Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: NCIX Aeneon Ram bundles with NO WARRANTY-deceptive sales tac
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:36 pm 

I recently saw some amazing DDR3 Ram and EVGA X-58 motherboard bundles on the popular Canadian reseller, NCIX.com's, website

I have bought quite a few things from them and have always been pleased with their prices and service.

When I saw the deal I got, that was a huge savings (I think it was a $400 CDN savings) I was a little skeptical, so I even called in to ask what the catch was....after been reassured that it was legit, the RAM was good, and their was some Intel push to move i7's etc due to the slowing economy....

I ordered the RAM, but soon after my new system was set up I had some timing questions I wanted to ask Aeneon.

When I tried their URL I found that it was not working - and on further investigation I found out that the parent company of the Aeneon brand RAM, Quimonda has declared insolvency !!!

There is no more warranty and support for this RAM, since Jan 2009, before I bought the RAM from NCIX - admittedly for very cheap - without any knowledge of this - the Ram is still listed with a manufacturers warranty on NCIX's site.

As soon as I found this out I immediately contacted NCIX to see if they would let me return the RAM, in exchange for a brand that was still in business

The below is my disappointing online conversation about this issue - more frustratingly when I asked for an extension or phone number to someone in charge/management who i could actually TALK to about this is was told that they were not contactable by phone, and I had to continue responding through the online ticket process -

I hope that they eventually help me...but I don't hold out too much hope - perhaps Maximum PC can help !

Here is the (badly formatted sorry, their customer ticket section has not options for formatting, and I repeat myself a lot in my frustration!) conversation..also the begining of the conversation is at the bottom

************************************************************************************************************

Original Message(s)
Dated Feb 26, 2009 at 05:34 PM reply from you

Having called in again and spoken to the RAM department I find your handling of this situation unacceptable.

I have stated that I am NOT unhappy with what I was sold, only unhappy with the warranty situation with the RAM, which I was not informed about when I called in to ask about when I initially saw the bundle on your site and purchased over the phone. If NCIX was un-aware of the status of Aeneon at the time I understand, but NCIX still bears the responsibility of selling a product with no warranty without informing me of this. I DO FIND response to my problem unacceptable.

As I have stated before I only purchased the bundle because of the price, and knowing that I could recover some of the cost by selling my old motherboard and Ram. If I did not do that, or get the deal I would not have been able to afford the upgrade. If I send the Bundle back for a refund, not only will I now be without a computer, but I will be without the money until it is refunded so I can buy something else. As a married working person I don't have the budget to blow on computer upgrades all the time.

I called the RMA department today, and I suggested numerous compromises that should be acceptable to both me and NCIX, but they were refused!!!!!!

I firstly asked that I was told the value of the RAM in the BUNDLE (not the stand alone price) I would gladly return the RAM and PAY THE DIFFERENCE for different RAM from another manufacturer.
NO WAS THE ANSWER - we can only refund the bundle.

I then suggested then that I could 'return' the bundle, but just ship the RAM - once it was received that amount of bundle would be refunded on my credit card - that right afterwards the Motherboard would be resold to me at the stand alone price - if this compromise RMA was approved prior to shipping the RAM I would order replacement RAM on a separate order so I would not be without RAM in my computer.
I cannot see why this last idea would not work, even though there would be some rule bending - I am not trying to rip of NCIX, as I have stated I am quite willing to return the RAM and PAY MORE MONEY to NCIX for different RAM and I can't see why this will work.

If your final answer is still ‘return the bundle for refund’ then to be honest my only recourse would be to buy another motherboard and RAM from somewhere else and send back the bundle.
I can't understand why you would be interested in losing my business, since until this incident I was quite a happy NCIX customer. I would like a final answer as soon as possible on this matter - as I have said, I will compromise, but offering me free shipping and no restocking fee is not the answer.

Dated Feb 26, 2009 at 03:09 PM reply from you

I will NOT be shipping the bundle back for a refund, since I am using it as my computer and cannot be without one, since I sold my old parts.
I would cross ship RMA the RAM for another brand, and as I mentioned if I cannot get the full value of the RAM I would like to know the value of the RAM and I would be willing to pay a difference in cost for another brand, as long as that difference is reasonable
I will be calling the RMA department and be expecting to talk to a manager about this issue
Thanks

Dated Feb 26, 2009 at 01:39 PM reply from Ncix Support

Hi Alex,
Unfortunatley, all we can offer you is to take the bundle back for refund if you are unhappy with it. As there is an issue with the RAM company, we will cover all shipping charges for the item and no restocking fee will be charged.
========================
Regards,
Ryuji Kita
Ncix.com/ Netlink Computer Inc
http://www.ncix.com

Dated Feb 25, 2009 at 05:35 PM reply from you

I have not heard any official response from NCIX and it has bee 48 hrs since I reporeted my issue.

