Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HP customer support screwed up my HDD!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:29 am 

I called them about using the recovery partition of my dv5 laptop to reinstall the OS for a clean start. They told me what to do, then, just far enough into the recovery so that the OS and Bootmgr are gone, the thing freezes. When I told HP support, they apoligized because the guy FORGOT TO TELL ME TO TURN ON THE WLAN OR IT WOULD NOT WORK! Then they tell me I have to buy new recovery discs because appearently mine are bad. When i tried to reinstall the OS, which failed, and then tried two different XP discs, which also failed, and got a message that the BOOTMGR is missing! When i told them this they addmitted they were wrong AGAIN! I had to send it in to have the HDD re-imaged. Thank god it was under warrenty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:45 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

What does having the wireless interface turned on have to do with re-imaging the partition? That makes no sense at all...

If you have the time your best bet is to make them fix it under warranty. If not you have options:

If you have access to XP disks why not just install by hand? You can get all the drivers from HP's website; it will take a little longer but in the end the result is the same.

If you decide to go this route you will have to use the diskpart command line tool to remove the recovery partition. HP placed this at the front of the drive and it can cause problems with OS installations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:57 am 

Its already been fixed. They told me about the WLAN. They said that happens alot. I know that makes no sense. The whole XP disc thing wouldnt work. I kept getting error messeges and bootmgr is missing.