Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: eBay
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:10 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I hope there aren't many ebay sellers on here.. for those that are... you're in for a new surprise next time you go to list an item!!

I went to list a laptop tonight.. logged in ok.. answered a few ebay emails... filled out the form to list the laptop... all was good until I was about to do the final submit.

At this point, eBay then tries to verify your computer, and if it doesn't "recognize" it, it forces you to verify with ebay. I contacted their tech support 'cause I have had dozens of successful sales on ebay, many of which were here in 2008 (and one that finished just yesterday). "Sacha" informed me that EVERY SINGLE SELLER is going to have to manually verify each computer starting today no matter how often they've used eBay in the past. This is to prevent fraud apparently.

They weren't answering many of the questions I would ask (like WHY I have to do this when my account has been perfect for years!) ... so when they started asking me questions in return, I started responding with remarks about tonight's NHL games (hey if they weren't going to answer questions, neither was I...). I guess they didn't like that so they ended the chat session and I didn't get to copy/paste the wonderfully awesome chat session.

Good luck with eBay everyone :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:41 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Sounds like it'd simply be easier to part the computer out instead of selling the complete unit.

I suspect more people will be posting their computers on Craigslist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:38 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Oh. My. God.

eBay is trying to reduce fraud. Those fucking bastards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:40 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Flytrap7 wrote:
Sounds like it'd simply be easier to part the computer out instead of selling the complete unit.

Yeah, too late. The CL for my area is sooooo facking polluted with dealers trying to peddle their wares in the private party sector that it's becoming rather useless to USE CL anymore. Let alone trying to find car parts or anything else. It's turned into a bit of a shytehole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:41 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

CL is dead; long live kijiji!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:44 am 

bigtoyota479 wrote:
Yeah, too late. The CL for my area is sooooo facking polluted with dealers trying to peddle their wares in the private party sector that it's becoming rather useless to USE CL anymore. Let alone trying to find car parts or anything else. It's turned into a bit of a shytehole.

The New York area Craigslist is still pretty good. I got rid of my old Motorcycle on there without any problems last March.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:55 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Getting rid of stuff isn't the problem. It's people listing crap with half a page of keywords that have NOTHING to do with what they have posted. Trying to find what you need has become rather pointless. Oh, and whole boatload of people asking WTB in the for sale section.

HEY IDIOT!! There's a whole section DEVOTED TO WTB!!!!

What is this Kijiji that you speak of?

Example: Oversize mud tires for sale with keywords for Honda, Acura, JDM, B16 etc. Umm, WTF??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:14 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

kijiji is a community-based web-listing service.

Actually, it is a rip-off of Craig's List. :lol:

In Halifax, kijiji has thousands of items posted daily and CL has .. 3. It depends on your location, though .. some are busier than others.

www.kijiji.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:22 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

yeah, that's still a weee bit slow for my area. 11 listings in the computer-accessories section. 97 in the cars under 5k section. Looks like a nice site though and will be adding it to bookmarks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:14 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Flytrap7 wrote:

Actually i think they want to verify the computer your posting the ebay ad from, not the computer you are selling. My bank and one of my credit card co's does the same thing, if you try to access your account from a different computer they ask you to verify it using a code they email or txt to you. Its annoying but it only takes about 5 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:56 am 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

Right, it's the same verification you have to do for Online Banking. Annoying, but not a deal breaker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:18 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

To OP:

They are trying to protect YOU, ya bloke. Specifically because you have had a bunch of sales recently ang got a good feedback score, it makes your selling account a good target for someone to hack into and scam people from. So they try to verify that it's indeed you and not some sleazeball using your identity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:35 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:46 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

:lol: Great pic, Fly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:13 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Until this year a big majority of my computer parts came from Ebay. To be honest New Egg and Tiger Direct played a big part in my choosing to stop using Ebay. I've had a lot of success in past years with them and maybe I still would but getting a seller to take a defective part back and get your money back was getting way to hard. I guess the other thing is that prices at on line stores are starting to get cheaper than Ebay and some sellers really were starting to charge way to much for shipping.