Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Have you ever been screwed by hp?
Yes 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
No 56%  56%  [ 9 ]
They were good at first, but lost me as a fan due to a recent screw up 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Other 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 16
 Post subject: A Very Disappointed HP Customer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:33 pm 

I used to love hp. All my computers that I bought are hp. My printers are hp. Hell, even my keyboard and mouse are made by hp. I was a very, very, dedicated hp customer. All that changed on October 29, 2008, when the recovery disks that those bastards at hp sent me were the wrong ones. They said "for use by hp notebooks only", and my computer was an hp notebook. If you don't already know, i do a recovery every 4-8 months to keep my pc's performance at the max. So, I loaded the recovery disk in. The fun began. It did the recovery faster on the disks than it did on the hard drive. I knew something was wrong. The interface looked different than it did on the hard drive. Something was wrong. Then recovery manager told me to reboot my pc. I did that, and the first thing that happened was the pc froze at the POST screen. It failed to shutdown via the power button. I had to unplug the damn thing and remove the battery. Then, i plug it back in, power it up, and it boots successfully until the setup came up. It worked ok, but hung at a black screen with only the mouse cursor showing. It hung for one hour. ten hours. one day. two days. I then turned it off and tried again, without success.

I thought since I have my OEM product key of the pc, i could just load any vista disk and reinstall, then activate with the oem key. I was wrong. It wouldn't let me do that, or even call microsoft to activate by phone!! I was pissed off. HP had screwed me.

As a last resort, I started looking through the hundreds of cds and dvds in my collection for any operating system that will work until I could save up for a $100 copy of vista home premium 32bit oem. I ended up finding recovery disks that I had made (and forgot about) in the past. They worked.

Here is what I learned:

1. HP tech support sucks ****
2. When you buy your pc prebuilt, make your own recovery disks asap.
3. HP will never receive a penny from me again. They refused to help me when I needed it (because my warranty ended a month before the screw up). They sent me bad recovery disks when my pc was under its one year warranty, and failed to replace them, even though they were the culprit of my pc screw up.

As you can see, this really pissed me off. My hp computer ruined 3 of my nights, while i was trying to fix the problem. I've had bad experience with dell before, and now hp too. I was an hp fan since 2000, but not anymore. It's sad for hp to lose what was once a loyal customer who bought thousands of dollars of hp products every year. I will never recommend hp to anyone again.

From now on, I'm building my desktops and will be getting laptops from apple. At least steve jobs will help me out when i have problems.

Please reply to this post with your experiences with hp.

P.S. It works now, but it was 100% with things I made, not things hp helped me with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:49 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

What happened to your original recovery disks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:52 pm 

Quakindude wrote:
What happened to your original recovery disks?

I had them with me stored in the closet. But, a long time ago, something major happened to my notebook after using the hard drive recovery manager, and i emailed hp and they sent me recovery disks and told me several times to use the ones they sent me the next time i do a recovery. I should have known to use the original ones that I created.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:05 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

My issue with this is that most notebook manufacturers screw up on something like this. Not everytime, but if you think Apple is going to get it right every time, you have a lot more to learn than how limited you'll be with Apple's OS.

You stated that you formatted your HDD to do a fresh install. So I fail to see how HP caused this screw up. I also don't get why you asked for restore disks if you had your own in the first place. Also, you say your warranty ended the month before they "screwed up" and sent you the wrong disks. I have a feeling that had you paid for the disks, you would have indicated that here. If you HAD paid for them, I would say HP owes you a new set of disks that work. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But since you waited until after the warranty period to check the recovery disks out, there's not a hell of a lot ANY company is going to do for you when you are out of warranty.

I've had HP send me two new batteries for my laptop 10 months after my warranty ended. It all depends on the service tech you get on the other end of the line and your attitude towards them. 14 months after my warranty was over, my power brick died. I called HP, told them my story...and I had a great attitude about it, and they sent me a new one for free.

20 months after my warranty was over, I dropped my laptop and the HDD shat itself. My fault completely. I called HP to ask for their price on a new HDD since the website offered one for over $300. When I talked to the rep, I told them I dropped my laptop and killed the HDD. But that I found it very hard to believe HP's cost on a 80GB, 5400RPM drive was $300. After BS'ing with the dude for a bit, he sent me a new one for free.

