Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: UOL * Netzero
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:36 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

This unethical jerkwads!

I had their service maybe 2 years ago... because we had wireless internet and in the winter sometimes it was prone to getting covered in ice. Anyway, I have LONG since canceled their service.

I log into my credit card... I see this random charge for $4.95 on Jan 7. No way, I DID NOT order any services from them.!

So, basically they are going to get a phone call from me demanding it be refunded, that they remove my credit card information from their system, and they will be warned that another charge to any of my credit cards they might keep around despite my request to be removed will result in a harassment lawsuit. I am also going to send a letter to them in addition to this stating the same thing.

I encourage anybody whom has EVER use Netzero to watch their statements like hawks for any cards they have paid for Netzero services with. Even if it was years ago.

I am sure this unscrupulous counts on people not watching their statement and missing the small charge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:44 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Unless somebody has your card number and needed some internet service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:46 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

bigtoyota479 wrote:
Unless somebody has your card number and needed some internet service.
Not likely. I wouldn't freaking buy dial up if I stole somebodies card, I'd buy a TV. ::shrug::

Their internet service is $9.95, this charge was $4.95. Apparently after some googling, it has something to do with Norton Security Suite....

/sigh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:59 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Oh, suckage. Call your bank asap and dispute that charge, AND send a letter/email to whoever charged it. That way you're covered on both ends. Unless you have Norton and it's some kind of auto-renew thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:01 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

bigtoyota479 wrote:
Oh, suckage. Call your bank asap and dispute that charge, AND send a letter/email to whoever charged it. That way you're covered on both ends. Unless you have Norton and it's some kind of auto-renew thing.
LOL

I don't even run AV at home... :)

But seriously, I am going to have to call NZ first, because they credit card company will tell me to anyway. I want to have both the verbal / recorded phone call stating that if they do this again they will be sued in addition to the letter. Then I will call the credit card company. This way I have record of trying to resolve it with the "vendor" first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:06 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

A word of warning is needed here.
If you do record the conversation, you MUST tell the other person before hand that you are recording the conversation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:25 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

dedgar wrote:
If you do record the conversation, you MUST tell the other person before hand that you are recording the conversation.
No, they always record it for "Quality purposes".

I am not going to fool with recording it, but that is a good heads up for people who might want to do that.

I am *HOPING* this will be the end of it, and that the letter (which I will get delivery confirmation on it) and the dispute with the credit card company will be enough to prove it has happened in the past. I am really banking on them actually leaving me alone. I don't want to deal with it beyond today, but I will if it happens again. Even if only to drive the point home this is unacceptable behavior and to knock it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:46 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Wow. You sure get worked up over $5.00. I'd hate to see you lose real money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:18 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Spider Monkey wrote:
Wow. You sure get worked up over $5.00. I'd hate to see you lose real money.
No, after I had to call them 3 or so times to cancel and each time they assured me I had canceled? As I am sure you know, it wasn't a simple 10 minute phone call. Each was at least 30 minutes most of which I was on hold.

They are just a scummy company.

Think about it like this, the time I will have to spend to make it right, and ensure they don't bill me again. My time is expensive. It will probably been in total, a couple hours before everything is said and done.

More than the $5 on the statement. Just think, if I didn't catch this and they kept billing me... over a year, it's $60.

It is more so that they get the picture to leave me the hell alone. I really am banking on them leaving me alone after this. Although I am going to set up an alert on my credit card so I get an email / phone call if they appear on my statement again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:43 am 

CrashTECH wrote:
They are just a scummy company.
You're the one that hired them. lawl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:46 am 
Northwood
Northwood

dedgar wrote:

Not true. You can record any conversation you want to. It's no different than taking notes using shorthand. You just can't use it in any kind of legal proceedings.