Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PunkBuster Global Hardware Ban - Letter to the editor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:05 pm 

Yes, I'm sorry to say. My husband is on the Ban list! Now he can't play any games where servers use PunkBuster old or future games. I also understand there is no appeals process on Global Hardware Banned PC's. Don't even know how PunkBuster was given info to justify such an exteme measure. As a gamer I don't agree with cheating and support PunkBuster ban on players. But only on a game by game basis. But, to ban a whole PC! Come on, is this Hooverism all over again? Did the FBI take over Punkbuster HQ? Can some admin falsely turn you in and bam your on the list next! I'd like some answers in the whole process PunkBuster is using to determin these Global Hardware Bans. What right does PunkBuster have to do this? To me as a gamer and consumer, this is not right!

Pale, Indianapolis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:10 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

It's not a server turning you in, it's the PB program that you installed on your own computer...along with the server-side app. If it finds material that constitutes the global ban, then you're gone. It's not some kid on the other end saying "global ban that player".

By buying the games, you agree to rules. Rules that include not circumventing it's copy protection, stealing or passing out keys, or altering it's program in any state. PB is not the one to blame, it's just the COP enforcing the rules the end user agreed to. If you do these and then decide to come out in public to play me, then get caught...you're banned. I'm very happy with that aspect of PB. What I'm not happy about is the random errors, but I'll live with that as long as cheaters and theifs are finally cracked down on.

And a cheater, is a cheater, is a cheater. There's nothing saying that if you get caught cheating in one game, then you won't go cheat on another game. I also respect this practice as it's a "zero tolerance" one. PB just up and says, "nope. You cheated here, you won't fool me again. Global Ban"

The only downfall I could possibly see is the very rare chance that some user with a false CD key has one identical as mine and gets ME banned. But I've yet to hear one of those stories yet.

But in all, Ignorance isn't bliss here. You get caught on a PB-loaded game, then you're out of that ever growing family of games. And, for once, people may actually read the EULA instead of just checking "I agree" and moving on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:47 pm 

I hear you. But, they he's not the only innocent person to get the Global Hardware Ban and wasn't cheating. The fear now is due to it's a GUID random generated on undisclosed hardware/player name/CD-Key. It could be your, MB, HD, NIC, CPU. So, what effect does that have if this hardware gets sold to another person (ebay). You run the risk of spreading Banned Hardware to more innocent people on PB protected games.

Then again, you could boycott games with PB protection! I just think PB is falable and shouldn't have the last word on Global Hardware Bans.