Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Newegg Reviewers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:23 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Does anybody else wasnt to slpa 65% of these people? You know, the ones that knock off eggs because of UPS apparent habit of playing baseball with anything fragile, or just a plain old DOA.
The good ol' 1 egg review:
Pros:looks nice
Cons:DOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Other Thoughts: Don't ever buy this piece of crap mine came DOA.

Hey retard, a DOA does not reflect on the product at all. Another thing that makes me mad is people that plan old don't know what they are talking about. This one review on some SSD said it had slow write speeds because it took forever to copy 30GB files to it from his external USB hard drive. Frigging people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:19 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

My favorite review is one person who copied a file from their cd drive to a new Hitachi 1 TB drive and called it crap because it went slow. That is on tiger direct though.. Also people who whine about "being ripped off" becuase the drives are smaller after a format, if you don't know about formatted capacity why are you even buying an internal hard drive? Do you read anything? They put warnings all over about that..

The DOA ones annoy me too "I GOT A BAD ONE SO THIS WHOLE WEBSITE AND COMPANY IS BAD, ALSO I TYPE IN CAPS"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:47 am 
Super Mario Banhammer
Super Mario Banhammer

The one I like is the all caps 1egger because UPS bashed it around guy. Then you look to the left at his bonafides and dont see purchased at newegg and do see TechLevel: High :evil: makes me want to strangle 'em with my bare hands. The worst tho are the paid reviewers. You can spot em a mile away. They post advert material as part of their reviews of the product or they will post something like: OMG t4is HDD ROXXORSS!!! its so 733t it pwns noobs quick!!!!11!!!one. Then turn right around and grab a sample item from the competition and flame it as hard as they can often not even bothering to change the account name they are reviewing under. Its why when I want reviews on hardware I come here.
to MPC and its forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:23 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

I love to laugh at NewEgg reviews. Most of them are just there for the comic relief and not really intended to be helpful. If everyone that set their TechLevel=High was actually in an IT job, the IT industry would have a lot more competition than it does now.

Not that Amazon or Tiger Direct reviews are any better. At Amazon you get the "OMG, the picture showed a black unit and mine is red! WTF!?!?"; not that the description didn't clearly state the color or anything, or "After I washed my USB stick 14 times it stopped working, what a POS!"

One in 10 might be helpful on average. If you are lucky.

Rules to live by:
Shipping != sellers fault
DOA != sellers fault
Your dumb ass orders the wrong color != sellers fault

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:02 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

yep. I saw two very funny ones. One was on the Xigmatek Dark Knight. Well, you know how instead of being lap-able, the Xiggys have direct heat-pipe contact? well, one idiot actually tried to lap it, and then wrote a bad review when he sanded through the heatpipes. LOL
I've also seen tons of 4890 reviews of people saying their old 8800s gave them better framerates. wtf?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:49 am 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

lol

my thoughts on newegg reviews are well known

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:30 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Spartacus wrote:
yep. I saw two very funny ones. One was on the Xigmatek Dark Knight. Well, you know how instead of being lap-able, the Xiggys have direct heat-pipe contact? well, one idiot actually tried to lap it, and then wrote a bad review when he sanded through the heatpipes. LOL
I've also seen tons of 4890 reviews of people saying their old 8800s gave them better framerates. wtf?

I read the one about that Xiggy. That guy needs his skull "lapped".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:42 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I love the one on newegg where this guy said that YOU HAVE TO HAVE at least 1200watt psu to run a gtx295 :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:24 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Maybe if you're running three of them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:31 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

I just found the BEST ONE EVAR!
check it:
JohnDanger wrote:
**** Patience Pays
Pros: Works

Cons: None

Other Thoughts: it should be free to get 5 eggs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:32 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

My reviews always get flagged as violating their review rules and I have no idea why. Too helpful? Maybe I should just write, LULZ IT ROCKS BUY 40 OF THEM!!

My favorites are the ones where the the reviewer blames the product or newegg for something that's obviously their fault. NEW PCI-E VIDEO CARD WON'T FIT IN MY 10 YEAR OLD COMPUTER ZOMG 0 EGGS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:06 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

Defiant wrote:
Also people who whine about "being ripped off" becuase the drives are smaller after a format, if you don't know about formatted capacity why are you even buying an internal hard drive? Do you read anything? They put warnings all over about that..

