Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Nuance Software Installation Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:51 am 

I own several licenses for Nuance product including Omnipage 16 that includes paperport and pdf pro. I also purchased PDF PRO 5 seperately but could not install on my HP dv5-1004nr notebook with vista premium 64 bit OS. I tried loading on my desktop and was able to load to my desktop vista ultimate 64 bit.

On my notebook I keep getting error for paperport 11 and PDF pro 4 and 5 on the notebook. the info from the Nuance website indicates that the problem is connection and sending an imprint of my computer. i can never get this to complete and I get the message "Paperport stopped working" same for omnipage 16, and PDF Pro 5. Also not able to register the imprint manually.

Since I use my notebook 99 percent of the time it is a real problem trying to use the software I bought and paid for. I have been using the ScanSoft products for years and have them registered on thier site, but with this new copy protection I just can't use it the way I need. They are sending emails to upgrade which I usually woud do without another thought but my experience with the current version makes it a non-starter. To make things worse, they charge for tech support. Let me know if they change thier copy protetion so that I can use thier products I have paid for and I will more than likely purchase additional upgrades.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:01 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

So, why do you think this is a copy protection problem? It sounds to me like you have some incompatible hardware. If it were a copy protection problem, you wouldn't be able to register and activate it. Actually, upon further research, the ONLY copy protection this program uses is a serial number with online activation. So it's not a DRM problem.

Do you have .NET 3.0 installed? That's a requirement for it to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:24 pm 

I have Microsoft® .NET Framework Version 3.0.4506.2123 installed. The main reason I thought it was the copy protection is the Nuance Web site said that was what the Error indicated. When I tried to follow the instructions to manually register the computer fingerprint the menu items it referred to were not showing up. Additionally I read where others were having similar problems with no solution. Others with Paid tech support had similar results with no solutions and or help. One other note the paperwork I got today to upgrade specifically stated you must have a network connection to activate. I don't know of any run of the mill software that requires a computer fingerprint to use the software. This was not the case before Nuance purchased the rights. Nero has something similar but not as harsh.

Additionally to ensure no firewalls were blocking, I shut everything down, all firewalls, virus protection anything I could think of that might cause it to be blocked.
You make a good point about it being hardware related since it installed on my desktop, this is where I have no idea what it could be. The notebook is fairly standard hardware and I have not had any problems with any other hardware or software.

Appreciate your comments and or suggestions.