Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: netbeans won't install
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:36 am 
Klamath
Klamath

i'm trying to install netbeans IDE 4.0...it goes through the installer fine until it gets to the part where it's about to actually install the program. when i hit 'next' at that point, the installer closes and nothing happens. i have the latest verson of the java runtime and jdk installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:39 am 
Klamath
Klamath

bummmmmmmP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:57 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

krazy_kenny1 wrote:
bummmmmmmP

check thd application section of the event view for any errors. Post any you find.

Doesn't this belong under free clinic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:05 am 
Klamath
Klamath

baldeagle wrote:
krazy_kenny1 wrote:
bummmmmmmP

check thd application section of the event view for any errors. Post any you find.

Doesn't this belong under free clinic?

i already did that and ended up just installing jcreator instead. i wasn't sure where to put it since it's programming related as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:06 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Download and try it again.... sounds like you might have a corrupted download file. I've installed 4.0 a dozen times now without a hitch.

And for the record, NetBeans 4.0 rocks now. It is really sweet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:24 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Gadget wrote:
Download and try it again.... sounds like you might have a corrupted download file. I've installed 4.0 a dozen times now without a hitch.

i guess i'll try it again, but i don't think it was corrupted because it did the same thing when i just tried to install a freshly downloaded copy of 4.0 on my laptop that already had the last version of netbeans working fine on it. i guess it could have been corrupted both times but not likely. maybe the level of traffic is corrupting the downloads because i've been getting constant busy messages on sun's site when trying to download stuff. i have this problem whether i install the jdk separately or in the bundle with netbeans. when i tryed the bundled version, it installed the jdk part just fine and then the installer quit again when it was about to install netbeans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:46 pm 
Team Member/ Ex-Team Member/ Team Member
Team Member/ Ex-Team Member/ Team Member

Did you shut your antivirus off before install?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:07 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Jokerswild1 wrote:
Did you shut your antivirus off before install?

yes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:31 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

krazy_kenny1 wrote:
Gadget wrote:

i guess i'll try it again, but i don't think it was corrupted because it did the same thing when i just tried to install a freshly downloaded copy of 4.0 on my laptop that already had the last version of netbeans working fine on it. i guess it could have been corrupted both times but not likely. maybe the level of traffic is corrupting the downloads because i've been getting constant busy messages on sun's site when trying to download stuff. i have this problem whether i install the jdk separately or in the bundle with netbeans. when i tryed the bundled version, it installed the jdk part just fine and then the installer quit again when it was about to install netbeans.

Sounds like Sun might have bundled it wrong or something. Go to www.netbeans.org and download it seperately from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:17 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Gadget wrote:
krazy_kenny1 wrote:
Gadget wrote:

Sounds like Sun might have bundled it wrong or something. Go to www.netbeans.org and download it seperately from there.

that is where i downloaded it from. sun just links to the netbeans site.

edit: i tryed downloading it from the netbeans site anyways and it did the same thing again. installer just closes when i hit the next button after choosing the install directory and stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:50 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

What versions of Windows are you running? Also, post the message for the the JRE version when you run a 'java -version' from the directory that you're trying to install NetBeans from.

This will get three possible errors out of the way...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:37 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Gadget wrote:
What versions of Windows are you running? Also, post the message for the the JRE version when you run a 'java -version' from the directory that you're trying to install NetBeans from.

This will get three possible errors out of the way...

windows version is XP pro with sp2

C:\Documents and Settings\Biohazard\Desktop>java -version
java version "1.5.0_01"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_01-b08)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_01-b08, mixed mode, sharing)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:29 am 
Klamath
Klamath

cmon...i'm obviously doing something stupid if i have the same problem on 2 different machines. i'd much rather be using netbeans than jcreator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:25 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

krazy_kenny1 wrote:
cmon...i'm obviously doing something stupid if i have the same problem on 2 different machines. i'd much rather be using netbeans than jcreator

Well, that got the jvm version and path issues out of the way. Are you installing as a regular user and not admin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:33 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Gadget wrote:
krazy_kenny1 wrote:

Well, that got the jvm version and path issues out of the way. Are you installing as a regular user and not admin?

no, i'm definetely an admin. it's ok though. i finally just ended up downloading the platform independent zipped version and that works on both systems. i still don't know why the installer wasn't working though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:04 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

krazy_kenny1 wrote:
Gadget wrote:
krazy_kenny1 wrote:

no, i'm definetely an admin. it's ok though. i finally just ended up downloading the platform independent zipped version and that works on both systems. i still don't know why the installer wasn't working though...

That is pretty strange. When given a choice, I usually grab a jar file over a exe or some other binary installation.

So how is NetBeans treating you?