Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PowerDVD 10. Why I cannot use some menu functions on movies?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:12 pm 

I have recently purchased on line the Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 Ultra 3D (a back up disc was also ordered and received). The program was installed in my new HTPC and worked fine with all kinds of discs (BD, DVD, CD).

A few days ago, I ripped and stored in one of the PC hard drives a BD movie (Quantum of Solace), complete with its menus, languages and subtitles, using the AnyDVD HD software. Later, I also ripped and stored a DVD (Fantastic Four), again complete, with all its contents, this time using the good old DVD Decrypter.

Before storing these two movies, I checked to see if the PowerDVD plays them correctly and I was quite amazed how well this was done. Then I tried to play the ripped movies, but neither on the first nor on the second I can activate certain functions that were available when playing the actual discs, like selection of audio languages, subtitles, scene selection etc.

A right click on the screen pops up a small dialog window, but these functions are totally deactivated, while fully functioning on the actual discs. There is no doupt that the ripping process was complete, because I can play these movies with other players, like e.g. the Media Player Classic.

A very brief configuration of my HTPC. It consists of the following:
- Gigabyte motherboard GA-EP35C-DS3R rev. 2.1
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 "Kentsfield", 2.66GHz CPU
- Kingston SSD Now V Series 64GB system disc
- 3 x WD10EADS storage HDDs of 1TB capacity each
- 4 Dimms x 1GB each DDR2 Kingston RAM
- LG Super MultiBlue CH-10 BD/DVD-R/RW optical drive
- Sapphire ATI HD5770, 1GB DDR5 Graphics Card
- Windows 7 Pro 64-bit O.S.
The PowerDVD Ultra 10 has recently been updated to version 10.0.2429.51, which is the latest I believe.

I have asked Cyberlink about this problem, but I have no answer yet (it's too early, actually).

Can anyone help me on this issue?
Thanks in advance.
-

Post subject: Re: PowerDVD 10. Why I cannot use some menu functions on mov
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:34 am 

I am uploading a "printscreen" image from my PC, showing the disabled functions. The picture may seem a little blurry, but someone can see that some functions appear in bright white, while others in grey (disabled).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:14 pm 

Anyone?

Post subject: Problem solved!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:18 am 

Good afternoon (or evening) to all again

With the assistance of some guys from another local forum, I found the causes of the problem and the solutions for them. I am posting them for your guidance. Here we go:

A. For a ripped Blu-Ray, it is necessary this to be done in ISO files. This can be selected when using AnyDVD HD. Thenafter, and when the movie has been stored in a hard drive, a virtual drive is necessary to be used, since PowerDVD DOES NOT reproduce ISO files, if these are not played by a driver. In other words, the ripped movie will be "seen" as a physical disc in a physical drive, if the files in it are ISO and there is a drive, no matter if this is physical or virtual. The best virtual drive is the Elaborate Bytes Virtual CloneDrive, which is free and can be downloaded from http://www.slysoft.com (the site for AnyDVD).

B. For the ripped DVD I was making the mistake to open the .VOB files. Instead, I went up one level and found the VIDEO_TS folder (which contained all .VOB files). When I hit PLAY on it, the movie came to my screen with all its menus, bells and whistles and I could manage to see and select subtitles, select audio languages and format, etc.

Have a good afternoon.
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:11 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hey, I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to post the solution. I had been wondering that about powerdvd 10 ultra myself. Thank you! :lol: