Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Real Networks and Rhapsody mysterious bank charge
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:13 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:26 am
Posts: 4739
Location: Dixon Springs, TN
My sister signed up for the Rhapsody music downloading from Real Networks. I helped her through this and I pay particular attention to the 'fine print', prechecked boxes at the bottom of the page, etc.
So imagine our surprise when a $35 charge shows up on the bank account from Superpass from Rea. (The 'Rea' was probably truncated by the bank and should have read as Real Networks.)
I called the phone number that accompianied the charge and found that it was from Real Networks for the ability to download music, games, movie viewing, etc.
I told the csr that neither of us had authorised this. That the only thing that was authorised was music downloading via the basic Rhapsody service and told them to immediately cancel the Superpass and return the money. The csr complied with this demand.
I will continue to moniter the bank account for this charge in the future to verify compliance.
Heads up for anyone else thinking about Rhapsody. Keep an eye on your bank charges.
This may have been an error on my side. But I SERIOUSLY doubt it as I have been through this type of sh** before and am rather anal about the 'add-ons' at the bottom of the page.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:39 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 7076
I hate to ask a stupid question but it's never stopped me before. Here goes: Did you, AT ANY TIME, enter any kind of credit card information while in the Rhapsody sign-up process?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:06 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:26 am
Posts: 4739
Location: Dixon Springs, TN
Yes, since they don't let you pay by check or carrier pidgeon anymore.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:04 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:58 am
Posts: 6498
Location: I live on the verge of insanity
dedgar wrote:
Yes, since they don't let you pay by check or carrier pidgeon anymore.


Hows about the pony express?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:54 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 7076
I've got Rhapsody installed on my machine. Came with my Verizon phone. I can't complain about it so far, although your little ditty is gonna have me watching a little closer. I have yet to put in my CC number though.

I'm still a bit confused. If you had to put in a CC number when you installed it, why'd you install it in the first place? There are some alternatives that are completely free. Or were you expecting to pay on a per song basis?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:51 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:26 am
Posts: 4739
Location: Dixon Springs, TN
bigtoyota479 wrote:
If you had to put in a CC number when you installed it, why'd you install it in the first place?


I have a CC, my sister doesn't and she wanted Rhapsody.

bigtoyota479 wrote:
Or were you expecting to pay on a per song basis?


That is what she is doing. I keep track of the charges and she pays me back.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:10 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:58 am
Posts: 6498
Location: I live on the verge of insanity
dedgar wrote:
bigtoyota479 wrote:
If you had to put in a CC number when you installed it, why'd you install it in the first place?


I have a CC, my sister doesn't and she wanted Rhapsody.

bigtoyota479 wrote:
Or were you expecting to pay on a per song basis?


That is what she is doing. I keep track of the charges and she pays me back.


What if she doesn't? Whips, chains and a gagball?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:11 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:27 pm
Posts: 713
drainbread wrote:
dedgar wrote:
bigtoyota479 wrote:
If you had to put in a CC number when you installed it, why'd you install it in the first place?


I have a CC, my sister doesn't and she wanted Rhapsody.

bigtoyota479 wrote:
Or were you expecting to pay on a per song basis?


That is what she is doing. I keep track of the charges and she pays me back.


What if she doesn't? Whips, chains and a gagball?



:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

WTF, goes on in your family?!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:38 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 7076
dedgar wrote:
bigtoyota479 wrote:
If you had to put in a CC number when you installed it, why'd you install it in the first place?


I have a CC, my sister doesn't and she wanted Rhapsody.

bigtoyota479 wrote:
Or were you expecting to pay on a per song basis?


That is what she is doing. I keep track of the charges and she pays me back.


Ah, ok. This little tidbit was missing from the original post, and it was unclear if you were expecting free software or were expecting to pay for songs.

So, the point is, you were expecting a song-by-song basis, and they were charging you a flat monthly rate for "unlimited" downloads. At least that what it sounds like they were doing. Have you considered iTunes? Their library is much larger, at least so I hear.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:23 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:26 am
Posts: 4739
Location: Dixon Springs, TN
bigtoyota479 wrote:
So, the point is, you were expecting a song-by-song basis, and they were charging you a flat monthly rate for "unlimited" downloads. At least that what it sounds like they were doing.


No, I paid for the basic music download package which is $14.95. You then download the tunes you want for 99 cents each. (You can download a whole album if you want but I don't know the price.)
The $35 charge was for an entirely different package that I did not sign up for. This one included movies, games and other stuff.
Don't want it, didn't ask for it, ain't gonna pay for it.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:43 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 7076
Ah, the light is slowly dawning on this monkey's dull brain. Read you loud and clear. I think I'm gonna uninstall that software now and use some other third party software to manage my phone. Thanks for the heads up.

But seriously, instead of Rhapsody have you considered iTunes? I've heard nothing but good things about them.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:16 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:11 am
Posts: 1681
bigtoyota479 wrote:
Ah, the light is slowly dawning on this monkey's dull brain. Read you loud and clear. I think I'm gonna uninstall that software now and use some other third party software to manage my phone. Thanks for the heads up.

But seriously, instead of Rhapsody have you considered iTunes? I've heard nothing but good things about them.


Acually, Maximum PC's december did a head2head with Amazon vs. itunes, and Amazon won by a large margin. their songs are also compatible with the ipood!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:27 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 7076
Yeah, I read that a little while ago. After that article, I'd say Amazon FTW!!


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group