Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Drill Through Walls to Connect PC to HDTV
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:43 am 

Hey guys. So my PC is in a completely different room than my HDTV, but I want to output to my TV as if it were a third monitor. I'm running two monitors out of my GTX 260 right now...the main one is 1920x1080, which matches my 1080p HDTV (if that matters).

I don't want to string a messy cable between the rooms and a wireless solution (if one even exists) will not work because there is a wireless dead space between the rooms. So what I'm looking at is having some dudes from Best Buy come over and route wire up through my walls to connect the TV and PC.

But before I call them, I was hoping some of you fine folks would offer comments on my plan.

1) Will it even be possible to route 30+ feet of video cable between my PC and HDTV? It's going to be a quite a distance. What kind of cable should I be using?

2) Since I'm already using both outputs on my GTX 260, I guess I'll have to upgrade to a card with three outputs. Is this really necessary or could I somehow get something that "switches" between my HDTV and 1920x1080 monitor? I won't need both simultaneously.

Thanks for reading. I hope to get some recommendations!

Post subject: Re: Drill Through Walls to Connect PC to HDTV
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:58 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

What you're describing is going to a pain in the butt.

First of all, HDMI at long runs can be finicky. That doesn't mean it can't be done, just that it needs to be done right, so I'd throw the idea of Best Buy doing it out the window.

As far as switching goes, you can either get a remote controlled switch. I don't know of any RF models thought, so you might have to wire an IR repeater.

You haven't given a budget.

One thing that might be better is HDMI over CAT5e/6. It normally takes two cables and the adapters are expensive.

n0b0dykn0ws

Post subject: How To Watch Justin.tv, ustream, and YouTube on my HDTV
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:43 am 

I don't have a hard budget, let's just say I'm willing to spend several hundreds of dollars. $400?

Finicky video over a long cable is definitely not what I'm looking for. Let's re-frame this thread:

I want to watch Justin.tv, Ustream, and YouTube on my big screen. I have a PS3, which I understand could be used for this, but I tried to watch some YouTubeXL on it a few months back and it was limited to 480p...not to mention the interface was crap.

Do I have other options?

*Edit*
Thinking out loud here, maybe my best best would be to build a small, cheap media PC? I could park that thing next to the TV and be good to go.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:33 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

I haven't searched in a while.

This looks like part of a solution.

You'd still need to find an IR extender/repeater so you can control your computer somehow. (I'm thinking IR keyboard/mouse)

Combine it with something like this and you'll leave the output to both your TV and monitor at all times.

The only possible drawback about that is if you run into over/underscan issues.

Still, looks like you can do it for cheap if you do it yourself, or even if you have someone run the Cat5e/6.

n0b0dykn0ws

Post subject: Re: How To Watch Justin.tv, ustream, and YouTube on my HDTV
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:34 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

mclovin wrote:
Thinking out loud here, maybe my best best would be to build a small, cheap media PC? I could park that thing next to the TV and be good to go.

This. I encourage this.

Especially since it doesn't take a lot of money, and you could even run Linux if you don't have a spare legal/valid Windows key.

n0b0dykn0ws

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:40 am 

Thanks for the time, Nobody. I may post on the forum again as I consider how to build the media PC.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:29 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino

Just so you know; in the future if you want tips on Media PCs or streaming (or such things) the Multimedia Madhouse is a much better place for such topics.

n0b0dykn0ws