Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: News on Android vs iPad vs MSFT in the corporate space
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:29 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

I was going through some of the news entries on Dice's Android channel when I came across a video on business apps that looked promising. It turned out a bit different than I expected, but according to the video, which isn't very clear about the source, the numbers for businesses considering tablets are:
  • Android 44%
  • iPad 27%
  • Microsoft 3%

I'm not sure what happened to the 26% of the corps or people polled, perhaps they're not in the market for tablets. The thing that surprised me the most is how far MS is behind in this space (considering how dominate they are in the business / IT sector).

Post subject: Re: News on Android vs iPad vs MSFT in the corporate space
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:20 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Gadget wrote:
I was going through some of the news entries on Dice's Android channel when I came across a video on business apps that looked promising. It turned out a bit different than I expected, but according to the video, which isn't very clear about the source, the numbers for businesses considering tablets are:
  • Android 44%
  • iPad 27%
  • Microsoft 3%

I'm not sure what happened to the 26% of the corps or people polled, perhaps they're not in the market for tablets. The thing that surprised me the most is how far MS is behind in this space (considering how dominate they are in the business / IT sector).

I'm not surprised, in the business desktop space, there's really not a good / viable alternative to Windows, but iOS5/iOS6 & Android are definitely worthy alternatives in the Tablet space. Personally, I'll take iOS6 (even though I wish I could revert back to iOS5) on my iPad, or any of the top end Android tablets over any Windows 8 tablet without a second thought.

There are a lot of IT guys who would love for an alternative to Windows for business PC use to become available. But a business system really needs to be targeted at the computer illiterate. 90% of the co-workers in my office don't have a clue how to do simple tasks like filtering incoming email or even using their email address book, so alternative OS's are really not a good idea for business desktops, too much retraining of the idiots using the machines...

Post subject: Re: News on Android vs iPad vs MSFT in the corporate space
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:33 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Gadget wrote:

MSFT's behind because they took forever releasing a tablet but I think Surface will gain some traction. If anything else, it might actually steal some of Android and iOS market share. Surface is surprisingly well executed: good hardware, a single kernel for all devices...I went to a Windows 8 User Group and they talked about how Windows 8 Metro can use both HTML/Javascript and XAML for development.

Anyways, I'm thinking of picking one up (Surface) and do some dev work on it.