Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DisplayPort 1.2 versus HDMI 1.4
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:32 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

What's the current thinking on these two standards ?

I have gotten the impression that for gaming, the GPU card- to- monitor connection is generally better served by DisplayPort.

Is this correct ?

Post subject: Re: DisplayPort 1.2 versus HDMI 1.4
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:00 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Well, not to dumb down the debate, but it's all about what monitor it is and not all about the port selected. To add, would an IPS on a DVI really be better on a Display Port? I don't see that at all and feel it's a sidestep from HDMI as a different standard. I don't think the apples to apples is really there yet to allow a great debate of these standards.

DP, IMO, Is just a better standard that should be adopted to kill the plethora of connections available on any computer. My iTX has VGA, DVI, HDMI, and DP...4 video outputs leads me to feel like there is no standard, yet ditching any one of them (But VGA) would leave adopters in the dust.

Someone's got to give. DP hasn't caught on quick enough because of all the happy DVI/HDMI users out there. Us Maximum type can only preach to the others to upgrade, but that may not happen like we think it will. DP could really die just like BetaMax or HD DVD...quality doesn't always win given the market adoption. With tablets, phones, and laptops ruling the market right now, Display Port isn't really a huge desire for most of "them". Intel's awesome Lightning isn't wide spread either given that USB 3.0 spreads easily as butter over all formats.

We're left behind by demands when we're given pacifiers. It's all just fast enough for the normal Joe. What about us? Well yeah...it's been that way for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:04 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Does DP and HDMI have the same DRM you need to play BR movies? If not, that is why DP will fall by the wayside.

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:33 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I plan to use my rig just for gaming, and eventually use a 24+" LED 3D monitor (w/ at least 1920x1080). My GPU card has both HDMI and mini-DP sockets, but my current monitor does not support DP (so I am using HDMI). It seems that for 3D on my next monitor (I have yet to choose it -- any suggestions ?), I should go with DP, although it is not clear to my if/why it will be better than HDMI.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:02 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The problem with the digital age is you can't improve it like you can in the analog world. The signal's going to be perfect and really the only thing you can increase is "looks good on whitepaper" specs.

However, I believe the only time DP will ever pick up is when we start making monitors that are more than 2560x1440 standard. Until then, DVI does the job just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:49 am 

DP has a higher adoption than you think. Every apple that is manufactured today uses DP as an output, if were talking mac books here. Even the thunderbolt Hard drives use a DP cable to carry the data.

Anybody running Eyefinity needs a DP monitor or the proper adapter. I'm one of those people, and while we may not have a huge corner on the market, it is a growing home PC setup.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:31 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
who gives a fuck about what apple does, the difference is one carries sound the other doesn't, who really needs it (unless you use a tv as a monitor) I have and use both, there is no discernible difference between them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:52 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Advoc wrote:
Even the thunderbolt Hard drives use a DP cable to carry the data.

Thunderbolt uses PCI-Express for data.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:14 pm 

It uses PCI-Express AND DisplayPort

Sure there is no discernible difference between HDMI and DP, just like there's no difference between DVI and HDMI. The difference is the protocol, and that's what makes it powerful. DP an sync displays the same way a word clock can synchronize audio interfaces, which leads to the ability to do things like Multi-Monitor gaming with much less fuss than with HDMI / DVI. Also, HDMI is a licensed technology that requires royalty payments to use. DP is open source hardware, and is royalty free.

That last point is a powerful argument in itself for widespread adoption. I can't imagine how much money all of the big display manufacturing companies pay in royalties to the HDMI spec.

Don't forget also, that everybody cares about what apple does. That's why nearly everybody has been copying them so much in the last 5 years.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:18 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

well apple is innovative, i will grant that, but with only 15% of the market share, 85% of the people agree with me. those percentages are likely much different on this site. no, I dont care what Apple does, I own nothing they manufacture, and will own nothing they make in the future. which leads me to ask just what do you own made by them.

tech changes all the time, it has to so they can sell you new stuff, a simple plug is not going to dictate what monitor I buy, and I or anyone buying a product is the one paying for the hdmi interface not the manufacturer. the cost of the cables alone is enough to sour me on the interface

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:38 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Advoc wrote:
It uses PCI-Express AND DisplayPort

Except that video data chews up a lot of bandwidth on DisplayPort's offering, and I'm pretty sure most manufacturers don't the maximum spec for cost reasons.

Quote:
That last point is a powerful argument in itself for widespread adoption. I can't imagine how much money all of the big display manufacturing companies pay in royalties to the HDMI spec.

It doesn't matter when it's the most widespread interface. You could say the same thing to anything that costs money to use, like Windows, development for gaming platforms other than Android or Windows, etc. etc.

Quote:
Don't forget also, that everybody cares about what apple does. That's why nearly everybody has been copying them so much in the last 5 years.

Only in chassis design. Apple tends to copy everyone else in the software realm and rebadge it as some magical new feature.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:27 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Apple is like Harley-Davidson:
their marketing geniuses have beguiled the public with more style than substance,
allowing them to charge (and get) way more for their products than they're worth,
IMHO (and be it ever so "H") :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:59 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Apple pcs are for stupid yuppies that can't build their own psc. :mrgreen:

Apple products all have worms in them as well :twisted:

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:02 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The only reason why everyone seems to copy Apple is because Apple has a great marketing team. Everything else Apple has come up since Jobs took over with was taken from some other product that wasn't as popular.

Like I remember one of the cool new features of OS X 10.5 was the ability to switch users without logging out completely. A feature already in Windows XP.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:06 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

And isn't OS X a Linux variant ?

But stealing/buying other people's ideas is, after all, how dear old Uncle Bill made his fortune
(that and staffing more lawyers than engineers :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:39 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Unit52 wrote:
And isn't OS X a Linux variant ?

OS X is a UNIX OS. Linux is a UNIX-Like OS. The only difference is one has full POSIX compliance.

Quote:
But stealing/buying other people's ideas is, after all, how dear old Uncle Bill made his fortune

I want to say he just got greedy in the 90s and cleaned up since then. He has that weight on his back. Whereas Steve Jobs went into of obscurity and came out of it and went after another market.

Honestly though, I find Bill Gates to be the better man.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:39 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

I wouldn't say obscurity, he developed his own apple clone, the NeXT computer, it was right next door to the Fry's in Fremont before they moved to a 10 times bigger store (Fry's).

then came the NeXT cube. after that one Apple hired him back for a ridiculous amount of money.