Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Microsoft c++
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:02 pm 

I need to create an .exe that accesses an .m3u playlist thats on my website so that i can encrypt my music. I figure if I access the .m3u file through an .exe it will make it a little bit harder for someone to rip my music. So all the user would have to do is download my .exe file and the .exe file would execute my music in the background and I could manually change the m3u playlist. How does other programs like iTunes encrypt their radio playlists into the iTune program? I figure this could be done easily in microsoft c++. Id prefer for someone to link my to a tutorial on how to do this? Im not sure which category this fits under maximum pc!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:24 pm 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

I've moved this to Programmer's Paradise, since you'll find help in this specialty here.

SC64

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:13 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Instead of asking for a very very specific thing, I find it's often better to present people with the problem or question, and any attempted code. This lets people see the solution or think of one more easily.

Could you please post exactly what your problem is, what your current stage is, and what your intended goal is?

Post subject: Re: Microsoft c++
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:18 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

bmdmx84 wrote:
I need to create an .exe that accesses an .m3u playlist thats on my website so that i can encrypt my music.

I would use perl instead. Easy to learn. Can probably do it with a lot less programming time. (access your .m3u file)

bmdmx84 wrote:
I figure if I access the .m3u file through an .exe it will make it a little bit harder for someone to rip my music.

I don't get what you mean here. If you wanted an .exe to hit a web site and retrieve it with the http protocol, then the data is probably _SENT IN THE CLEAR_, meaning anyone along the route can intercept the .m3u. Where is the security? You could use SSL?

Rip your music? What do you mean by rip? My definition of "rip" means copying the data off of a physical medium, like a CD. How would an executable file (containing only machine instructions) make it a bit harder for someone to rip your music? I thought the actual content of the music was typically stored in either .wav, or .mp3 format. AHHHHH! Someone explain to me what is going on!!! AHHH!!! I'M MELTING!!!

bmdmx84 wrote:
So all the user would have to do is download my .exe file and the .exe file would execute my music in the background and I could manually change the m3u playlist.

AHHHHHH!!! (Head spins 360 degrees)

bmdmx84 wrote:
How does other programs like iTunes encrypt their radio playlists into the iTune program? I figure this could be done easily in microsoft c++. Id prefer for someone to link my to a tutorial on how to do this? Im not sure which category this fits under maximum pc!

With an encryption key. Wait, do you want to "encrpty music"? Or do you want to encrypt the "radio playlists"?

I don't know what you are trying to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:14 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Quote:
I don't know what you are trying to do.

Exactly :?

Post subject: Alrighty now
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:00 am 

I need to develop an .exe file that I can embed my .m3u playlists in so that someone can hear the music I want them to hear without downloading it in an obvious file on their hard drive somewhere in a temp folder. Hiding the .mp3 in an .m3u file in the .exe would be a simpler way to encrypt music, so that people couldnt detect where the url of the music is. I dont want to stream my music with 3rd party software either. I would also like customizing the look of the .exe with skins. Could I stream .m3u files in flash content? (I do not want to stream any mp3s in flash because people could rip the mp3 out of it.) Then someway I could skin the .exe from flash with a program like resHack? Good Grief. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:48 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

1. M3U files are playlists. They contain nothing more that the filenames of songs to play.
2. Again, M3U files do not encrypt music
3. If you are looking for a way to disable ripping of music, you are 100% out of luck. Anyone can run a male-to-male audio cable from their headphone jack to a line-in jack on another device.
4. Though you say you don't want to stream, that is probably the best method. If you stream it in flash, you cannot rip the mp3 file out of it, because it is streaming.
5. If you wanted it to be as secure as possible (except for the classic recording from the headphone jack), you might want to either
-Develop your own file format and/or streaming protocol
-Use a DRM scheme (though many have been cracked).

Post subject: Does not answer the question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:28 am 

If I call the playlist .m3u through the .exe file nobody knows that I did that except for you and whoever else reads this so, in a way it would keep people from seeing where the url of my music is. Yeah I know about people being able to record through their audio output jacks.

Post subject: Re: Does not answer the question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:58 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

bmdmx84 wrote:
If I call the playlist .m3u through the .exe file nobody knows that I did that except for you and whoever else reads this so, in a way it would keep people from seeing where the url of my music is.

Untrue, it is almost trivial to pull a url in a binary/.exe (since the URL is a character string). I could easily write a program looking for a dotted quad notation, better yet, I could just use a simple hex editor and find it within minutes. -OR- Even easier, anyone could sniff the network packets and find the location of the mp3 file.

So let me get this straight, you want to allow endusers to download music (mp3 file) from a website, and play the content. BUT you want to do it without the end user knowing the location of the website AND you want to make sure the end user cannot play the file independently without your .exe file. Well, like Kybo said earlier, you are looking at writing your own codec, fileformat, AND a "player" to decode and play your "encrypted" content. And, again, Kybo is correct that you cannot prevent the content from being "ripped".

Fine, here are some things that could get you started.
- You need to learn how to do socket programming. Fairly simple and plenty of tutorials. You probably only have to write "client" code since the web page is the "server". Sockets will facilitate pulling information from your secret web site, such as the musical content.

- Once you have downloaded the content, I would recommend keeping it in main memory. If you decide to dump it to a file instead, then you risk the "end user" getting this file and playing it with xmms(winamp).

- After receiving the content, the next task is for you to write code to "play" the content and output them to speakers. You are now basically writing a stand alone music player. Assuming you are going to use a standard codec and file format, I think you can find some libraries that may handle decoding mpeg codec or whatever codec you choose. If you DON'T want to use a standard codec then you will probably want to write your own. If you decide to write your own, then you will need to learn about signals and signal processing. (google). If you don't want ANY compression, then you can skip the signal processing and just use a .wav (or whatever file format you want) and send the music content.

You can produce a single .exe to do all that I have mentioned and pass it out to whoever. Any determined hacker can still get the ip address of your web site. Any determined "ripper" can still dump the output (as mentioned by Kybo).

Good luck.

If you want I can write this code for you...I will charge you my regular consulting fee ($50 and hour).

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject: Thats what Im looking for
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:17 pm 

Thats a good answer. I can do it myself now. Thanks.