Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sound card worth it?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:57 pm 

I'm having trouble deciding on a birthday gift. I've narrowed it down to either an ASUS Xonar DX soundcard, or buying a shitload of games. I primarily use my PC for gaming, though it sees frequent music/movie playback use. I use the Razer Orca headphones as well as the Logitech X-540 5.1 speaker system. Would I see a noticeable improvement over the P8P67 Pro's onboard sound? Would getting the card be worth it, or should I just buy the games?

Post subject: Re: Sound card worth it?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:43 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

card runs like 100-200bucks

that doesnt really sound like a "shitload of games" :x

card too, anytime, regardless who makes it, superior over onboard anything. at least as far as computer audio goes..
and a card will definitely have impact on your framerates in games.

this all just in my own opinion [;

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:26 pm 

So it would be worth it with my setup?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:06 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

You might notice a difference in audio quality but it will NOT improve your framerates in games. Windows (from Vista onward) does not do hardware acceleration for audio anymore so whether you have onboard sound or a separate card will not make a difference. However you will get cleaner sound from a separate sound card than the onboard sound. I typically only recommend them for folks that are using higher end audio equipment from the likes of Grado, Audio Technica, Sennheiser or AKG. In your case I would just go with buying a ton of games as the difference you'll notice will be negligible at best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:09 pm 

Thanks for the info. Games it is

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:42 am 

I have Asus rampage III extreme motherboard. Sound quality onboard is good enough, but i was interested allso is any diffrence with dedicated sound card.
And answer is yes!
I bought Asus Xonar D2X, and sound quality is clearler, louder, more clear bass. I using Grado Sr80 headphones and logitech Z5500 5.1 system. And can say that its worth evry penny.
thing is if you asking about diffrence, you interested in best sound quality.
So just buy some dedicated sound card. Don`t think to much!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:45 am 

P.S. DO not buy games :) you can download them ALL from torrent sites :) Save massive amount of money. Of course if you playing all your games online, then you can buy them.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:24 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Artcheezzz wrote:
P.S. DO not buy games :) you can download them ALL from torrent sites :) Save massive amount of money. Of course if you playing all your games online, then you can buy them.

Just a little word to the wise. Please don't advocate the use of torrent sites for the download of games.

Thank You
Ron

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:24 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I have the Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard, and I'm absolutely thrilled I spent the money on it.....having said that, I bought it more for the hi-fi audio end of things...not just gaming or playing your average MP3's. It has a built in headphone amp/dac, which is nice although I have higher end ones I run the signal through, but it plays pretty much top end audiophile quality recordings. So for me, yes a nice sound card was worth it, but I'm also not really a gamer. So the way I would look at it is....will i get more hours of enjoyment out of buying some games, or hearing more sound out of the ones I have now? Also what you're playing the sound through will also play a role in this, cant leave it all up to the soundcard, and to be honest I haven't heard a "great" set of pc speakers in a long time.