Perhaps because it has nothing to do with formating the drive and everything to do with the highly deceptive way they are labled...

Decimal vs binary and all that, drive makers should have the addressable volume front and center.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:51 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

drainbread wrote:
Defiant wrote:
Also people who whine about "being ripped off" becuase the drives are smaller after a format, if you don't know about formatted capacity why are you even buying an internal hard drive? Do you read anything? They put warnings all over about that..

Perhaps because it has nothing to do with formating the drive and everything to do with the highly deceptive way they are labled...

Decimal vs binary and all that, drive makers should have the addressable volume front and center.

It is common knowledge though, and there are warnings about this. I'm not going to debate the morality of of what math to use on hard drives. But the fact users give good drives bad reviews based on a lack of research on their part every time is not right. Plus many reviews on newegg usually tell the "formatted capacity".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:34 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i would always read the bad reviews first, then read the good ones, and then do i think about making a committed purchase if i really want to. then i compare it to other website reviews other than newegg to ensure some kind of general consensus.

i try to give fair and honest reviews, myself. i usually review stuff i get after a week to make sure i can form an opinion on it. newegg reviewer: ILuvBingo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:15 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

Defiant wrote:
drainbread wrote:
Defiant wrote:

It is common knowledge though, and there are warnings about this. I'm not going to debate the morality of of what math to use on hard drives. But the fact users give good drives bad reviews based on a lack of research on their part every time is not right. Plus many reviews on newegg usually tell the "formatted capacity".

I disagree in part, many reviewers are dipshits but marketing ploys are fair game whilst making a review. Not only are the drive sizes deceptive but the same could be said about the "size after format" warning, it's nothing but marketing bullshit.

Seagate/western digital/maxtor/samsung could put out a SuperduperultraxtraOMFGlookathowfastitis 3000 and I would refuse to give it a top grade just because of the bullshit.

Post subject: DOA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:26 pm 

While I do agree that DOA products are not the stores fault and often times don't reflect the quality of the product, I often check the 1 and 2 egg reviews first just for mentions of things like this. While one person freaking out about a DOA PSU is nothing to worry about, if 1 out of 10 people who review the product claim theirs was DOA then this sends up a red flag for me. It could mean a bad product, a bad production run, or more commonly bad packaging in conjunction with the UPS "Drop kick it to your door" delivery system. If I see numerous DOA claims do I not buy the product? Not necessarily. But I am more likely to go to a brick and mortar to purchase it. The $10-$40 I save buying it at newegg will quickly be washed away if I have to RMA it once or twice.

Post subject: Re: DOA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:31 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

mesiah wrote:
While I do agree that DOA products are not the stores fault and often times don't reflect the quality of the product, I often check the 1 and 2 egg reviews first just for mentions of things like this. While one person freaking out about a DOA PSU is nothing to worry about, if 1 out of 10 people who review the product claim theirs was DOA then this sends up a red flag for me. It could mean a bad product, a bad production run, or more commonly bad packaging in conjunction with the UPS "Drop kick it to your door" delivery system. If I see numerous DOA claims do I not buy the product? Not necessarily. But I am more likely to go to a brick and mortar to purchase it. The $10-$40 I save buying it at newegg will quickly be washed away if I have to RMA it once or twice.

That's a very good point. Unfortunately for me, the only B&M store around here that sells components is Staples. The most powerful video card they have in stock is an 8800GT. Most powerful PSU? 550W Antec. Awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:36 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

When I review on newegg, I knock off a point for being DOA. If the next one is DOA, then I assume its the product, and give it one star.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:21 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Alright, heres the best review: One guy claimed that his Xigmatek Black Knight didnt work very well after he cut off half of it so it could fit in his case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:28 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Nice demotivational. There's a double face palm out there somewhere. And really? WTF?

The other day I saw a review for a motherboard that claimed it was a motherboard problem that wouldn't allow 32 bit XP to access all 8GB of his memory. The manufacturer's response adequately explained his own stupidity to him, and he posted another review. Something along the lines of no other motherboard has this problem blah blah blah its a piece of crap. [/quote]