Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bluetooth to 802.11b bridge
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:46 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

I haven't taken a networking course yet, so forgive me if this doesn't make any sense. I am wondering if it is possible to bridge a bluetooth device (say a blackberry) to a 802.11b wireless network. Something like....

blackberry <--(bluetooth)--> computer <--(802.11b)--> router <--> internet

or, even better...

internet <---> blackberry <--(bluetooth)--> computer <--... rest of network

Basically, I'm hoping that the wireless capability of the blackberry will be able to replace my dsl connection (second diagram). I don't really play multi-player games anymore (at least at home), so that isn't a concern. Or, if that isn't possible, to eventually drop the blackberry's data service plan and use the blackberry through 802.11b networks. Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:23 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

It is possible, but I don't know if anyone has done it. You might have to do some hacking. That just makes it more fun, though, doesn't it? ;)

I have a friend using the Logitech DiNovo kb/mouse combo as his bluetooth hub. He said that setting it up was a bitch, but he can surf the net on his PDA while within range of his bluetooth base ... that indicates to me that what you are asking is possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:47 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Jipstyle wrote:
It is possible, but I don't know if anyone has done it. You might have to do some hacking. That just makes it more fun, though, doesn't it? ;)

I have a friend using the Logitech DiNovo kb/mouse combo as his bluetooth hub. He said that setting it up was a bitch, but he can surf the net on his PDA while within range of his bluetooth base ... that indicates to me that what you are asking is possible.

That's sweet. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:29 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Yeah, it's possible. Try hooking up your Blackberry to a Linux box via the USB cable and configuring it as a USB ACM device. If it works right-off as a modem, you probably have a good shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:58 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I use a Microsoft Smartphone and it pretty much worked right away without much tweaking... (smartphone connects via bluetooth using serial port connection)

As for your specific configuration, try giving WIDCOMM's bluetooth driver, or maybe the Windows XP SP2 one, select them both (bluetooth network connection, and LAN) and click "bridge connections"... it MIGHT work.

Using Linux, as previously mentioned, its prob. as easy as running iptables to bridge them...

Lastly, there might be software out there to specifically do this, aka. share your internet connection to your blackberry (or to any USB device)

good luck...