Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What is your favorite programming language?
C / C++ 37%  37%  [ 16 ]
Java / C# 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Basic / VB 21%  21%  [ 9 ]
Perl 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Python 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
PHP 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
PHP 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Lisp or Prolog 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Man, I got lost and wandered into here - what the hell is this about? 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 43
Author Message
 Post subject: What is your favorite programming language?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:14 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:32 pm
Posts: 2555
Location: Somewhere between compilation and linking
I thought this would be an appropriate first post/poll in the new Programmers' Paradise! So tell the world which language(s) you hold dear. :)

My favs are Java, C++, and Python (very rusty though). At some point, I would love to really learn Lisp.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is your favorite programming language?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:23 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:04 pm
Posts: 985
Location: Earth
C++ and at a distant second, C#.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:24 pm 
In the lab!
In the lab!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:47 am
Posts: 831
Location: Secret Laboratory
You list lisp and prolog but not assembler, cobol, or fortran?!?!

What kind of poll is this? :P


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is your favorite programming language?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:26 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:32 pm
Posts: 2555
Location: Somewhere between compilation and linking
DJSPIN80 wrote:
C++ and at a distant second, C#.

Distant second.... I thought you were liking C# quite a bit now. :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:31 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:32 pm
Posts: 2555
Location: Somewhere between compilation and linking
Dexter wrote:
You list lisp and prolog but not assembler, cobol, or fortran?!?!

What kind of poll is this? :P

Doh! I should have put in Cobol and Fortran.

Well, Fortran is only considered a great language because of the incredible math libs, and Cobol is only the most used language of all time. All in all, I consider this a minor ommision. :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is your favorite programming language?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:37 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:04 pm
Posts: 985
Location: Earth
Gadget wrote:
DJSPIN80 wrote:
C++ and at a distant second, C#.

Distant second.... I thought you were liking C# quite a bit now. :)


I am, but C++ is still numero uno on my list. C# is second, third is Java. I don't know where to place Python, and PHP is in the bottom somewhere.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:38 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:04 pm
Posts: 985
Location: Earth
Dexter wrote:
You list lisp and prolog but not assembler, cobol, or fortran?!?!

What kind of poll is this? :P


Assembler, yes. Listp, yes. Prolog, yes. Fortran, maybe. COBOL, No. BIG NO TO COBOL!!!!

/me hates COBOL... :twisted:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:39 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:40 am
Posts: 55
Location: Illinois, in the U.S. of A.
1. C++.NET
2. C++
3. C#.NET
4. C#
5. VB.NET


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is your favorite programming language?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:46 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:13 pm
Posts: 817
Location: Missouri
Gadget wrote:
I thought this would be an appropriate first post/poll in the new Programmers' Paradise! So tell the world which language(s) you hold dear. :)

My favs are Java, C++, and Python (very rusty though). At some point, I would love to really learn Lisp.


I really like using COBOL, Java, C++ (Don't know C#), VB (6.0).

I will be learning Perl Programming in September for my degree.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:49 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:32 pm
Posts: 2555
Location: Somewhere between compilation and linking
Pet peeve. Assembler != asembly language.

wikipedia wrote:
An assembler is a computer program for translating assembly language — essentially, a mnemonic representation of machine language — into object code. A cross assembler (see cross compiler) produces code for one processor, but runs on another.

Don't any of you ever say assembler like that again! :twisted:
/me flings throwing knife at VB book

Oh, bullseye - ok, much better now. 8)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:54 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:04 pm
Posts: 985
Location: Earth
Gadget wrote:
/me flings throwing knife at VB book


Now, now...I know you don't like VB...but at least use the grenade launcher at it, the knife is just to weak and doesn't kill fast enough. :twisted:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:45 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:32 pm
Posts: 2555
Location: Somewhere between compilation and linking
DJSPIN80 wrote:
Gadget wrote:
/me flings throwing knife at VB book


Now, now...I know you don't like VB...but at least use the grenade launcher at it, the knife is just to weak and doesn't kill fast enough. :twisted:

I didn't want to kill it because then we would have to make fun of php, which would start a huge flamewar. :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:03 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
Excellent poll, Gadget. :)

I voted for C / C++ ... but it was a tough call. I'm also a big fan of java, but I've noticed that if I have a choice between them, I'll generally choose C++.

My longwinded answer, though, is the classic it depends .. perl for text manipulation ... python (yay gentoo!!) / perl / ruby for scripting ... java is nice and easy for GUI work ... C++ for general purpose code. That is why I voted for C++ ... it is my 'catch-all' language.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:04 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
Gadget wrote:
Well, Fortran is only considered a great language because of the incredible math libs, and Cobol is only the most used language of all time. All in all, I consider this a minor ommision. :)


I was forced to learn fortran in my first year of CS ... back in '93.

We will never speak of that vile abomination again, 'kay?

:P


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:08 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
Gadget wrote:
Pet peeve. Assembler != asembly language.

wikipedia wrote:
An assembler is a computer program for translating assembly language — essentially, a mnemonic representation of machine language — into object code. A cross assembler (see cross compiler) produces code for one processor, but runs on another.

Don't any of you ever say assembler like that again! :twisted:
/me flings throwing knife at VB book

Oh, bullseye - ok, much better now. 8)


:lol:

I was going to post something similar. ;)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:13 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:04 pm
Posts: 985
Location: Earth
Gadget wrote:
I didn't want to kill it because then we would have to make fun of php, which would start a huge flamewar. :)


What? PHP is a *gasp* language? :twisted: I didn't know that!?! I must have missed the memo. :wink:

I have a love/hate relationship with PHP. It's free, it's easy, but good grief, structured programming went out the window aeons ago. OOP is where it's at!

BTW, look at PHP5, it's supposed to be fully OOP.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:54 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:32 pm
Posts: 2555
Location: Somewhere between compilation and linking
DJSPIN80 wrote:
Gadget wrote:
I didn't want to kill it because then we would have to make fun of php, which would start a huge flamewar. :)


What? PHP is a *gasp* language? :twisted: I didn't know that!?! I must have missed the memo. :wink:

I have a love/hate relationship with PHP. It's free, it's easy, but good grief, structured programming went out the window aeons ago. OOP is where it's at!

BTW, look at PHP5, it's supposed to be fully OOP.

No. In fact, I'm hoping the Python folks decide to change their name to something that doesn't begin with a P that way I can just ignore any of the P___ languages. :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:19 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:04 pm
Posts: 985
Location: Earth
Gadget wrote:
No. In fact, I'm hoping the Python folks decide to change their name to something that doesn't begin with a P that way I can just ignore any of the P___ languages. :)


So what do you think? Bython? Cython? Lython? #ython? 8)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:53 pm 
M-Powered
M-Powered
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:36 am
Posts: 2504
Location: Nürburgring
M/G-Code


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:07 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
That's new to me, Maxx ... whatcha use it for?


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group