Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wrong Drive in Box - WD VelociRaptor - Beware!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:08 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I bought 3 WD VelociRaptors (WD3000GLFS) from BestBuy the other day. When I got home and opend the boxes, only 1 was the correct drive. The other 2 were their WD3000HLFS. The HLFS doesn't have the heat sink on the end, and the power and data connectors are on a card that's rivited to the bottom of the drive (I believe these are for installation in a jbod or a system where you plug the drive directly into a backplane).

All 3 boxes were labled as WD3000GLFS and were shrink wrapped, and the drives were in unopened static bags, which leads me to believe that these drives are leaving WD incorrectly boxed.

I spent more that an hour back at BestBuy trying to exchange the incorrect drives. The problem is that neither BestBuy, nor probably any other retailer, will take a return on an item that doesn't match the description on the box or receipt. The manager at the store finally gave in and gave me the exchange.

Yesterday I stopped in at a different BestBuy to pick up another WD3000GLFS, but this time opened the box in the store - another HLFS. This time it was much easier to exchange it for the correct one.

So a word to the wise - don't order one of these drives online unless you're feeling really lucky, and if you buy in a retail store, check inside the box before you leave! I ordered a total of 4 drives and 3 were incorrectly boxed and labled. Just try to confince an online retailer that you're not just trying to pull a fast one.

Steve Vanetti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:16 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Pst... email WD Customer Support

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:40 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Yes, most definitely email WD Customer Support about this to let them know about this situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:22 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I did but never received a reply - not that I really expected one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:46 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

svanetti wrote:
I did but never received a reply - not that I really expected one.

I wonder if they've changed their customer service dept... All three times I've contacted them in the past I received an answer within 24 hours, but it has been 4 years since I last used a WD drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:01 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I just got home and found an email from WD. There claim is that the HLFS is cable compatable to the GLFS with the advantage that it can also be plugged into a backplane. They also state that the HLFS does have a heat sink like the GLFS. They blamed BestBuy for retail fraud.

Well, my take is that while the HLFS is mounted to a heat sink, it doesn't have the finned heat sink on the end of the drive like the GLFS. As far as retail fraud, all of the boxes I received were shrink wrapped and the drives in the boxes were in heat-sealed anti static bags.

If you ask me, they're passing the buck.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:23 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

svanetti wrote:
I just got home and found an email from WD. There claim is that the HLFS is cable compatable to the GLFS with the advantage that it can also be plugged into a backplane. They also state that the HLFS does have a heat sink like the GLFS. They blamed BestBuy for retail fraud.

Well, my take is that while the HLFS is mounted to a heat sink, it doesn't have the finned heat sink on the end of the drive like the GLFS. As far as retail fraud, all of the boxes I received were shrink wrapped and the drives in the boxes were in heat-sealed anti static bags.

If you ask me, they're passing the buck.

Steve

From looking at the specs on the website, the drives are identical, it's only the external 3.5" casing that is different. Both have heatsinks as part of the external case, but different designs due to the one being designed for easy use with a backplane.

BTW... you & I can easily buy everything online that is needed to create the illusion of a "Factory sealed" product, which is why some manufacturers use customized sealing products. IIRC, from store shelves, WD uses generic shrink wrap, & the last one I bought had generic anti-static bag & sealing sticker. Shrink wrap, anti-static bags, stickers, etc... all just a click of the mouse & a credit-card number away for you & I.... even easier for a retailer....

BTW... the HLFS is the more expensive drive due to the customization for direct use with a backplane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:51 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Well, I realize what you're saying, but these static bags weren't sealed with a sticker. It was the type of seal that you have to cut the bag open. The manager I worked with put the HLFS model number in his computer and said that model wasn't even sold by BestBuy, so where would they have gotten that many. Besides, BestBuy is a big chain. I can't see them taking the chance of getting caught, but I suppose there's always that possibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:47 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

svanetti wrote:
Well, I realize what you're saying, but these static bags weren't sealed with a sticker. It was the type of seal that you have to cut the bag open. The manager I worked with put the HLFS model number in his computer and said that model wasn't even sold by BestBuy, so where would they have gotten that many. Besides, BestBuy is a big chain. I can't see them taking the chance of getting caught, but I suppose there's always that possibility.

You can easily buy heat sealers too...

Why do judges & politicians take bribes when their entire lives can come crashing down around them if they get caught... Why did Enron collapse... Why did tainted peanut butter hit store shelves even after the manufacturer "potentially knew" that the peanut butter was tainted (according to at least one news source)... Why do we have prisons overflowing with inmates??? Because the majority of people only think of the "right now" & give no thought to potential future consequences. I kind of doubt that Best Buy as a company is doing that... but it has happened in the past within other rather large retailers.

To me, it sounds more like a quality control issue on WD part. In your case it doesn't matter & you didn't have to go buy more drives... A quick check of the manufacturers specs for both drives & a close-up view of the power & data connections shows that, but I have to wonder if the opposite has happened as well... have GLFS drives made it into HLFS packages... That would be a very frustrating situation... you pay more for drive that's supposed to just plug into your backplane, only to find a cheaper drive in your package that won't just "plug in"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:22 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hmmmm...good point.