A limited warranty is just that. I didn't expect a damned thing from HP after that one year. The fact they helped me out anyway was a bonus. If they hadn't, I certainly wouldn't drop them as a potential buy.

Did the computer COME WITH recovery disks? Or a recovery partition?

I understand you're frustrated and angry, but you need to apply a little reason to this whole thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:21 pm 

Quakindude wrote:
My issue with this is that most notebook manufacturers screw up on something like this. Not everytime, but if you think Apple is going to get it right every time, you have a lot more to learn than how limited you'll be with Apple's OS.

You stated that you formatted your HDD to do a fresh install. So I fail to see how HP caused this screw up. I also don't get why you asked for restore disks if you had your own in the first place. Also, you say your warranty ended the month before they "screwed up" and sent you the wrong disks. I have a feeling that had you paid for the disks, you would have indicated that here. If you HAD paid for them, I would say HP owes you a new set of disks that work. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But since you waited until after the warranty period to check the recovery disks out, there's not a hell of a lot ANY company is going to do for you when you are out of warranty.

I've had HP send me two new batteries for my laptop 10 months after my warranty ended. It all depends on the service tech you get on the other end of the line and your attitude towards them. 14 months after my warranty was over, my power brick died. I called HP, told them my story...and I had a great attitude about it, and they sent me a new one for free.

20 months after my warranty was over, I dropped my laptop and the HDD shat itself. My fault completely. I called HP to ask for their price on a new HDD since the website offered one for over $300. When I talked to the rep, I told them I dropped my laptop and killed the HDD. But that I found it very hard to believe HP's cost on a 80GB, 5400RPM drive was $300. After BS'ing with the dude for a bit, he sent me a new one for free.

A limited warranty is just that. I didn't expect a damned thing from HP after that one year. The fact they helped me out anyway was a bonus. If they hadn't, I certainly wouldn't drop them as a potential buy.

Did the computer COME WITH recovery disks? Or a recovery partition?

I understand you're frustrated and angry, but you need to apply a little reason to this whole thing.

I see what you're saying, but I would like to make a few things clear, as I didn't explain it well in the previous posts.

Ok, the laptop came with a recovery partition, not recovery disks. I made those myself. You mentioned that I shouldn't have asked hp for disks if I already had them, well, you are wrong. I had another problem in the past that when I contacted hp about, they said that they will send recovery disks to me that will correct the problem when I choose to do the next recovery. The tech support guy said "Only use the recovery disks that I send you, do not use any other method to perform recoveries from now on". I told him about the disks that I made, and he clearly said several times not to use those.

Forget what I said about switching to apple!! I said that so I can feel better :)

I hope I clarified things a bit. Post again if there is something that you don't fully understand.

By the way, nice banning system you have there. I like how you moderate these forums well, unlike some of the others that I have used.

Post subject: OK Experiences With HP
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:21 pm 

Recently, the WLAN module on my 18-month-old tx1000 went out after a Vista update. I originally blamed the update for corrupting a driver, but after a series of troubleshooting steps (that were more than the ones HP Tech Support led me through), HP and I isolated it to a hardware problem. It's still under warranty, so it's going back to HP in a few days for full repairs for free. It was frustrating, but so far, so good.

I definitely agree with dropping everything else and creating a backup set of DVDs as soon as you verify your computer is up and running and before you install any other s/w. I didn't need mine this time, but I have them in a ziplock bag in the components box that came with my tx1000. The bag has my tx1000's essential information (S/N, etc.) and the HP support number and website on it or in it.

Right now, I'm pissed at Alienware for a completely avoidable problem with my two-day-old m15x. :x Watch THAT space ...

From my perspective, I'll be happy when tech support for all computer H/W and S/W manufacturers who sell products in the U.S. returns to domestic outlets with really knowledgable techs I can understand and who can understand me. To be fair, I couldn't provide effective tech support (or anything else) in Hindi or Mandarin or other languages. But that's the point!