It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Da Geek Squad!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:55 am 
Klamath
Klamath

This is copied from my post at the URL Commport:
I thought it should be posted here too.

I'm writting this after working on a clients computer who had payed $65 for the geek squad to fix her computer.

The customer is a 55ish year old school teacher, she uses her computer mostly for storing and printing pictures of her family. Her computer started taking 5-10 minutes to boot up and she had no idea why. So like any computer illiterate person, she went to Best Buy to have them diagnose the problem. They told her it was $65 just to look at it. Fair enough, she pays.

Twenty minutes later they track her down in Best Buy and tell her that her hard drive is completely dead and nothing is recoverable. The lady almost starts crying because all of her family pictures, and pictures of her 5 year old grand daughter are on this computer. They apoligize and tell her there is nothing they can do, but guess what? They have some AWESOME deals on new tower systems!

They immediately drag her to some of the new computers under $1000, and give her the service plan sales pitch. They also offer as a service to take her old computer and discard of it legally so she doesn't have to pay someone to take it.

The lady chooses not to purchase a new system.

Through a friend of a friend, the system ends up in my office. I'm expecting the worse, a dead drive with unrecoverable data.

First thing I do is open the case. Cob webs everywhere. You can tell that no one has ever open this case in years, if ever.

I then boot up to see if the BIOS detects the drive. It does, this is good because I now can likely recover her data. I let the system boot up into safe mode. No problems, no loud ticks, nothing. Odd...I shut down and install a spare drive as slave, and boot back into safe mode. I then copied all her 'My Documents' which contained everyone of her photos onto the slave drive.

This took about 15 minutes and I had her with a CD with everyone of here 'unrecoverable' files. The lady was speechless. I sent her home, but kept her computer to see what the real problem was.

I ran Adaware with the latest updates and found 160 registry values, and multiple folders and hundreds of files. I removed them all, and rebooted into safe mode again. I ran Adaware a second time and found some of the same items. Time for Spybot..

I then uninstalled Adaware, and installed the latest version of Spybot. I ran a scan as the system started up and it cound another 15 folders/files. I fixed them, and then rebooted in WinXP regular mode.

The computer is fine.

Geek Squad is a POS for taking advantage of this lady. I told her to go into Best Buy and make a huge fuss. She is going to.

Thanks Geek Squad, I know have a new loyal client!
[url][/url][url][/url][url][/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:59 am 
Klamath
Klamath

This is an updated from one week later:

192032.123 in reply to 192032.1

Ok, the lady I did work for went back into Best Buy to ask for a refund for the $$ she put down for them to tell her that her system was dead.

She told them that I got the system running in just few hours and it worked as good as new. She then asked why they told her that her system was fried that she needed a new one.

The Geek Squad manager on duty took the case..

He explained that since her system failed the 'geek squad spindle test' (WTF??) that her system was/is considered dead by their standards.

Then he said they don't give refunds because they did diagnoise(sp?) the computer.

She pointed out that they misdiagnoised it and that she felt they were taking advantage of her. They still didn't want to give her a refund but she was persistant and mentioned that she is retired and sends out a large number of emails to all her friends and family, and would rather tell them how the Geek Squad fixed the situation instead of making it worse.

They paid her in cash.

Seriously though...wtf is a spindle test? Sounds made up to me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:29 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Its Best Buy, would you ever expect any different? How retarded though, I can't beleive they would try and get that past any sort of smart consumer, I guess it goes to show that you should always get a second opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:36 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I don't think this sort of thing is limited to BestBuy. My useless brother-in-law
had an expensive media system for about three months, and I had already straightened out a few problems caused by his daughter poking around in the Windows folder. I'll almost guarantee it was more of the same as the symptoms his wife described were the same as before.

Instead of coming to me again, he took his system to some garage operation. They hit him up for $100 up front as a 'service' fee, then called him next day and said his system was completely fried, utterly unsalvageable and they'd already stripped it and tossed the parts in the garbage.

Larceny is everywhere, and unfortunately the computer tech industry is no exception. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:04 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Quote:
utterly unsalvageable and they'd already stripped it and tossed the parts in the garbage.

They probably sold the parts on Ebay.

I am finding that most customers/clients are scared of doing business with anyone they don't know. Trust is a major factor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:13 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Thirdlife wrote:
Quote:
utterly unsalvageable and they'd already stripped it and tossed the parts in the garbage.

They probably sold the parts on Ebay.

I am finding that most customers/clients are scared of doing business with anyone they don't know. Trust is a major factor.

Which is why they are turning to places like Best Buy. The majority of people hear "spindle test" and they immediately think OMG! That sounds techish! They must be right!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:31 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Spider Monkey wrote:
Which is why they are turning to places like Best Buy. The majority of people hear "spindle test" and they immediately think OMG! That sounds techish! They must be right!

