Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Using HDMI from the GPU for Audio Only
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:17 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I've been thinking about getting a sound card lately and then I heard in the passing that it is possible to use the HDMI out on your GPU for audio only and then use a second connector to power your monitor.

you just need a receiver on the other end of the HDMI and a decent set of speakers obviously to take advantage of this.

I don't know much more than that so I'm looking for anyone with some input? How much more of a load would this put on your GPU? HDMI is capable of 8 channel sound but what other factors would impact the quality you would get out of this?

Can anyone point me in the right direction to read a bit more on this? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Using HDMI from the GPU for Audio Only
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:33 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I think we're going to fence here a bit. Bare with me...

HDMI is just the same as the audio and DVI going down one cable trunk. That means you can use an HDMI cable, plug it into a monitor with speakers, and both video and sound comes through it.

Do not be confused: A GPU will never be Audio only as that's what a sound card is for. It's a Graphics processor 1st and will allow audio to go through (or around) it to conjoin it in the output (HDMI). But it IS possible to utilize the go through/around of the GPU's HDMI output to feed sound and then use the video card's other allowable outputs for video.

Is that the best? Who knows? So far we're just debating possibilities? What are you working with, what are you aiming for, and what are your means? I'm only guessing HDMI would better suit you for sound and can live with DP/DVI/VGA for Video. I know it sounds complicated, but if you just ask what you want, you can get a lot of help around here with many more options than the "standard".

Post subject: Re: Using HDMI from the GPU for Audio Only
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:27 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

yeah I've found a bit more pieces of info here and there and pieced together what you've basically said

GPU -> receiver -> speakers via HDMI cable

while still powering my monitor via DVI.

Will I notice a frame rate drop because the HDMI would also be carrying a video signal? (albeit an unused signal).

I ask because I use a Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600. I already know that the HDMI video signal is for 1920x1080 which subsequently causes issues should I attempt to go multi-monitor. However I gave up a multi-monitor setup in lieu of the U3011.