Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Acer not Aspiring
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:39 pm 

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 4730z notebook from my Local Best buy. There was two listed built in features that helped me choose this particular notebook. The first was a built in web cam as part of its Acer Video conferencing feature. The second is built in bluetooth. Imagine my suprise when I get home and there is no built in web cam. I then go to link up my bluetooth stereo headphones and hmm there is no bluetooth installed on this machine, even though there is a hot button installed. When the button is oushed it says that there is no device installed. I called Acer to raise my concerns and after explaining my situation the guy on the phone put me on hold to look up the notebooks specs. He comes back and tells me that it is not listed as having built in bluetooth and that the button is there because it is part of their universal chassis. He then tells me that I should however have the web cam. I explian that I don't and offer to send pictures as proof. He then puts me on hold again. He comes back a short while later and then tells me that my notebook is now not listed as supporting the web cam completely contradicting what he had previously told me. I explaind that every spec sheet on the notebook list these features, it was listed at Best Buy, it is listed im my owners manual, and it is listed on many sites. He then ask what sites I am looking at because on Acer's site it is not listed. I guess he meant the notebook was not listed because I could not find it any where on the site. I feel like I was duped. Please help. I have included a link to the specs for the note book. http://www.notebook-driver.com/laptops-information/acer-aspire-4730z-notebook-technical-specifications/ Thanks, Derick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:51 pm 

if it helps my specific info is as follows:

Intel mobile Pentium Dual-core t3400 2.16ghz 667mgz FSB 1mb lv2
2gb ddr2 pc5300
250gb hdd
Nplify 802.11a/b/g/draft-n
dvd super multi drive

One interesting part is that I have the built in mic which is part of the video conferencing feature meant to accompany the web cam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:53 pm 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

What's the full model of that notebook?

Mine is Acer Aspire AS5650-5520.

Regardless, Acer uses one chassis for all of it's Aspire 14" notebooks, whether or not they use all of the features (such as your "missing" BlueTooth). Keeps their costs down.

Pop the full model in, and I'll see if I can help - I'm used to navigating that website for friends and relatives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:28 am 

Thank Super. It is 4730-4156.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:00 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

They definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) have some problems with lower end models. My mother's uninstalls the LAN everytime it sleeps or reboots and it takes hours to get it recognized agian. I ended up jsut going out and buying a DGL 4500 router since the wireless is about the only thing that will stay installed. They also didn't provide and cd's for vista. Lucky the DVD's can install any version so I just used my Vista Business DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:04 pm 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

Thank goodness I've still got my Acer Reseller Channel. ;)

My Rep told me it was a Special Edition only for Best Buy. And he confirmed what I theorized and posted above - the Bluetooth button is on all of certain series (in your case - the AS4700's), but it depends on the package ordered whether or not you actually have that option.

As far as he could tell, all Aspire (consumer) laptops, though not all Extenza (Business) laptops, have a webcam. What might have happened was that Best Buy double-tagged one laptop with two different - but similar - models.

Is it misleading? It smells like it - more on Best Buy's part, not Acer's. If you've got the receipt, I'd go back to the store and figure out what's up.