Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Play line in through only one output?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:28 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Hey guys, I'm hoping this is a simple fix.

A picture's worth a thousand words, so:

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Play line in through only one output?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:08 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I'm confused how this is set up. The line-in port is outputting to both speakers and the computer output is outputting to one? And you're using the line-in as an output?

I'm going to go on a whim and think you're trying to make the Line-In an output to one speaker pair, implying quadrophonic surround. Some sound cards you can configure the line-in as an output.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:43 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

LatiosXT wrote:
I'm confused how this is set up. The line-in port is outputting to both speakers and the computer output is outputting to one? And you're using the line-in as an output?

I'm going to go on a whim and think you're trying to make the Line-In an output to one speaker pair, implying quadrophonic surround. Some sound cards you can configure the line-in as an output.

Oops, didn't label the green ones properly. I meant 'front green audio jack' and 'rear green audio jack'.

I have headphones plugged in the rear, and speakers plugged in the front. I want computer media to only play through the headphones, and the line-in audio to play only through the speakers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:00 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Ah, well we have a dilemma. The front and rear LINE OUT ports are tied, so they'll output the same thing no matter what, and I don't believe you can ever change this. If your headphones are of the USB variety however, then it looks like a different sound card to Windows. At that, you can tell your media applications to default the sound to your headphones.

I also don't believe you can force outputs to a particular channel either.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:29 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I did what I need to do, so I'll post these instructions in case someone finds this thread on Google. However, I have a new problem.

1) In the Realtek HD Audio Manager, in the 'Device Advanced Settings' window, tick the second button 'Make front and rear output devices playback two different audio streams simultaneously'.
2) In the 'Line in' tab, mute playback and turn recording volume to full.
3) Set the speakers as the default playback device. This will default all computer audio (foobar, firefox, etc) to play through the speakers. Setting the headphones as the default device sends media through the headphones. I'll explain my problem with this in a second.
4) In the control panel 'Sound' window, 'Recording' tab, open properties for the line in and ticked 'Listen to this device'. You can then set which output it will play through (I used my headphones, in this case).

Now I can play media through the speakers and the line in through my headset. However, I now realize I'd much rather have media audio sent to both. I need to figure out how to play computer audio (firefox, etc) through both the speakers and the headset. Any ideas?

Here's a picture so this actually makes sense.