Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sabrent 68 in 1 Internal USB 2.0 card reader/Writer CRW-UINB
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:37 pm 

I bought this card reader to install in my 2nd gen Dell XPS. It does not have an available header on the motherboard so I ordered a pair of USB cards and adapters to plug into the female header on the drive. The problem is (And this would be a problem no matter what you were plugging it into) the wire colors are not standard on the Sabrent drive. The 4 hole side is black, white, orange blue. The five hole side is brown, yellow, orange, green.
So directly across from each other are brown and black, yellow and white, orange and orange green and blue. (Going left to right towards the un-used pin side)
If the black and brown are ground and it is an Asus type layout then it is mirror imaged because the ground should be next to the unused pin. However, if black and brown is ground then yellow and white are D+, orange is D- which makes blue and green Vbus (+5v).
If it is a mirror image like a gigabyte or is not any kind of standard at all I lose my motherboard, reader and USB cards in the fire. I have sent multiple E-Mails to sabrent begging for a clue or wire chart of any kind. They have not responded in any way at all. I can post images if needed.
Can you help? :?: :?: :?:

Last edited by Tom Elam on Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:10 am 

Pictures are worth thousands of words:

First is the Sabrent USB plug, directly across from each other are brown and black, yellow and white, orange and orange then green and blue:

Here is the Sabrent pinout and Wire Colors:

My Standard adapter (I have two)

Standard Motherboard layout (Asus):

As you can see the Sabrent pinout looks all wrong, and the colors are not standard at all.
This is the Mirror type Found on some motherboards:

Standard Plug and Standard Colors (Nice and Clear):

Last edited by Tom Elam on Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:41 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Is your motherboard an ASUS motherboard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:03 pm 

I am going to hook it up to a pair of USB cards internal ports using the adapter pictured (One adapter will plug into each side). The PC in question has a Dell XPS MOBO, I also have a PC (the one I am currently using) that is Gigabyte, and my wife’s is Asus. The problem I have here is that this device appears to not fit ANY kind of standard at all as far as I can tell. Without knowing what the color Code\Pin-out is I will likely fry my MOBO, power supply, USB card and reader. If this thing is just simply plugged into a Gigabyte MOBO Check my images to see what would happen if it is for Asus. If it is for Gigabyte check out what happens when it is plugged into Asus! When you look at the black wire location nothing makes sense about the pin-out on this device!
I have E-Mailed Sabrent on multiple occasions and have waited weeks with no reply at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:41 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Sorry. I got a bit of tunnel vision concerning your issue. It appears as though Sabrent is either unable or unwilling to reply to your emails concerning this issue. It also appears as though their website is having issues as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:38 pm 

I have been reading alot of peoples feedback concerning card readers of this type and I believe the majority of the problems are caused by crossed wires.
Some drives work for one person and not at all for the next. I totally cannot use this drive (I will not plug it in) until I am certain of the pin-out. It's a shame because the standard is so simple, I don't understand why they cannot include a chart or just use the standard wire colors. I bought this from Amazon.com and I think I will post feedback of a negative nature there concerning Sabrent and ask that anyone who has this drive fully operational to please tell me what MOBO they have so I can check out what pin-out it has, I can then move wires to match.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:07 am 
Million Club
Million Club

Is this the reader you have?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820300608

If it is, look at the pic of the connector, did you buy this new or used?

If not, can you post a link to the item or list the model number?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:22 am 

Yes that is it. It was a little more expensive on Amazon. I bought it new. That plug is wired differently, do you see where the black is? The ground is in the correct location! Contrast the wire colors and locations with what I recieved! I will have to read what the users say in the reviews, perhaps there will be usable info here. I guess I could pull the drive back out of the case and pull it apart looking for internal clues as to what the pin-out is.
BTW, the model number is listed in my first posting as CRW-UINB
One more thing I noticed: My new in the box unit did not have the users manual that they show in the picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:36 am 
Million Club
Million Club

Unfortunately, I suspect this is a returned unit, and possibly/probably even damaged if someone switched the wires, goofed, fried it, and returned the unit.

You were wise to notice the difference.

I would return it and argue for a full refund including all shipping, someone did not inspect the return or a severe goof in manufacturing.