Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Beware of XFX motherboards!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:24 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

The other day my sister purchased an XFX 8200 GeForce motherboard (as her Biostar mobo gave up the ghost! :( ). I traveled over two hours this morning to install it (thinking that I would at least have Windows XP Pro loading on it by noon), and so far it has been a nightmare. First, I couldn't get the optical drive to function once I had the mobo installed, only to discover two hours later that we have to use the IDE cable that is supplied with the mobo in order for any PATA devices to function with this motherboard. Once we got past that, we tried hooking the computer to her Samsung 940BF LCD monitor, but when I have the DVI cable attached to the monitor and the motherboard's onboard DVI port, the monitor looks for (and fails to find) an ANALOG signal. Conversely, when I have a VGA cable attached to the VGA port on the LCD monitor and to the motherboard's onboard VGA port, the monitor looks for (and fails to find) a DIGITAL signal. The motherboard also features an LED readout (which is located near the PS/2 connectors for the mouse and the keyboard) which is there to display BIOS checkpoint codes in order to help the user troubleshoot bootup problems. The code that I am receiving is a continuous flashing "5P" which is not listed among the BIOS Checkpoint codes in the manual on the CD-ROM (A LiveSupport technician informed me that not all of the BIOS Checkpoint codes are listed in the manual on the CD---isn't that nice?????!!!!!!). Despite the forward technology featured in this motherboard (HDMI, built-in e-SATA port on the mobo, etc.), it appears that someone put something in (or several things in) ASS BACKWARDS. Oh, and I just discovered that this motherboard also has a CLEAR CMOS button in the I/O area (and the technician that I spoke to apparently did not know it!!!!! Anyway, he was nice enough to issue an RMA on one of the three tickets that we sent to tech support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:25 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

what did the flashing 5P represent? did the support guy actually tell you?

I have an LCD Poster as well and indeed, the manual fine print says not ALL codes are listed...

also, if I understand correctly, the vga and dvi connectors were actually backwards? wow, talk about a lemon board

made in where exactly?

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:14 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

No, the support person on the phone did not tell me. In fact, he seemed as clueless as I was (and still am) as to the meaning of this LED code on the board. Personally, I think it's a little-known code that the manufacturer hopes no one ever encounters, but, in case they do, they tell their support reps to give the end user some sort of silly instructions to do something that takes too long to keep the tech support people on hold, and they are instructed to perform the useless troubleshooting task(s) anyway, and to call back if the problem persists (which it will). This is all done for the sake of keeping call handle times (for the support rep) down, and to improve their call handling statistics. I may sound jaded, but believe me, I know the drill having worked tech support for nearly four years, and I know BS troubleshooting when I hear it.
And, yes, you understand correctly: Both the DVI and VGA connections appeared to be switched on this joke of a motherboard. As a matter of fact, they posted my review of this board on NewEgg's site yesterday (my review "handle" is "zipmaster").
I have no idea where this board was manufactured, but I do know that my sister is returning it to NewEgg via an RMA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:29 am 
Willamette
Willamette

And I find the problem with the onboard graphics (the DVI and VGA connector snafu) particularly damning since XFX built its reputation on DISCRETE GRAPHICS CARDS!!!!! Seems to me that they should cut their losses and stick to manufacturing those instead of trying to branch out into motherboard manufacturing. :evil: That is, unless they want to give PC Chips and Jetway a run for their money in that arena. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:46 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

lol

and yeah, I worked alot of help desk crap and I know the drill...

I stick to set up tech jobs these days, pays good, dabble in hardware and abit of end user support (you get to meet the hotties that work there :P) and you pass your time running around building and ghosting computers.

Fun stuff.

I love horror stories, even if I feel sorry for the victims... I've been pushing a proc to its limit lately, once i have a board to burn I'll let you know what happens when I pass that limit.

lol

Post subject: Beware Of XFX Motherboards-Updated
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:18 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Update: My sister took the motherboard to a local computer shop and it was found that a defective stick of RAM was responsible for all of the problems. So, rather than RMA the motherboard through NewEgg, we upgraded and replaced her RAM and all has been running smooth for about six months. However, a little over a week ago, she began experiencing random freezes and spontaneous reboots. She also lost sound from the Creative Soundblaster X-Fi ExtremeGamer card and was unable to use the scanning software in her HP All-in-One multifunction printer. After running "Check Disk" on the hard drive and finding no errors, she still had the same issues. SOOOOOO---she tried a reformat and a clean reinstallation of Windows XP Pro (SP2), but was unable to detect the X-Fi soundcard (even after reseating it) and install the drivers for it. A check of the onboard devices in the mobo's BIOS settings showed the Azalia HD onboard sound chip as "enabled". At this point, I suggested that she shut down the computer and remove the CMOS battery as I believed it to be either weak or dead. She then went to Radio Shack for a replacement and put the new battery in the mobo. This seemed to solve the problem with the CMOS settings reverting to their default settings, but now her DVD-RW drive is now "not detected" at all. Between this and an error message concerning her dual-channel memory speed, I am suspecting that this is just an RMA waiting to happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:25 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

you did try flashing the BIOS, right?
just making sure.
pcstudent wrote:
That is, unless they want to give PC Chips and Jetway a run for their money in that arena.

