Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why does wireless hate me?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:45 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

so my dad has an HP Pavilion a1025c. it comes with a wireless mouse and keyboard. well, the mouse freakin' SUCKED. too heavy and bulky, the batteries lasted like a week, and it would constantly stop working for a few seconds, even with new batteries. My dad was sick of it, and it broke after a year anyways. lol.
so anyways, we got a cheapy $20 wireless microsoft mouse, and he didn't like that one either. it's scroll wheel kinda sucked, and it was noticeably less accurate than his old one. at least the batteries lasted a full month though. but anyways, after just a year, THAT one broke too. wtf? are mice nowadays that flaky? I've had the same mouse on my own machines for like the past 10 years, I mean, I think it may have been THE original optical mouse. :lol:
anyways, the story continues. my dad says, screw wireless. so we go to best buy and pick up this super-cheap $15 Dynex Wired USB optical mouse. all I have to say is, WOW! it works awesome! much easier to click on small things (he's a graphic artist, so accuracy really matters) very nice scroll wheel, and even has two extra buttons. really a steal for $15. finally, a happy dad with a working peripheral.
so after that, his wireless HP keyboard stops taking more than two keys at a time. really hampers his photoshop shortcutting. so once again, we run to best buy... and see the cheapest keyboard is a $20 Dynex! bought it, works great, its quiet, has plug and play hotkeys even!
moral of the story: What's with these wireless peripherals that suck, and I think I may have found a gem in Dynex. I've had the mouse, keyboard, and two wireless adapters from them. all four were the cheapest I could find, and all four have worked wonderfully. If you ever are looking for bargain peripherals, don't count out Dynex. :wink:
anyways, big long rant over. Felt nice to get that out of my system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:39 am 

Their wired keyboards/mice may work well, but stay away from their wireless products or you will more than likely experience the same problems.

I bought a Dynex wireless keyboard and mouse combo at Walmart and I fought with it for a week before I calibrated it with a 5lb sledge.

I now have a MS wireless keyboard and mouse. The rechargable batteries last about 2.5 - 3 months before I need to change them (it gest used several hours a day) and I have no connectivity issues at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:53 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Go Bluetooth, MUCH better.

The only issue I run into is trying to use it during boot to choose Safe mode or something. For that I have to plug back in my USB keyboard....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:32 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

ha that would be tough, since Windows doesn't have built-in bluetooth drivers. Another thing Windows 7 should definitely have. I'll give that a try if any more keyboards or mice break.