Post subject: Simple Multi User Game
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:43 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

OK,

This likely won't work.

Start here:

http://home.austin.rr.com/hsnewman/decwar.htm

look at the instructions and commands for DECwar.

The source code for this game is byebye and only images remain. I have one - but its of little use to me without the source.

Thats not what I am posting about though.

How hard would it be to make a simple, text driven, multi user game. Its doesn't need to be a space game, but possibly a "Ships of Old" - whatever.

Anyone interested - even mildly?

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:00 pm 
In the lab!
In the lab!

basically, we're talking a mud, moo, mush, etc? you could probabbly whip up something pretty basic in a few weeks time.

don't ask me for any help... as much as I'd love to, I have too much on my plate how it is :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:17 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Sounds fun. What language?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:50 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Dexter wrote:
basically, we're talking a mud, moo, mush, etc? you could probabbly whip up something pretty basic in a few weeks time.

don't ask me for any help... as much as I'd love to, I have too much on my plate how it is :)

Dexter and Kybo_Ren

Yeah - I posted a question in the Gamer folder to see if anything already existed - I got MUDS.

The issue is...well - let me explain.

In a recent thrread in the Sister forum (COMmport). I discussed the idea of some way to have inter forum competition other than a phake phorum war.

I was look around - but what I envisioned was a game that was email(ish) based and had a 1 day heartbeat (pulse).

Saw nothing.

So, I was thinkin' we could make something like this:

User subscribes and builds a "ship" if one is avliable (limited ships). Then user get a "current status" the folowing day (turn pulses happen between 11:00pm and 1:00am daily with a random variation to stop).

When a turn is submitted to a drop zone, the game admin (this would be mainly automated) gets the turn packets, runs the game and makes a log. The logs are posted back to the drop zone with ship owner packets of "current status". The overall log will be "html" and allow for spectators to see how thier Forum is doing - but not each ship - the ship owner has that info only and can share it if he'she wishes.

SHips are upgradable and there is a rudimentary economy in place based on "units" which can be used to Power ships, upgrade ships, and gain status.

There is a special rule to handle "IDLE" I uniquly designed to also be used as a stratagy.

The Game genre is "ships" - it translates best to a space game - but the players can think of it anyway they wish.

Because I am thinking in Modules that transfer formmated script files from one module to another, multiple languages can be used. I program in Python - but Java could easily read the output file for example.

Ren, I may move this thread to the [PC] if there is interest - just so we can keep our code private - if so, I will keep you in the loop via PM.

I have new work, so I can't do all the modules alone - but one or two would be fine. I only see a current need for <10.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:20 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I could write a module or two if you give me the specs on what you need and how to get the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:40 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Kybo_Ren wrote:
I could write a module or two if you give me the specs on what you need and how to get the info.

Working on Module specs right now. I need more interest though. Expecially from PC folk. Where is Gadget??? And Jip and DJ!

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:06 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

MantaBase wrote:
I was look around - but what I envisioned was a game that was email(ish) based and had a 1 day heartbeat (pulse).

emailish? sounds like perl-mysql is your answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:49 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

kkith wrote:
MantaBase wrote:

emailish? sounds like perl-mysql is your answer.

Maybe for the main module. My experience with sql is limited (and not very positive thus far).

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:04 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Hmmm, I wrote a generic database class an example for someone... Maybe you could use that? It's very easy to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:24 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Kybo_Ren wrote:
Hmmm, I wrote a generic database class an example for someone... Maybe you could use that? It's very easy to use.

I can already see there are multiple ways to do this - I was going to use an array.

What Language did you use?

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:03 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I used C++. It can't really be put in a DLL though, because of name mangling. Unless you're OK with a def file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:04 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

MantaBase wrote:
Because I am thinking in Modules that transfer formmated script files from one module to another, multiple languages can be used. I program in Python - but Java could easily read the output file for example.

This is a pretty good sized project you're stepping into... :)

Can you elaborate some on the paragraph above. I don't think that I understand what you're calling a module.

Based on what you described, I don't see any reason to use a database either. Just keep a log file. However, you're going to want to use a language that will allow you to send out the email messages and has strong html and web application support.

To get everyone thinking, let's write a use case.....

Name: Player enters daily movement / commands
Summary: The user enters one or more commands for his/her ship to perform.
Preconditions: User is loggen in; User is an alive player

<I'm assuming that this is going to be web based>
1. User enters one or more commands in the command field
2. User clicks on submit
3. The game app checks that the commands are syntatically correct
4. The game app updates the web page with a success message

Alternatives:
3a. The game app checks that the commands are correct
4a. The game app redisplays the user's command(s) and an error message(s)
5a. goto step #1

Writing a parser should be fun. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:48 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Kybo_Ren wrote:
I used C++. It can't really be put in a DLL though, because of name mangling. Unless you're OK with a def file.

