Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Acanac ISP
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:04 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

These guys offered a great deal... $18.95/month CAD for unlimited download at 5000 down/800 up if you signed up for a year, so I did.

My contract started Oct 1, 2008 and was to expire Sept 30, 2009.

Here it is on Sept 18 and I am on day 2 without home Internet. They pulled the plug almost 2 weeks early and are refusing to re-instate or refund.

They are arguing that I called in last week to cancel my service yet cannot produce any documentation stating exactly which day and time I called.

Yar.. I was supposed to be coordinating a business trip to Chicago this weekend from at home.. guess it'll be waiting until Monday when I get back to work! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:57 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

DID you call short of the expiration? If you did, you didn't warn them to cancel...you canceled at that point.

If you called last week to cancel, which you more than likely did, it stopped there. And why it stopped. If you never called them, you'd have service.

Read the EULA again. Most will state, "when you cancel, it stops instantly" It also states a re-enlist clause where "if you don't cancel, it'll continue when due".

If you want to battle this, you better have your ducks in order. Are you saying you didn't call to cancel? Then why did you call? Are you willing to sue the for a couple days of internet access and give evidence you didn't cancel service? You have phone records to show you didn't call them, because they do.

Also I note that on day two without internet, you're able to post on a public forum. You still have internet. You can go to Chicago without internet, and that's a fact Jack. On Sept 18th at 1705, you could work with this coordination. And at any time I assume you have a phone.

If all digital transactions failed, you still have the US Postal service. I can mail a hand written letter anywhere in the us in 3 days for under a pence. Or, pick up the phone. Don't let the lack of internet, which you may have canceled unwittingly, be an issue someone else is responsible for let alone be in the DoG Pound for.

Have you tried to talk to them at all verbally? Done anything offensively besides passive complaints?

In the end, I bet ya I can do a trip to Chi-town without internet connections. I mean, the gold rush happened without the internet...so I bet you can figure this out too. From here, I just drive East, follow signs, and end up there. Having lived there for two years, I can find it. If not, it's on google maps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:08 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Wow, assuming a lot aren't you?

1). My first time calling them was after my Internet cut out, not before like you say (odd how you tell me how the conversation went when you weren't there). I have been playing telephone tag with their managers since. (being the weekend there's not always one available, that's fine I understand small businesses slow down on weekends)

2). I read the EULA, you prepay for your service so if you pay for 1 year, you get 1 year. They do not automatically keep you signed on unless you call and say you want to stay on for another month/year.

3). They verified that they accidentally cut me off 1.5 weeks in advance. A Manager apologized and admitted their error on my second call when I challenged the fact that they had no records of me calling to cancel. They said they would turn it back on but it would take until Monday the 28th to be re-instated.

4). I was able to post on this forum at work on a break (notice I didn't respond to your comment over the weekend). My break's aren't several hours long so I cannot verify while on break that I am following all laws when flying from Canada to USA/back. The trip is for business/pleasure, not to accidentally smuggle something illegal into the USA.

5). I never said I couldn't get to Chicago without the Internet. I said I was supposed to be coordinating the trip from at home over the weekend.

It's rather long distance to be calling from 1 country to another with your personal cell phone line you don't have a long distance plan wouldn't you say? It costs me nearly $1/minute.

You also say I can mail letters... so since on the weekend there is no mail pickup that leaves Monday to mail a letter.. I'm pretty sure it won't get to Chicago and back by Thursday. Oh wait, since you seem to have nothing to do, why not come pick up the letter for me and deliver it?

That leaves my remaining communication tool with oh.. um... Internet! Wait, no it doesn't since there's no Internet connection. As I said in my original post, I'll just have to coordinate it from work.

Again, I never once said it was the end of the world. I inferred in my original post it was inconvenient.. that's it. It's bad customer service to break a contract and that's exactly what the Dog Pound is about.. "picking a bone"

Future MPC forum readers will know that with Acanac they can get a good deal dollarwise but know that there doesn't seem to be any checks and balances to ensure their contract is completely honoured until the final day. Is that a bad thing?

Post subject: Re: Acanac ISP
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:28 am 
Team Member
Team Member

fuzz_64 wrote:
They pulled the plug almost 2 weeks early and are refusing to re-instate or refund.

fuzz_64 wrote:
They said they would turn it back on but it would take until Monday the 28th to be re-instated.

So they didn't say they refused to re-instate but rather it couldn't be done until the 28th?

It sucks that they did that to you. It's just a bit strange your story changed is all. We like to get the full story around here so people know exactly what they up against. Some just post here due to emotions being high and want to blow off steam. That's all well and good but all the facts need to be up front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:12 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Oh I completely agree with you Lawless. My apologies for not being clear.

My first call was on Friday the 18th and at that point the CSR I was speaking was refusing to authorize a refund or re-enable the connection.

I spoke with someone who identified himself as a Manager on Saturday and again on Sunday on the phone and they noted they would look into it. They emailed this morning stating they will turn on the connection again but it would take until September 28th (my new ISP is coming that night to set me up so there's no point in having Acanac go through all the trouble of setting me up again for 1 hour's worth of usage).

To be honest if this didn't happen I would have posted about Acanac anyway (getting DSL in Canada for $18.95 for 5mb/s down and 800k up is unheard of in most of the country) but in a positive way.

I'm borrowing a Blackberry for a few days so I can at least email back and forth with the team in Chicago now.

It's a good thing hockey is back on TV or I would be so bored at home :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:57 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Good to know.
Thanks.