Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: OCZ is out of the memory game
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:45 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

It's a late update, may have been stated before in my absence, haven't seen it here on MPC; but OCZ will no longer be making memory for our PC's. They've just re-focused on greener pastures in their other spawning markets. They're just killing it in the SSD market and can let go of the saturated DDR arena I guess.

They entered the market very poorly and we just hated them here in our other versions of this forum, then they kicked it in gear and I haven't looked back. Hey, Mushkin were the great names back then too so things change obviously. It's a sad time and yet a good time that I have to venture out for another trust worthy brand. Being the old soul that I am, I'm back with Mushkin and really liking it.

How about you? Not just ex-OCZ users, but in general? Be careful about the rules too...I don't like Corsair one bit, but I won't bite your head off for saying they rock; and no one else should. Have you guys and gals tried G.Skill, Patriot, Mushkin, or others with great general feedback for us zealots looking for another brand? I think I found my new brand (again), it seems a bit undermined, but would love to just hear general feedback.

Post subject: Re: OCZ is out of the memory game
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:57 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Yep, you're a couple months late on that :wink: .

Read that Mushkin was great. But that was 6 years ago though when we were still using Athlon XPs and s478 P4s. I haven't read much up on them since then, seems like they don't get "reviewed" as often as corsair or g. skill do.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:09 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino

For a couple of years I bought nothing but OCZ. I was burned by Crucial so I haven't tried them again.

I've been using GSkill for the last two years and haven't looked back. In fact I just installed two new sticks in my makeshift server. They match the two sticks that I purchased back in '09.

In fact the only systems I haven't put GSkill in are our laptops. They have whatever HP was using at the time of manufacturting.

n0b0dykn0ws

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:09 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I have used Crucial, Kingston and Corsair and never had any issues with any of them.

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:38 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Damn! No more OCZ ram?! I didn't think I resided in a cave, but this is indeed news to me. They've been my hands down favorite for a quite a number of years. They really grabbed me a few years ago with their XMP, simply fantastic sticks! Other builds have included G.Skill and they've been solid even at some hard OC'ing. A few Corsair builds but I've found them to be a little finicky to OC and sometimes over-priced...and over-spec'd. Also a few Kingston builds. But I've never used Mushkin or Crucial. I suppose I'll keep buying OCZ until supply is gone then migrate to predominately G.Skill.

Where is the news source or press release of this OCZ decision?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:02 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

Long time OCZ fan, I will miss the Platinum Series. I bout 2 GB of of DDR PC3200 Platinum for about $200 bucks new in the beginning of the Athlon 64 days and sold them a few months ago on ebay for $120.

The last two ram purchases Ive made since OCZ is out of the picture have been GSkill.

I have been impressed as hell for the price/performance. Used to think of them as a cheap brand but now they are my go to supplier for ram.

Ive also got a 700 watt GameXStream PSU thats been solid as a rock for me for years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:21 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Call me crazy but I think G.Skill is poised to take over the extreme/enthusiast segment.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:44 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

G. Skill came out of f'kin nowhere and owned the market.

In other news, Samsung sold their HDD division to Seagate.

Seagate Barracuda F5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:19 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

GSkill is a Taiwanese company so looking to their website for recommended settings and tweaking can be...ahhh...just a bit challenging. Whoever does their translating needs some real practice. It can take a few rereads to figure out what GSkill is actually saying you should do. Regardless, they know their stuff so once you figure what they're suggesting, no big deal on pushing/OCing their stuff.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:45 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I've been a long-time user and fan of OCZ's RAM and was very disappointed and rabidly pissed to find out what I did about them closing their RAM division, so when I upgraded from 4GB to my current 8GB setup, I went with Patriot instead. I was considering other brands at the time, such as Corsair and Crucial, but the Patriot ones were the only ones even remotely decent in reviews, etc.

And btw, G.Skill has always been a great memory manufacturer from what I've seen. I remember when they first surfaced here in the States, and their stuff was just awesome from the get-go! One of the best thing about their RAM is compatibility, it's just crazy how fairly perfect they are in that part. Other than that, I'm still always going to be wary of and pissed at OCZ no matter what. They really burned me on that since I just bought my RAM last year and now if it goes bad I'm SOL with it. Fuck them. It's not like BFG who went under completely, OCZ made a choice to say "fuck you" to us consumers who've purchased RAM from them. Lifetime Warranty my ass! And since they made their announcement, resale value on my 2 kits of 2x1GB DDR2 PC2-6400 went to crap, I'd be extremely lucky to get $120 out of it all total.