Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Quetek File Scavenger false advertising
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:47 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Well I needed some data recovery on a corrupt hard drive. So I found Quetek and their File Scavenger program. They had two down load options
1. installation to a hard drive
and
2. Installation to a portable device

So I was thinking that having a data recovery program on my USB drive would be very handy in the field.

Well come to find out, their installation to a portable device is STILL computer dependent. I don't see the logic of installing a data recovery program on a portable device if it is still computer dependent.

Damned assholes should not offer two installs if they are the same thing. A computer dependent data recovery program... yeah that makes a lot of sense. :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:31 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Its not like Licensing is a new thing :? You should be ashamed of yourself. You just have to read. Does this look familiar?

http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm#license

The company is great when it comes to transferring licenses too. Shame on you :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:15 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

There you ugo again Gigabyte. Assuming someone actually CAN read. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:55 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Keep it nice. Pop doesn't deserve the abuse and I won't allow it to continue.

You can explain things without being assholes. I know because I do it from time to time (gotta practice).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:08 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Jipstyle wrote:
Keep it nice. Pop doesn't deserve the abuse and I won't allow it to continue.

You can explain things without being assholes. I know because I do it from time to time (gotta practice).
No flaming or abuse was intended on my part. Although it was hard to phrase in a nice way. Trying to discredit a legitimate business/product is serious business. Especially when I know, from personal experience, how great it really is.

/runs and hides from mod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:10 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Yeah, I was thinking the license would be USB dependent as soon as I installed it. I had no idea it would be dependent on the PC it was plugged into when I installed it.
I wanted a portable data recovering software is all. :oops: I just wanted it to run off the USB drive and only the USB drive. I didn't want multiple licenses or to install it on many PC. Just thought it would be much easier then stripping the hard drives and putting them in the dependent PC.

Oh well, I've calmed down since then anyways. So it's all good. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:21 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

dedgar wrote:
There you ugo again Gigabyte. Assuming someone actually CAN read. :roll:

My bad. Sorry. :oops:
I'll try to be good. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:33 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

ya know..licensing besides things, there's a valid point in this.

This just seems to be a case of activation gone bad. So $49 for a PC, doesn't seem like a bad price, but how many times would one actually utilize the utility on the one machine? If you're truly using it that many problems with data maybe a new HD is in order. This may make sense for simple file undeletion, but I guess I come from the school that there's better utilities for that, then this (probably much cheaper too)

Maybe it's me, but the way that's setup, just sounds like an underhanded version of cripple-ware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:29 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Its not bad. You're suppose to slave the HD in question or put it in a USB enclosure. USB storage needs a PC so no problems there. Writing new data to the drive in question should be avoided at all cost. That's a golden rule, regardless of what software you're using to recover the data. They're doing novice users a favor IMO. See Best recovery procedure for a system drive for more info.

I purchased it in April of 06. I don't use it very often. Maybe once or twice a year, or less. Never on the same PC/OS twice. Transferring the license was simple. If I remember correctly, it was done instantly online the first two times, 3rd time required a phone call or email. They understand that I move frequently and reformat my PC. Just like M$ understands why I have registered my copy of XP 2 dozen times. M$ also sells different versions of the same OS and office software too $$$ Almost everyone follows the same practice.

Licensing is not a new concept. Selling the same product with different levels of functionality and features isn't either. I'm not one to accuse people of false advertising or selling a crippled product, just because they want to get paid accordingly. If you want to use it on a USB drive & multiple computers (Professional Use) you have to pay extra and I respect that. Its their product, service, and prices. If you don't like, don't buy it. It might not be the perfect for everyone, but nobody should pay and then get pissed and discredit the company, because they failed to read the rules before or thought they could circumvent the policy.