people are still 'fooling around' with BASIC. I learned it in 6th grade and unlearned it in college. There really should be an international law banning the use and teaching of it - what the hell does the UN do anyways? I've converted several BASIC programs published in Sky & Telescope to Java. You have to wonder about these BASIC folks. I think there is some rule that all vars must be one capital letter and used with at least two data types. For some reason, old BASIC programmers are still programming in BASIC. They won't move on. After coming across a great repository of crypto programs written in BASIC, I've decided that I'll have to write a 'source code translator' to convert them into Java (I really don't know what to call it). I figure I can automate 80% of it fairly easily with the exception of the GOSUBS - modularity is just not a concept in this language.

Well, I guess I've ranted long enough as well - hey, thanks for stopping by. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:19 am 

Jipstyle wrote:
Excellent poll, Gadget. :)

I voted for C / C++ ... but it was a tough call. I'm also a big fan of java, but I've noticed that if I have a choice between them, I'll generally choose C++.

My longwinded answer, though, is the classic it depends .. perl for text manipulation ... python (yay gentoo!!) / perl / ruby for scripting ... java is nice and easy for GUI work ... C++ for general purpose code. That is why I voted for C++ ... it is my 'catch-all' language.

Yes, I think so too...it really depends on what you're trying to do; my personal belief goes something like this: "For every 'thing' there is a language that does 'it' better than C++; C++ just is 'in the middle' enough that it can be used for everything." That's why I like it, no need to dig up references for obscure and underused (but still good) languages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:11 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Cplusplus wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
Excellent poll, Gadget. :)

I voted for C / C++ ... but it was a tough call. I'm also a big fan of java, but I've noticed that if I have a choice between them, I'll generally choose C++.

My longwinded answer, though, is the classic it depends .. perl for text manipulation ... python (yay gentoo!!) / perl / ruby for scripting ... java is nice and easy for GUI work ... C++ for general purpose code. That is why I voted for C++ ... it is my 'catch-all' language.

Yes, I think so too...it really depends on what you're trying to do; my personal belief goes something like this: "For every 'thing' there is a language that does 'it' better than C++; C++ just is 'in the middle' enough that it can be used for everything." That's why I like it, no need to dig up references for obscure and underused (but still good) languages.

Glad to see someone new around.... :)

So tell us a bit about yourself..... student? if so, where? professional? etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:24 pm 

Meh...I'm not really anything. This is my hobby, but it's an all consuming hobby. Seriously, I have one friend, because when other people are playing games or writing 'essays' at school, I find loopholes in security. He also does programming, but in Java. So far my 'most problems spotted' count is 7.

I want to become a CS major and some sort of engineering major.

Of course, I also plan to do this as a job, because as everyone knows: "Hackers do for love what others wouldn't do for money."

That's about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:20 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

C and Java.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:55 pm 

Java.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:11 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Damn... the last few guys didn't get to vote... did you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:32 pm 

#1. PHP/Javascript
#5. C/VB
#3. QB
#5. C++/HLSL/GLSL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:08 pm 

Perl is great! So many modules! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next