Hold off for now - I am writing an outline. When done I will tell you were to get the .pdf

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:04 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Gadget wrote:
MantaBase wrote:

Can you elaborate some on the paragraph above. I don't think that I understand what you're calling a module.

Module as in modular. SOrry, didn't mean to confuse. Basically, I am writing up an outline of say 10 modules - seperate programs.

An Example: Module 1 takes user info and attempts to create a new user and ship by appending to a global list.

Module 2 checks to see if the attempt was a success. If not - well I will just PM you the prelims.

Quote:
Based on what you described, I don't see any reason to use a database either. Just keep a log file. However, you're going to want to use a language that will allow you to send out the email messages and has strong html and web application support.

Java and Python have these capabilities - but each modul can be writtin in a different language.

I can see the place for a data base in one of the module (code name " the big sucker") but thats about it

Quote:

And that is one of the modules (4 I think) - its a "client module", but something you said might change that....

Quote:
2. User clicks on submit

Quote:
I wasn't thinking web based - but it could be - then there really isn't a need for "client modules"

Alternatives:
5a. goto step #1

Quote:

Yes - thats "The big sucker"

I will PM you.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:50 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Here ya go gadget:

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:02 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Gadget wrote:

2. User clicks on submit

Alternatives:
5a. goto step #1

You guys will need some rules to make this work. I'm working on them.

But you can psudocode a bit in the mean time.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:22 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Gadget wrote:
Based on what you described, I don't see any reason to use a database either. Just keep a log file.

I'm not saying a database is the solution to all of lifes problems but...if its a game, im sure there is going to be a lot of cross referencing of information, doing that in a flat file is a PITA. Another reason is better organization of information. Using a database simplifies the bookkeeping in general in this situation. A flat file would be horrendous to work with. Also, a flat file does not scale well at all. Using a database would also save a lot on programming time since looking up statistics on a player does not require parsing a log file, it would require a one-line query into the database.

Gadget wrote:
However, you're going to want to use a language that will allow you to send out the email messages and has strong html and web application support.

I think Perl is a good solution in this case (if not the best), built in modules to perform lexical analysis and has a proven track record for web app support. And perl saves a LOT of programmer time.

Gadget wrote:

hehe, Perl would be perfect here. :P
But iif any heavy duty parsing is involved, I think bison/yacc is the way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:05 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

kkith wrote:
Gadget wrote:
Based on what you described, I don't see any reason to use a database either. Just keep a log file.

I'm not saying a database is the solution to all of lifes problems but...if its a game, im sure there is going to be a lot of cross referencing of information, doing that in a flat file is a PITA. Another reason is better organization of information. Using a database simplifies the bookkeeping in general in this situation. A flat file would be horrendous to work with. Also, a flat file does not scale well at all. Using a database would also save a lot on programming time since looking up statistics on a player does not require parsing a log file, it would require a one-line query into the database.

Gadget wrote:
However, you're going to want to use a language that will allow you to send out the email messages and has strong html and web application support.

I think Perl is a good solution in this case (if not the best), built in modules to perform lexical analysis and has a proven track record for web app support. And perl saves a LOT of programmer time.

Gadget wrote:

But iif any heavy duty parsing is involved, I think bison/yacc is the way to go.

In my experiences a database would make it easier if you want the response sent back the the user to appear random from a specific number of options per command.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:24 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

kkith wrote:
Gadget wrote:

I'm not saying a database is the solution to all of lifes problems but...if its a game, im sure there is going to be a lot of cross referencing of information, doing that in a flat file is a PITA. Another reason is better organization of information. Using a database simplifies the bookkeeping in general in this situation. A flat file would be horrendous to work with.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why there is going to be a lot of entity data to store in a database (although I have a hunch now - see below). I certainly wouldn't argue that a database doesn't simplify storage.

I think that everyone involved considers this to be a OOP project. Maybe that explains the difference between Perl devs and the rest of the world. :D

As for Bison and Yacc, are you crazy?! God forbid I have to use them even again.... stupid pita programs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:25 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

baldeagle wrote:
kkith wrote:
Gadget wrote:

Gadget wrote:

Gadget wrote:

In my experiences a database would make it easier if you want the response sent back the the user to appear random from a specific number of options per command.

We should have use cases done before we decide any of these things. ;)