Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SAMSUNG/NETFLIX STREAMING PROBLEMS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:18 pm 

I recently purchased a Samsung blu-ray dvd player with netflix streaming capability. I have a wireless router and purchased a samsung wireless device but the router is too far away. My pc and router are upstairs and the hdtv and blu-ray player are downstairs. I have an old comcast modem but but comcast blocked that device. Can I buy a new modem and use it without comcast blocking it ? They want to charge me $45/month to watch netflix..any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:46 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

huh? Exactly what is comcast wanting to charge $45 for, because I have a hard time believing that it's to access netflix's service.

Are you looking to connect your blu-ray player via ethernet bby chance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:34 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

You don't want a modem. You want a router. Plug your router into your modem, and your computer into your router. If you cannot get a wireless signal on your Blu-ray player, then run an ethernet cable from the router to the player. Its that simple.

Post subject: samsung/netflix
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:50 pm 

I have a wireless router upstairs...to far for wireless and too far for a cable. i had an old comcast modem that i hooked up to the cable outlet by our hdtv and comcast hdcable box...i have a 1 to 2 splitter...hooded one cable to the hd cablebox and the other to the modem...it worked for awhile until comcast blocked their old modem. they want $45/monthy to hook up the old modem. If i buy a new modem (that isnt from comcast) from best buy and hook it up with the splitter and ethernet cabel do you think it would work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:20 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino

So you have a second modem that Comcast had provided previously for their service, and you're trying to use it in addition to the current router.

Is that correct?

That would explain why they want the additional $45 a month.

That's a second internet connection.

No, getting a modem from Best Buy or anywhere else won't work, and please don't ask to get around this as it would be theft of internet service, and against the forum rules.

You need to run cable, try a repeater, or try to move the wifi router to a better spot.

n0b0dykn0ws

Post subject: Re: samsung/netflix
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:20 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

labguy49 wrote:
I have a wireless router upstairs...to far for wireless and too far for a cable. i had an old comcast modem that i hooked up to the cable outlet by our hdtv and comcast hdcable box...i have a 1 to 2 splitter...hooded one cable to the hd cablebox and the other to the modem...it worked for awhile until comcast blocked their old modem. they want $45/monthy to hook up the old modem. If i buy a new modem (that isnt from comcast) from best buy and hook it up with the splitter and ethernet cabel do you think it would work?

No, and then you'd be stealing cable. As much as i hate comcast, its not their fault that your router isnt strong enough to transmit to where you have your TV. The only reason the "old" modem worked at all is because at one point in time comcast had it registered in their system to your account, if you go and out and buy a brand new modem its just going to sit on your TV stand and blink because comcast has not activated it.

what is the distance from your router to your TV? What kind of router do you currently have? how much money are you willing to spend on new hardware in order to get this to work? Are you opposed to cutting holes in your wall and running Ethernet cable throughout the house?