I have called 2 times, and I have been told by the RMA rep on the phone that this is in the hands of Management, but was also told that I should not expect more than NCIX taking my motherboard and RAM back for a full refund. Since that would leave me with no computer, and also is really no differennt that someone waiving the restocking fee if I was unsatisfied with any other product at NCIX I would NOT find that acceptable

Let me reiterate that my primary concern was that after I saw the deal, and after I had called in to ask what the 'catch' was, since the savings were so great - being given some spiel about Intel needing to sell i7's, economy is slow so we need to move stock etc etc - I find out the real reason is the NCIX, or the distributor that the RAM was bought from was desperate to dump stock of inventory from a vendor who was now insolvent.

That is plain bad business, and deceptive business - whether or not NCIX was aware of the insolvency - you, as the seller have to take full responsibilty for what you sold me.
I am not trying to be difficult - but I used to have - and I am sure many other satisfied customers - a lot of faith that NCIX was a little different than other online retailers - if there is nothing that can be done for me then not only with I be reluctant to deal with NCIX again but I would also perhaps feel the need to take further action in this matter.
Thanks

Dated Feb 25, 2009 at 11:38 AM reply from you

Here is a thread in your own forums about this topic

http://forums.ncix.com/forums/?mode=sho ... t_id=34865

Dated Feb 25, 2009 at 10:09 AM reply from you

please note that I am not necessarily looking for replacement RAM from a current vendor (corsair, ocz, patriot etc) that is necessarily the exact same speed etc - I would be quote happy with some 1600mhz sticks - I just would like something that works that is not from a Vendor that is in insolvency.

Also simply returning the RAM is not an option, since part of the reason why I went for the deal is that I knew I could sell my old MB and RAM to help pay for the new stuff - which I have done - if I returned the RAM I would have no computer

Dated Feb 23, 2009 at 02:32 PM composed by you

Hi There
I purchased a great combo (invoice # XXXXXXX) of the EVGA x58 mother board and some DDR3 1866mhz ram a few weeks ago that was on sale for an amazing price.
Because I was unsure - thinking that there must be some kind of catch - I called in asking about the order and was assure by the sales rep that this was a legit and great deal.
However since I received the RAM and MB I have been having some issues with timings etc on the board, and I have been looking for support on this - and one of my first ports of call were the EVGA forums. To my dismay I have found out the reason why this RAM was such a good deal !!!

Quimonda has filed for insolvency in January 2009 according to an email another user received when he tried to get support

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100473022

Here is more info on this

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2339532,00.asp

I am very frustrated that either NCIX was unaware of this, or did not inform me of this when I purchased the RAM, since I would not have purchased brand new RAM for my new system that no longer has ANY warranty or support, no matter how good the deal was, or how good the quality was.

I have previous held NCIX in high regard as the most reputable and best Canadian online computer retailers, but now I am starting to doubt that.
I would like the opportunity to cross-ship RMA the ram to NCIX in exchange for another brand (OCZ or Corsair) that is similar in specification, but I would be very unhappy if I would have to pay more for the RAM, since I feel it was wrong for the RAM to be sold if the company was out of business without telling me.

I hope that there is something that you can do for me as soon as possible- and I hope to hear from someone soon - if someone could call me in the next 30 mins I can be reached at my office
Thanks for any help you can give me

Last edited by drsquid on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:49 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Quote:
Unfortunatley, all we can offer you is to take the bundle back for refund if you are unhappy with it. As there is an issue with the RAM company, we will cover all shipping charges for the item and no restocking fee will be charged.

I don't see a problem with this solution. You get your money back and you can go buy something that you prefer.

NCIX is not responsible for the problems with their suppliers. You got the part that you asked for ... and they are willing to refund your money and pay for shipping since you are unhappy.

Also, posting your phone number in a public forum is ... well ... not a very bright idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:17 am 

yes i didn't notice my phone number !!! Thanks for pointing that out -

The whole argument on my end is that I do want to return the RAM and exchange it for different RAM, I am frustrated that they want me to send the MB back too, which I want to keep - as I said I would ok if they charged me separately for the price of the board, I am mad that their only recourse is to send it all back - leaving me with no computer unless I spend more money before hand and buy another board and ram from them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:57 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Yeah, I understand that. I understand both of your positions, really. It is a pretty shitty position to be in.

Have you tested the RAM? If it works, the odds of it failing are pretty remote .. RAM is a works / doesn't work kind of part. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the warranty once I knew it was working. I understand, though, that most people really enjoy having that extra security,.