Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Abit Settlement info in Feb issue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:57 pm 

I have been unable to visit the www.abitsettlement.com website quoted in the "Busting Caps" article within the Watch Dog section of the Feb issue.

Upon closer examination via dnsreports.com (http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=abitsettlement.com) it appears they are having some DNS problems. I've sent email to the Administrative contact listed for this domain via Network Associate's website and am waiting for a response.

Does anyone else know of any other resources that are available to Abit mobo owners who wish to have their mobos repaired/replaced as a result of this settlement?

Last edited by Thudder on Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:21 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

What was the settlement? I didn't buy that issue at the store.

Post subject: Thanks for the update
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:22 am 

Of course Abit's websites make no mention of it either. I have a KG7-R that had the same crappy capacitors mentioned in the article, but I don't think it's covered in the settlement. The stupid thing stopped posting and I sent it back to get fixed. The one they returned to me had brown goo leaking out of the capacitors! It never posted either. This was as common for the KG7 as it was for the KT7 and the other mobos the article says are covered. I would like to log in and determine for sure if the KG7 is covered as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:55 am 

I have a KT7a, I think it was a version 1.2 (The one just before AthlonXP support, which might I add Abit lied to us about, claiming the board would support future CPUs when it didn't support a single one after the Athlon TBird).

Board is at this point years old, but ever since I got it the PC has suffered from mysterious spontaneous reboots, despite the fact that all the other hardware in the PC has been changed at least once.

I don't know if the capacitors are the defective models (Especially because the settlement site is down), and they certainly aren't leaking brown goo, but it would seem that the years of spontaneous reboots (Typing in MS Word, hey, look, a POST screen) would be symptoms?

Anyhow, I'll just have to wait for the site to come back up again. And hope the settlement covers Canada. Wouldn't that be ironic, if they wouldn't replace a defective product because of where it was sold.

Post subject: The site is "up"
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:19 pm 

Well the site appears, technically at least, to be up. It's nothing but an "under construction" page. I wonder what their time frame is on this. The court must have mandated something. Man, they are probably getting slammed with hits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:27 am 

Would a leaking capacitor have any specific effect, or is this the type of thing that could result in a gamut of behaviors?

I have a KT7-RAID system that's been decreasingly stable in the past few months with system-intensive tasks--it just hardlocks. I first had problems with full-screen flash playback. DVD playback gradually became unreliable as well. Now, gaming is hit-or-miss, and a LAME encode freezes the system in seconds. Will be rebuilding soon, but it would give some peace of mind about the rest of the hardware if I could pin this on the mobo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:47 am 

I'm no electrician, but it is my understanding that capacitors smooth the current in a system to counteract the peaks and valleys that occur when various components activate and deactivate. If a capacitor starts to go, i think it can still operate fine within a narrow spec, but if the load suddenly increases, it may fail. The result would cause instability in the system which leads to crashes, lockups or shutdowns.

I'm certainly not the most informed on the matter, so if anyone has better info please chime in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:56 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

In the most basic way to explain what a cap is:

it is more of a super fast charging, mass-discharge battery for use when "normal" current drops below a certin point.

EDIT:
w0ot Howstuffworks.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:37 pm 

Keep in mind that even power-filtering UPS won't do squat to clean your power.

I bought an APC Back-UPS 1500va model because it promised to do boost and buck filtering. Turns out that power has to drop by like 30 volts before it kicks in. Get this, the tolerance for going to battery power (How low voltage can drop before a switch to battery) can be set CLOSER to 120v than the filtering!!! I discovered this after realizing that the lightbulb running through my UPS dimmed when a vacuum was turned on elsewhere in the house (10v drop in power).

Anyhow, I don't see brown goo leaking out of the capacitors, but for all the spontaneous reboots I had with my KT7a it must be the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:38 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Abit was the last to get hit by this, and were the first to fix it. MSI was slammed really hard, and has yet to start using decent caps that I know of. Abit's been using the good Japanese caps for over a year now even prior to them getting bit.

I have a Gigabyte board purchased about 2 years ago and I just noticed a bulging cap last week while doing routine clean-up. It's right by the CPU, so I just hope it hangs on long enough t

(haha...I make a funny)

Post subject: kt7 raid
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:13 am 

this thing is crap. glad to read about the settlement. ill be submitting a claim form. it's an evil mobo.