Sharptooth

And how would you suggest they verify that you are in fact military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:32 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

chiller2 wrote:

Fax a copy of your ID card within 24hrs of the purchase along with the order# TO EASY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:41 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

And I can verify that the ID card belongs to you how? Look giving a Discount to service members is a compensation they deserve but when it comes to buying online it can be abused.In a brick and Mortor store you show your ID they see it is you give you the discount. Online that is not possible it anyone could be using your ID card not just you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:46 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

chiller2 wrote:
And I can verify that the ID card belongs to you how? Look giving a Discount to service members is a compensation they deserve but when it comes to buying online it can be abused.In a brick and Mortor store you show your ID they see it is you give you the discount. Online that is not possible it anyone could be using your ID card not just you.

humm not a good example........

If my name is John Doe then my ID card says John Doe, with SSN, and my military email is John.Doe@us.army.mil. Also all purchases must include your military for confirmation,which is the only way to get a .mil email address is to be in the military and its no longer active after you get out. I guess it comes down to if the big retail stores are really behind their troops or not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:06 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

or if the big retail stores are even owned by people in the US? i open an online store living in beautiful new york and some person in the italian army wants a discount.....dont think so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:31 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

gramaton cleric wrote:
or if the big retail stores are even owned by people in the US? i open an online store living in beautiful new york and some person in the italian army wants a discount.....dont think so.

Well u figure that the US is the supposed to be the most patriotic out of all other countries, u would think that american owned retail stores would give some sort of a discount for US troops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:09 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

RickRock wrote:
Well u figure that the US is the supposed to be the most patriotic out of all other countries, u would think that american owned retail stores would give some sort of a discount for US troops.

What makes you think that the US is the most patriotic of all countries?

Wow. The conceit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:46 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

RickRock wrote:
chiller2 wrote:

Fax a copy of your ID card within 24hrs of the purchase along with the order# TO EASY!

Photocopying or otherwise duplicating military ID cards is strictly prohibited by all U.S. armed forces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:54 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

garetjax wrote:
RickRock wrote:
chiller2 wrote:

Photocopying or otherwise duplicating military ID cards is strictly prohibited by all U.S. armed forces.

Not true.......

when u deploy u fax your orders and a copy of your id card for the Soldiers Sailor Relief Act to your ceditors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:26 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

RickRock wrote:
garetjax wrote:
RickRock wrote:
chiller2 wrote:

Not true.......

when u deploy u fax your orders and a copy of your id card for the Soldiers Sailor Relief Act to your ceditors.

I've deployed enough times to know that the Soliders and Sailors Civil Relief Act of 1940 does NOT require you to photocopy your military ID card. Your orders and a current drivers license is all that you need. Again, photocopying your military ID is against regulations, regardless if it is for something as innocent as invoking the SSCRA to creditors or not.

You aren't supposed to do it. It is against regulations and further, it borderlines on an INFOSEC breach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:04 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

chiller2 wrote:
An obvious one would be an FPO-AP address. Pretty big clue there. Otherwise, a copy of your orders from about any deployment can be copied. Never deployed? LOL...why expect a discount then ;)

And copying your ID is illegal according to the UCMJ. If your command does this as a routine, then they should really re-think their process.

Anyway, I had to send proof of deployment several times in active service and orders were all you needed. The act backs this, and if the creditor doesn't accept it, then send an 0-1 Jag out and even he can fix this. As a reservist, you can use your enlistment papers. Just don't copy your ID...you are giving a chance that they'll handle these loosely and possibly gain access to a base. Gate guards aren't always diligent...as even an E3, I drove on with a Chief's sticker and had choice parking for my entire enlistment:p

http://www.excaliberpc.com/troops.php
Excaliber, Monarch, Dell, and many others offer a Military discount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:46 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Yea I know that OEM give discounts, but who buys from thoses these days :o ?I was maniky talk about us compaines like Newegg, Zipzoomfly and others. Even compaines like Verizon and Nextel and Sprint doesnt offer military but AT&T does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:32 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

RickRock wrote:
Yea I know that OEM give discounts, but who buys from thoses these days :o ?I was maniky talk about us compaines like Newegg, Zipzoomfly and others.

Those are exactly the types of companies eXcaliberPC and Monarch are. I agree that ZipZoom and Newegg should follow suit, but at least there are options out there. Heck, when it comes to my favorite RAM (OCZ Plats R2), eXcaliberPC has the best price around. Add a 2% military discount, and you're all set. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:51 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

One4yu2c wrote:
RickRock wrote:
Yea I know that OEM give discounts, but who buys from thoses these days :o ?I was maniky talk about us compaines like Newegg, Zipzoomfly and others.

Those are exactly the types of companies eXcaliberPC and Monarch are. I agree that ZipZoom and Newegg should follow suit, but at least there are options out there. Heck, when it comes to my favorite RAM (OCZ Plats R2), eXcaliberPC has the best price around. Add a 2% military discount, and you're all set. :)

If only i knew that 3 days ago, oh well i'll be happy with me Cosair XMS XL! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:01 am 

Why should you get a discount because of your profession? Maybe I should get a discount because I'm a programmer? Or my buddy should get a discount because he works at a film company? It doesn't make any sense. If you join the military, fine, that's your chosen profession, but I don't see why that suddenly entitles you to discounts on stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:37 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Guspaz wrote:
Why should you get a discount because of your profession? Maybe I should get a discount because I'm a programmer? Or my buddy should get a discount because he works at a film company? It doesn't make any sense. If you join the military, fine, that's your chosen profession, but I don't see why that suddenly entitles you to discounts on stuff.

Perhaps because some people in this country appreciate the fact that while they live in relative security and comfort, there are some people out there who ensure those people can continue to enjoy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:26 am 

Seems to me that military needs to get with the program and fire up an online BX so our boys n girls don't have to go begging...

Rock On all you grunts, jarheads, squids & wing-wipers... Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:34 pm 

garetjax wrote:
Guspaz wrote:

Perhaps because some people in this country appreciate the fact that while they live in relative security and comfort, there are some people out there who ensure those people can continue to enjoy it.

Like invading other countries for no reason? The "defending freedom" bit only goes so far.

If it's a big issue, the army should start up some sort of program to get their soldiers discounts. The army must buy a lot of computer equipment and get good deals on them for bulk purchases. Making some of those available to soldiers would be a good way to get discounts without ripping off stores by forcing them to give discounts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:42 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Guspaz wrote:
They have citizenship in Canada, right? Or are all Canadians just given that because they came out of a human womb?

We like to give awards for honor and commentment to a nation. Military servive is just one step toward being a citizen, and...

...you're just an ass for trolling, and I'm an ass for going for the bate. You are ignorant on which you speak of, so just do us all a favor and stfu. Take it to the lounge.