Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need to replace DVD Flick with something better
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:17 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

DVD Flick is worth the price of zero dollars. While many videos I encode work fine, too many have trouble with stutter and stopping during playback once burned to DVD.

I'd like to find something better and keep the price at $50 or less. Can anyone suggest a replacement?

Post subject: Re: Need to replace DVD Flick with something better
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:20 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

tehR0XX0Rz wrote:
DVD Flick is worth the price of zero dollars. While many videos I encode work fine, too many have trouble with stutter and stopping during playback once burned to DVD.

I'd like to find something better and keep the price at $50 or less. Can anyone suggest a replacement?

In all my years of using DVD Flick on at least five different PCs and three different set-top DVD players, I've never run across this.
Might I ask if you've tried different brands of DVD media?
Have you tried different DVD burners?
Does this happen for you consistently on any one DVD player, or is it all of them?
Which version of DVD Flick do you use? The last one released, 1.3.0.7 had known problems, especially with Flash video. I have only used the previous version, 1.3.0.6, with no problems at all.
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dvdf ... .3.0.6.exe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:53 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I do have 1.3.0.7 installed. I'm uninstalling it right now, and will replace it with the older version. Hopefully, that will remedy things. I'll post back after giving it a run.

Aside from that, I burn hundreds of DVDs (backing up my own personal data, of course) every year. The only DVDs I have trouble with are the ones encoded by DVD Flick. Many work just fine, while others do not. I seem to have the most trouble with very short videos. It could also be the fault of the incredibly lousy DVD/VCR combo unit I use at school.

Hopefully the switch to the older 1.3.0.6 will fix the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:40 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Those combo DVD/VCR units do have a pretty lousy reputation, but I won't point fingers yet :D.

When using DVD Flick, it's been my experience that it's best to let your rig do nothing else. When I've websurfed, or checked email or anything else seemingly innocent, I occasionally get audio sync problems when DVD Flick is combining the audio and video.. Later on in the process, if I'm doing something else at the same time, DVD Flick's built-in ImgBurn package might cough up a hairball when verifying data. Even videos with foreign alphabet titles, like Russian, will stop DVD Flick in its tracks, claiming that there's no video stream. Changing the video title to English fixes the problem.

Please let me know how downgrading to 1.3.0.6 works out.