Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Fileplanet.com/IGN
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:04 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

About a year ago I purchased a membership to fileplanet.com in order to quickly download a patch for system shock 2. Since that time I have not used the service and completely forgot about the membership. That is until last month when I noticed a $39.95 charge on my credit card from fileplanet.com. I quickly logged back on to fileplanet, canceled my membership and contacted customer service explaining that I wanted a refund because I had not intended to renew the service, and was not aware that it would automatically renew. I did not hear from them again until last night at 2:10AM when they sent me an email saying that they were closing the CS ticket because they had not received a response from me. Apparently fileplanet customer service only try to contact you through your fileplanet account and make no effort to send you an email notification, so i was not aware that they had responded. Upon logging into the fileplanet account I was greeted by a computer generated message stating that they fileplanet would cancel my membership (which I already did) but they do no offer refunds on subscriptions.

I've had companies auto re-bill me in the past (sirius radio), and generally if you contact them within the same month explaining that you did not want to renew your subscription they'll refund you the money with little trouble. This is the first time that I have encountered a "reputable" company that makes no effort to contact you prior to renewing your subscription and then refuses to issue a refund when you request it. I'm currently working with my CC company to dispute the charges but capital one does not make that process very easy.