Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WTF EPC?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:25 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

If anyone lives near EPC (I believe there's only two stores nationwide, their main business isn't retail but electronics recycling) they're usually nice for getting super cheap prices on used parts, but this time they screwed it up. Was running my brother's P4 rig with 2x 256MB of DDR266, and it ran fine, but it often would get stuck using swap when he had a bunch of stuff open, so I went to EPC to pick up a pair of used 512MB sticks. They were very cheap for DDR, got two of them for $35. So I bring them back home, install them, and the crashes begin. ugh, I say, one of them's faulty. So I pull one out and run memtest, sure enough, errors. So I keep the other one in and put one of the old sticks back in to run 768MB of RAM. Still crashed. Run memtest on the other stick, and THAT one gives errors too! WTF?!?! If you're going to not give a warranty on used RAM, you should probably run freaking MEMTEST AT LEAST and make sure they're good before making money off it! seriously, it doesn't take that much... ugh. I guess I'll have to save up and get a 2x 1GB kit off newegg for 70 freaking dollers.
screw you EPC... I'll be staying away from there for a little while.