Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hook Laptop Up To HDTV?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:44 pm 

What's up guys. I'm trying to connect my Dell Latitude E4310 laptop to my Denon AVR-790 receiver, in order to output Ustream and Justin.tv to my HDTV.

This is not a very capable laptop; all it's offering is a VGA out and a headphone jack. The Denon receiver has inputs for HDMI, component, S-video, composite (yellow-plug), and RCA audio. But there is no VGA input.

1) Can I possibly get a 1080 signal to the TV via that VGA out? The laptop screen maxes at 1366x768. (if not I will ultimately build a custom media PC, but I'm still interested in a short-term "good enough" solution)

2) I assume I cannot convert VGA output on the laptop to an HDMI input on the receiver. So I'm left with Component, S-video, or composite. Which should I choose? How do I convert the VGA output to any of these?

3) How do I get the sound from the laptop's headphone jack to the source selected in question 2?

Thanks for the time, appreciate any help.

Post subject: Re: Hook Laptop Up To HDTV?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:37 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I'm doing this right now with my laptop and HD monitor.

I use a VGA to DVI adapter. It's still an analog signal so it's not as crisp if it were DVI or HDMI.

Even though my laptop's screen only goes to 1440x900 the VGA out can go higher. With mine it easily does 1920x1200.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:36 am 

Ah, thanks Satchboy. I used to do the same when my old video card had one DVI out and one VGA out. Thanks for confirmation that a laptop can output higher than it's screen resolution.

But, like I listed above, my receiver does not have any DVI-in ports. So I need component, S-video, or composite.

And you know, the more I type on here, the more I realize I don't even have questions anymore. I think I just need a VGA to component converter, and a 3.5mm to RCA converter. Then I'll be set.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:09 pm 

Well the VGA to component adapter was an epic fail. My Denon receiver has an atrocious instruction manual...not only poorly written in general, but obviously by someone who did not have English as their first language.

So I just couldn't get my receiver to display component video on my TV. And due to my TV being mounted high on the wall, nearly flush with it, there is no room to plug directly into the TV.

For future searchers who find this and may have similar goal as me, I bought a Logitech Revue GoogleTV unit, only $250. Cheaper than building a media center PC and it will play YouTube, Ustream, and Justin.tv. I've been using it for an hour and my only complaint is it must have a slow processor because navigating around webpages is herky jerky. But the 1080 videos play fine.