Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bankrupt Warranty Company
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:56 pm 

Bought a laptop from Gateway 3 years ago, warranty is still good for another 2 years.

Called in today trying to get work done on it, they tell me my warranty was sold to MPC. Fine, except that MPC went BANKRUPT over 6 months ago. I keep calling gateway, but can't get anyone who actually speaks fluent english. After the fourth time I was told to contact MPC, and the fourth time I told them that company no longer exists, the phone numbers are disconnected, and the website no longer works, I got fed up and came here.

The worst part was that every time I told someone that MPC went out of business, they didn't even acknowledge that I had said anything. They just kept reading their script.

I'm annoyed enough at this point that if the laptop wasn't already buggered, I'd probably break it out of frustration.

Any ideas? Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:25 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Gateway must address this. They can't sell warranties if they're still in business with a "must" on coverage if the other company goes under. Warranties are sold when the parent company goes down. If sold when both are alive, then the daughter company goes down...the parent company assumes it again.

It's a Gateway product. File a small claims suit. If you think others have interest in this, talk with a lawyer for a class action. You'll get less payback, but help others in the same mess.

Look at Chrysler currently for how warranties are handled. They're still upheld; alive, sinking, or dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:55 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

MPC didn't just buy the warranty service contracts, they bought the entire business segment(servers and business class desktop/notebooks) of Gateway and the rest went to Acer.

Gateway doesn't have any liability in this issue but it's going to devalue the brand name further.