Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: After you get your new PC DO NOT USE DRIVER DETECTIVE
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:32 am 

I run a small business out of my home in san diego Custom PC Building/installing/prgramming and Late one night I was working on my own rig and got sick and tired of looking for drivers so i tried a program called driver detective. Doing what I do I should have really known better to be honest with you but im always up for tring new software and its a tax write off for me so why not. Well first off there software is a scam!!!! it will tell you 9.99 but after ou process the payment it will tell you 39.99 .. I should have known right there that it wasnt right but i over looked that and moved on. I ran the program and it stated I had 17 drivers the where messed up or out of date. First off I know i only had one that was wrong so again another ""light bulb"" should have went off. But again I said why not lets try it. So I did and my computer went to hell. I have over $3000 dollers worth of hardware in my machine and it all went nuts. it took me 2 days to fix it all. Moral of the story if DONT USE DRIVER DETECTIVE!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:38 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

This should be in the dog pound,and i am sure anybody with a expensive pc would know better then using a program like that to update drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:15 am 

Yeah I saw that after I posted this lol. Im used this site before but just to get info never signed up so still kinda new lol thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:22 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

In that case, it would do you some good to read the rules before you post. ;)

Double posting is also not a good idea. One thread per topic please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:34 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

When trying new software in the future, use a Virtual Machine environment to do so.

I likeVMWare the most. But have been trying out Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 for the last couple of months. If you use MS VPC 2007, make sure you install Additions as soon as you get ready to boot it up the first time. Saves a lot of headaches!

Using a simple Virtual PC on your desktop, you can run any of these programs with reckless abandon and have absolutely ZERO worries of it infecting your primary operating system.

Oh yeah, thanks for the heads up about that BS software. Not that I would use it, but it's always good to try and find low cost/free solutions for those less technically inclined people we all have to deal with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:25 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

My nieces husband called me wanting help setting up new drivers. The first thing he says is I used Driver Detective and it found 17 drivers that need updating!!!!!! Now to be honest he is one of those folks who doesn't need to use a computer but to his credit he called me before letting that program install new drivers in his machine. I told him that program was full of crap that the most he should need to update would be 3 drivers ie chipset, audio, and graphics and really only the graphics. Maybe its just me but for some reason trying to talk him through a driver uninstall and then install is almost like pulling teeth. It would be easier to go do it myself but I don't have time. KOMMANDER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:25 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

DriverMax

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:12 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Just replying because I saw you were in San Diego. Fire up 640AM on Saturday morning and late at night on Suday to listen to Leo...the tech guy. Only geek radio I know of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:29 pm 

i use driver detective no problems yet and it has updated a few times

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]