Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: GTA4 for PC.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:59 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

And so begins the rant:

I have been waiting for this game to come out on PC for about the last 2 years in which I have been content in playing San Andreas on the PC, and enjoying it. I even put up the with the fact that I had to wait some extra months for the game to be ported to the PC from console, it's a regular thing, it happened to GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas...no biggie.

Steam is the means which I decided to obtain the game, and thus the problems begin. Instead of releasing the game at midnight on December 2nd (official release date) like EVERY other online game download service, the fucking brainiacs at Valve decide to make us loyal customers (I've run steam based games for the past 4 years) wait an extra 20 hours for the release. This really sets me off; and ALOT of other people off on the Steam-GTA4 forums. What are these idiots thinking? Half the people on the forum were sending in support tickets to Valve asking for a refund so they could download from Direct2Drive at midnight (which had a countdown timer to midnight, further infuriating me in the nature of pure mockery). This really messed up my download plans, which were initially to start the download at midnight, go to school the next day, and hopefully be able to play when I got home from school, there was no chance at this now.

I get home from school and find that Valve has actually acquired some shred of intelligence and the game is ready for download, about 5 hours before the December 2nd 8:00pm foresaid planned release. This got my hopes up, but only for about 25 minutes when I realized that the download speed was frozen at “Download Startingâ€

Last edited by poweruser on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:01 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

Are there any aliens or robots in your novel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:17 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

drainbread wrote:

EDIT: Cliffnotes added for lazy trolls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:00 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

poweruser wrote:
drainbread wrote:

EDIT: Cliffnotes added for lazy trolls.

*handwaves insult*

Look bubba, if you're going to write an anally verbose post, you need to make it interesting. Add some car chases or a sexual encounter, just do something to make people want to read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:25 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Well, in fairness, his post does describe a good reaming.

Disclaimer: I did not actually read the post. I'm making an assumption based on what I've heard happens when GTAIV meets a PC ... BORK!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:28 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

drainbread wrote:
Look bubba, if you're going to write an anally verbose post, you need to make it interesting. Add some car chases or a sexual encounter, just do something to make people want to read it.

If I make an "anally verbose" thread about the hassle I've dealt with over the past 2 days, and you decide not to read it, then you don't need to comment on it. Especially not comments that only hope to gain a couple laughs.

I actually didn't think it was too boring considering it's based off something people are more than happy to hear about, other people's hardship and suffering. If anything, take it as an educational experience, I didn't make this to entertain you, I made this in the hopes I would rally others to awareness of how badly treated the consumer is in the PC gaming culture nowdays. [/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:52 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

There's actually another post about this same idea in the Games section. Started yesterday, so you're not the only one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:10 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

bigtoyota479 wrote:
There's actually another post about this same idea in the Games section. Started yesterday, so you're not the only one.

Oops, missed that. Back to the forums after a 2 year absence :D.

The response does seem to be overwhelming with the flood of threads about this issue all over the internet. Developers have to have taken notice of it, now let's hope they can break the hold their bank accounts have over their business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:41 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

poweruser wrote:
Developers have to have taken notice of it

They don't care about ports, they already made their money back on the console versions. Hell, I doubt they even care about original titles...

Just look at how Crytek/EA treated people who bought Crysis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:55 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

So does this mean there will be no scantily clad alien princesses in his story?? :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:08 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

dedgar wrote:
So does this mean there will be no scantily clad alien princesses in his story?? :evil:

Doesn't look like it :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:38 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

poweruser wrote:
bigtoyota479 wrote:

The response does seem to be overwhelming with the flood of threads about this issue all over the internet. Developers have to have taken notice of it, now let's hope they can break the hold their bank accounts have over their business.

To be fair .. you put your post in the correct section. So did the person who posted in the Games Arena. This topic belongs equally in both section, imo.

It was a good post (I did go back and read it) ... though you'll find that most people just nod and say 'yah, that sucks' as they do one of two things: buy the product anyway and continue to support a broken industry, or steal the game and help to ensure that DRM and other evil things do not go away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:37 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

drainbread wrote:
poweruser wrote:
Developers have to have taken notice of it

They don't care about ports, they already made their money back on the console versions. Hell, I doubt they even care about original titles...

Just look at how Crytek/EA treated people who bought Crysis.

Agreed.
UbiSoft did the same thing back in the R6 series days.
I got out of gaming soon afterward and haven't looked back.
I will NOT give in to consoles.

Then again we are talking about getting a Wii for Christmas for the family but I don't really consider it the same thing.
The Wii incorporates features that even PC's don't have. It's not much better than gaming in general but it does at least get you up off the couch a little. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:29 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

-Lawless wrote:
I will NOT give in to consoles.
There are 2 series of games I buy consoles for, Gran Turismo and Metal Gear
Quote:
Then again we are talking about getting a Wii for Christmas for the family but I don't really consider it the same thing.
The Wii incorporates features that even PC's don't have. It's not much better than gaming in general but it does at least get you up off the couch a little. :wink:

I got my hads on a wii over Thanksgiving and I have to admit that while the games are butt ugly, they're fun. Not sure if I will ever buy one though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:42 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Jipstyle wrote:
poweruser wrote:
bigtoyota479 wrote:

To be fair .. you put your post in the correct section. So did the person who posted in the Games Arena. This topic belongs equally in both section, imo.

It was a good post (I did go back and read it) ... though you'll find that most people just nod and say 'yah, that sucks' as they do one of two things: buy the product anyway and continue to support a broken industry, or steal the game and help to ensure that DRM and other evil things do not go away.

I wasn't trying to say he misplaced his post. I was merely informing him that other attention to this same subject was going on in another section. That there actually WERE people with responses to this sort of thing, instead of the usual trolli-ness that we (myself included) typically engage in.