I've had good results with Jetway mini-ITX boards, I have one running a dual-core Atom with 2GB of memory and have had no problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:51 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I have not done this yet, but am considering doing so. However, according to other reviewers of this product, this board still has numerous issues, despite two firmware updates that have been made available by XFX. As an alternative, I am considering switching to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131324

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:17 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

I would say flash the most recent BIOS before you try anything else.
but yeah, I love ASUS boards, never had one that wasn't great.
of course, when you have 2/3 of the market share, you're expected to be perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:13 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Interesting. While researching the Asus mobo that I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, I came across a "Recommended Power Supply Wattage Calculator" on the Asus support site. It turns out that, given the hardware configuration of my sister's system, Asus recommends a minimum power supply wattage of 550W. So when I replaced her XFX mobo with the new Asus mobo today, I also removed the Antec 450W PSU (which came with the case) and replaced it with a PC Power & Cooling 610W Silencer PSU, and booted the system with her main SATA hard drive as the only drive in the system, and (amazingly) it let me log in to Windows XP and greeted me with the "Found New Hardware" window. I proceeded to install the missing drivers for the mobo's onboard devices (ethernet, SMBus, etc.), and the Creative Soundblaster X-Fi ExtremeGamer PCI card and I was not required to reactivate Windows whatsoever. This leads me to believe that the new Asus mobo and the previous XFX mobo were similar enough to one another to also require the same minimum PSU wattage. Could it be that an underpowered PSU could have cause the XFX mobo to have failed as it did?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:21 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

its possible. underpowered PSUs can cause a variety of problems, many of which simulate other hardware errors.

try loading it down with prime95, furmark, HDtach and burn a CD at the same time. that will give more or less max power draw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:23 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Update: Rather than run a BIOS update, I went ahead and RMA'ed the mobo to XFX (it was delivered to their dock in Ontario, California yesterday at 1:20 p.m.). XFX sent an email this morning stating that they had received the motherboard, then sent another email this afternoon (between 2:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.) informing me that the motherboard was indeed faulty. Have to give them props in their RMA communication!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:18 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Would this be more of an 8200 GeForce issue than XFX? Will an eVGA 8200 GeForce work better? Doubt it.

nVidia is to blame for sucking. Companies just do the best with what they have to work with. Let's just blame the right culprit here; the root of the problem.

I didn't see you in the clinic or any other section, and are just stating XFX is bad without really nailing down the problem first. XFX is good...great even (insert SnaggleTooth).
pcstudent wrote:
...given the hardware configuration of my sister's system, Asus recommends a minimum power supply wattage of 550W. So when I replaced her XFX mobo with the new Asus mobo today, I also removed the Antec 450W PSU (which came with the case) and replaced it with a PC Power & Cooling 610W Silencer PSU
So is XFX still sucking? The powersupply probably was the only change you needed logically. And from my own viewpoint, the Earthwatts PSU was all you needed to change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:46 pm 

omg lol that sucks really bad. the same thing happened to me with my 750a SLi http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/moth ... /750a.aspx i thought i would have got it up and running in 4 hours max but it took me like 4 days lol. i seriously think i got around 1000 blue screens trying to install xp pro on the stupid thing. i still have it though and im kinda glad i kept it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:48 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Ok, I'm on the wagon now! I've spent 2-days trying to get an XFX board halfway coherent, and it's just one pain after another.

I decided to give them a shot with an MBX58ICH19 (horrible name), and it just won't work right. Tried all BIOS, tried several brands of memory, and it works for about 20 minutes max. Pull it all out, put all the same parts back on the Asus P6T V1, and it all works like a charm.

I just don't get it. The thing is bunk from day one, through all steps of troubleshooting I can think of. Support was a minor issue. They walked with me and tried things, but an RMA was inevitable. I took it up with Newegg instead, and went back to Asus based on this thread heavily. They tried, always have, but they need to stick with making Graphics Cards vise motherboards.

Sorry I doubted ya, but they do have issues in their motherboards it seems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:26 am 

ya from now on im gonna stick with asus. i really like the rog motherboards and especially the croshair and croshair 2. i dont like the new crosshair 3 because it only has one pci slot, what gives? Image The board will support AM3 socket processors and comes with four DDR3 1600MHz slots, two PCIe x16 slots, one eSATA and five SATA 3.0Gbps ports amongst other specifications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:50 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

It does seem that XFX has a lot of issues with the on board graphics and as for the 680 i chipset that it was a pain to. I however have been running the XFX 680i lt board for 18 months now with no problems at all. As a matter of fact it has been the best board I have used to date. That seems to be the one board that hasn't given them a lot of headaches. However When in the future I go i7 I will def be looking at either Asus or Gigabyte for a board. KOMMANDER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:14 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I wonder if XFX even made this board. I wonder because a few years ago I had an EVGA board that was manfactured by Jetway, and it kicked ass!

I also built a system with an XFX 680i LT, and it was also pretty damn sweet.