Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Vista Home Basic.........
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:40 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Dear Microsoft,

I fought through the annoying UAC, the grimicaing 20 seconds it can take to open control panel on a dual core laptop, and many of your other flaws. But I cannot get over the fact that when I went to watch a DVD in WMP 11. YOU WOULDN"T LET ME SAYING THAT I DON'T HAVE DVD DECODING. So I got to your link for help and see that you tell me to upgrade my version or pay a third party to allow my laptop to play a DVD in WMP 11.

Forget that....I just used Open VLC instead :)

Vista = P.O.S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:02 pm 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

yeah, they really should never have released homebasic. wasn't it originally just the emergency fallback? I remember reading that somewhere. well the good thing about windows is there are so many other (and superior) options. glad you found a solution

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:31 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I got Basic because it was cheapest option for my laptop (Lenovo). It looks exaclty like all the others but is missing those small key features because Microsoft feels they must price gauge you. Thank god for Open VLC and ffdshow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:18 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Home Basic has never been suggested here, I know that!

Vista doesn't shit the bed...Cheap does. Home Premium didn't cost that much more, and Linux is free.

So the beef isn't with MS. It's with your research in buying and how tight you are with your wallet IMO. Vista isn't new man. What's to be said, is out there all over the place.

You are in control of what you buy. Basic is a big piece of crap, and it's not a mystery. That you make it a surprise is on your own accord.

Wanna buy some ocean front property in Arizona and then complain about it? A year later? Just to shave bucks!? Try linux or BSD if you're that cheap. Or just get a mac and get it over with (which is Linux, user friendly)

Take full responsibility for your purchase. The problems you have are fully disclosed prior to your actions, and you still ignored those and stayed cheap. So with that Dear MS letter, write a letter explaining your faults as well for such a crap-tastic rationality in why they're at any fault.

Want Win98SE at a savings? I'll send it to you cheap. I gotta say, it won't do 1/10th of anything...but it's cheap! I'm not scared of the sale, because I know you'll blame MS for it and not me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:18 am 
Million Club
Million Club

Chumly wrote:

Vista doesn't shit the bed...Cheap does. Home Premium didn't cost that much more, and Linux is free.

So the beef isn't with MS. It's with your research in buying and how tight you are with your wallet IMO. Vista isn't new man. What's to be said, is out there all over the place.

You are in control of what you buy. Basic is a big piece of crap, and it's not a mystery. That you make it a surprise is on your own accord.

Wanna buy some ocean front property in Arizona and then complain about it? A year later? Just to shave bucks!? Try linux or BSD if you're that cheap. Or just get a mac and get it over with (which is Linux, user friendly)

Take full responsibility for your purchase. The problems you have are fully disclosed prior to your actions, and you still ignored those and stayed cheap. So with that Dear MS letter, write a letter explaining your faults as well for such a crap-tastic rationality in why they're at any fault.

Want Win98SE at a savings? I'll send it to you cheap. I gotta say, it won't do 1/10th of anything...but it's cheap! I'm not scared of the sale, because I know you'll blame MS for it and not me.

That was beautiful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:27 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Chumly wrote:

I bought low because I could barely afford to get this laptop which I need for College in the coming year as it is nearly required for my Major (MIS). I wanted Home Premium but couldn't afford it.

It just pisses me off that Microsoft has to be cheap enough to not add something so minor because they want you to upgrade to a new option. But w/e there are plenty of freeware options that allow me to make up for its shortcomings.

Can't wait until Windows 7 comes out.