Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Theater Research TR-6020 5.1 Surround Sound System 850Watts
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:13 pm 

Hello everyone.... :D I am just wondering if anyone has ever heard of, and/or had personal expirence with a home theater system that my dad bought. Its by a company called Theater Research..... I have never heard of them. My dad bought the model TR-6020 and the Suggested Retail price of the system is $2,199.00 . My dad got it all for ONLY $200.00 . :twisted: It is BRAND new and still packaged in the plastic wrap and in the box, and the guy gave us the receipt showing where he purchased it online, but they sent him 3 units when he only purchased 1 . He was selling this one my dad bought, plus another one, but my dad didnt have another 200.00 to purchase the other one. He gave it to me as a B-Day Present.... I just havent EVER heard of this brand and wanted to know if anyone else has and/or does own a system from this company, and what they think about the quality of the sound.... I havent opened it, well I opened the box to look at the stuff but all the speakers, and subwoofer, ect.. is still wrapped seperately in plastic wrap... I might see if the guy still has the other one Monday and buy it IF he still has it. The one I got is in the Platinum color, the other one is Black... If anyone can message me back that has expirence with this brand, or knows someone that has this brand and has heard the system and tell whether my dad REALLY :roll: got a good price for it I would really appreciate it...
Like I said the Suggested Retail on the box is $2,199.00, but MOST manufactorers ALWAYS OVERLY price the SUGGESTED retail price....

Any ways, thanks in advance!!!

S. Wesley (Wes) M.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:24 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

never heard of em, the even scarier part is that their website, http://www.trtheaterresearch.com/ , says they are doing maintnence today, oct 5, 2003.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:31 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

athlon11 beat me to it. they don't seem like the most reputable company out there.

if i were you, i'd do some extensive testing on the sytem you bought already before you purchase another one. just set it up as soon as you can and start using it right away. if, by the time monday afternoon rolls around, you think the system is worth $200, go ahead and buy the other one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:43 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

That brand is sitting right up there with KLH. For crying out loud, you can find those on eBay from one person selling a pair for $1 (starting bid) to some other one having a $3,800 (starting bid), I would personally NOT pay a dime for those things. Go to eBay and type that name and you'll come up with 85 auctions, but it doesn't stop there. You can find other weird brand name speakers.
If you really want the best speakers money can buy, head to Definitive Technology, they've come up with even better speakers this year. Get a pair of the new BP7006. The best speakers for a Home Theater.
Theater Research are worth about $10 a pair in my book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:10 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

dob1224 wrote:
That brand is sitting right up there with KLH. For crying out loud, you can find those on eBay from one person selling a pair for $1 (starting bid) to some other one having a $3,800 (starting bid), I would personally NOT pay a dime for those things. Go to eBay and type that name and you'll come up with 85 auctions, but it doesn't stop there. You can find other weird brand name speakers.
If you really want the best speakers money can buy, head to Definitive Technology, they've come up with even better speakers this year. Get a pair of the new BP7006. The best speakers for a Home Theater.
Theater Research are worth about $10 a pair in my book.
definitive definitely isnt bad, but id rather spend the same amount on a B&W speaker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:41 pm 

Wes,

I think your dad over paid for them. To me, they look like a knock off on a BOSE setup. As far as 850W..... hmmm I dont think so.... maybe at a spike but not at RMS. I found one on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 92746&rd=1

Sorry fella....... sometimes it is good sticking with know companies.

Post subject: Hmmmm.........
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:20 am 

It would be interesting to see how they sound though. Even if they are cheap. Just my .02. Let us know how they sound!

Confusedsoul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:26 pm 

honestly it sound like a modern version of kirby vacum cleaner scheme same thing you can't buy them in stores only through dealers and like kirbys they have a high msrp something like 2 grand but the reps can lower the price to just about anything

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:32 pm 

THIS IS A SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These guys usually go around in white vans and flag people down and tell em they have extra blah blah blah. Its been going on for years. Return them if you can, this is a scam!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:09 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Scammed, eh?

That's why you don't ever buy stuff from people who profess to know more than you do about a product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:18 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

White VAN SCAM, Sell em out of the back of their vans. One guy claiming to be some sort of surfer dude. Saying they where doing installs and have some left over.

Could of probably got them for under a 100.

Now onto the scam part. Technically its not a scam because you did receive a product. If they sound good to you then who cares where you got em. Not the best quality in general. But your ears are the only ones that matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:29 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

and to be 100% honest, even a decent sounding 5.1 system for $200 is a great price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:20 pm 

:o Well actually I decided to finally hook the system up and it didnt sound half bad... I mean I have def. heard MUCH better sound from other systems.. but it didnt sound HALF as bad as I thought it would. The bass if actually clean, and thumps decently deep...
I told my dad not to buy the other system, and not to buy anything else like that till I am able to check things out on the internet...
Im not too sore seeing that some of the people I have heard paid 400-600.00 for the same system I paid 200.00 for .. I think that for the 200.00 my dad paid, it was worth it, but not any more!!! :o