Oh I know it. I did a spindle test on a customers computer. turns out he spilled coffee on his hard drive spindle. If I hadn't run that test, the spindle eventually would be corrupted by the caffiene. He would have lost everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:34 am 

spindle
(biology) tiny fibers that are seen in cell division; the fibers radiate from two poles and meet at the equator in the middle; "chromosomes are distributed by spindles in mitosis and meiosis"

Oh!!!!!!!! Now I See what they did!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:59 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Quote:
can't beleive they would try and get that past any sort of smart consumer

Trouble is your average Best Buy consumer is not a smart consumer especially on computer products and no one who know ANYTHING about computers would take one to Best Buy to fix.

It infuriates me that they would do that to anyone caveat emptor (buyer beware) ps yeah I know it's probly not spelled right so sue me you get the point

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:15 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

One of the bigger problems is they don't trust the reputable mom & pop shops who are running an honest business. I know my aunt wouldn't buy a PC from a great store in town because she didn't like the looks of it, even though the guys who work there I know and are some of the most knowledgeable and trustworthy people I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:37 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Thats because reputable mom and pop shops can' t afford commecticals and advertising.

Geek squad....lol what a joke, every time I walk by that ridiculous sign it puts a smile on my face; to know that someone up the corperate ladder thought to his or herself that hey," if we make a poster with 2 guys staring of into the distance and one of those new beetles in backround we'll make millions."

not only that, but I saw a display with their brand of jumpdrives for almost twice the price...wtf? they were like 128 and 256 of compact flash drives @ 60.00 and 75.00 $

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:54 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Their website is lame too. http://www.geeksquad.com/main.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:46 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

omfg, lol!

Reminds me of the time a friend of mine took her car to a mechanic. He told her she needed new muffler bearings. :roll:

I've never heard anything sensible come out of a bestbuy employees mouth concerning tech. I guess I can add their geeksquad to the list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:34 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

The word to use when dealing with these people is 'fraud' ... it is incredible how quickly money and apologies come flying at you when you use that word.

I was in a Future Shop the other day and overheard a customer inquiring about iPods. This particular location was out of stock, so the sales person tried to sell them another product. The customer insisted they wanted an iPod, and the sales person started telling them that iPods were notoriously incompatible with PCs.

I walked over and insisted on having a conversation with him, his floor manager, and this customer about the obvious lies he was spinning to try to sell this customer something he didn't want.

God I love being an asshole at times like this. The sales guy was sweating, and the floor manager ended up offering the customer an iPod at a discount .. shipped to his home within 3 days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:15 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Minky wrote:
Thats because reputable mom and pop shops can' t afford commecticals and advertising.

Geek squad....lol what a joke, every time I walk by that ridiculous sign it puts a smile on my face; to know that someone up the corperate ladder thought to his or herself that hey," if we make a poster with 2 guys staring of into the distance and one of those new beetles in backround we'll make millions."

The Geek Squad starting here in MN about 10 years ago and had a very decent reputation until they sold themselves to Best Buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:53 am 
Team Member
Team Member

those people are making bare minimum wage i am sure.

what a waste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:22 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

you mean geeksquad? last I hear it was somewhere like 15 an hour to start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:09 am 

Jipstyle wrote:
The word to use when dealing with these people is 'fraud' ... it is incredible how quickly money and apologies come flying at you when you use that word.

I was in a Future Shop the other day and overheard a customer inquiring about iPods. This particular location was out of stock, so the sales person tried to sell them another product. The customer insisted they wanted an iPod, and the sales person started telling them that iPods were notoriously incompatible with PCs.

I walked over and insisted on having a conversation with him, his floor manager, and this customer about the obvious lies he was spinning to try to sell this customer something he didn't want.

God I love being an asshole at times like this. The sales guy was sweating, and the floor manager ended up offering the customer an iPod at a discount .. shipped to his home within 3 days.

Is it any surprise that Future Shop is owned by Best Buy? :p

At least Future Shop is in general more or less honest, at least in my dealings with them (They've honoured manufacturers warranties on the odd part for me when they didn't have to). But bad news, it seems Best Buy isn't convinced that a Future Shop on every corner in Montreal is good enough. Best Buy has decided to start opening up Best Buys in Montreal, to compete with Future Shop, their own store. They're starting with 9 of them.

So now we'll have Future Shops, and accross the street, Best Buy, owned by the same company :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:31 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

for this, you can flame me: I just applied to be a geek

seriously

I'm making 7 an hour working at a newspaper doing something I like (with no dress code) but after just rebuilding my system and buying books for the semester and car payments 10 to 15 being a corporate lackey doesn't sound so bad...

though I really do think that everyone should go look at the lingo they use on their site

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:45 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

:shock: BLARG! :shock: