Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Adobe Reader....GTF off my system
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:06 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Not long ago, I reformatted my system and needed to look at a couple of PDF files. Not having Internet access yet to get Foxit, but having Adobe Reader 8.0 on a disk, I decided to try out Adobe Reader again.

BIG MISTAKE.

After running with Adobe Reader for a month or so, this past Monday or Tuesday, I allowed it to update itself to version 8.3.1. Ever since that update, I've had some pretty aggravating Network issues. Like all the computers in the house dropping their connections and requiring a reboot of my main rig to get them back. Also, my Network speeds were horribly slow.

I could reboot the modem and router with no effect. I could reboot the other computers and still nothing. I HAD to reboot my main rig to get our Internet back up.

So this happened on Wednesday and Friday. After troubleshooting the issue at length last night, I finally just rebooted my main rig, got it working again and went to sleep. When I woke up this morning, I suddenly remembered that the only thing I had changed was allowing Adobe to update Reader. So I come out to the computer room and both machines are sitting there with no Internet access. All four F@H clients are stuck trying to send results and download the next WU, but evidently, my secondary desktop sent in some stuff over night.

So I exit out of F@H on my main rig, restart and bam, the other desktop sends in results for CPU and the hung GPU. My main rig errors out and deletes them. So I lost Folding units.

I walked away to get coffee, come back and my Internet is down again. I delete Adobe Reader and Updater. I restart and haven't had an issue since. Not to mention my Network speeds are back to normal.

Adobe, kiss my ass. I'll never use your resource hungry, network borking piece of shit Reader again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:48 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Reader does suck, but I love there productive suits. MMMM, CS4...

May I ask what you plain to use in it's place?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:13 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say FoxIT PDF reader and editor. Free, resource minimal, and no network borking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:46 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

bigtoyota479 wrote:
I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say FoxIT PDF reader and editor. Free, resource minimal, and no network borking.

Yup. I use FoxIt on all my other computers. Very small footprint, much faster than Reader and best of all, doesn't bork my Network.

Only thing that irritates me about FoxIt is they give you the PC version for free, but if you want the the Windows Mobile version, they want $$.

Post subject: money
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:53 pm 

Quakindude wrote:
bigtoyota479 wrote:

Yup. I use FoxIt on all my other computers. Very small footprint, much faster than Reader and best of all, doesn't bork my Network.

Only thing that irritates me about FoxIt is they give you the PC version for free, but if you want the the Windows Mobile version, they want $$.

Adobe reader is so bloated. I really don't understand why they make it so bloated. They should, at the least, offer a 'lite' version.

Foxit is awesome. I'd rather them make a few bucks off the mobile users and keep their flagship pc version updated than have a buggy, outdated version.
If you can own a smart phone, you ought to be able to pay a few bucks for a useful product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:40 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

I agree with the OP, Adobe can kiss my butt too! Foxit for the win!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:40 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

A quick update. Ever since getting rid of Adobe Reader, I've not had my network go down one time.

Post subject: Re: money
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:28 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

joshman_i_am wrote:
Quakindude wrote:
bigtoyota479 wrote:

Adobe reader is so bloated. I really don't understand why they make it so bloated. They should, at the least, offer a 'lite' version.

Foxit is awesome. I'd rather them make a few bucks off the mobile users and keep their flagship pc version updated than have a buggy, outdated version.
If you can own a smart phone, you ought to be able to pay a few bucks for a useful product.

Well if they made a "lite" version, than being that its Adobe, they will probably make a "plus" version, or a "super" version, or a "premium" version. Just more variables to make people angry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:54 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I was trying to ship something USPS the other day and the label wouldn't show with foxit. I had to install adobe to get thru it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:01 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

I had to reinstall Adobe after trying Foxit. Foxit images were out of focus and/or very coarse, and had blue and red color fringing on the vertical edges of text and images. Adobe has more bloat, but Foxit gave me headaches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:43 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

i use it and it hasn't done anything to me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:50 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I agree that Acrobat reader is garbage, but then again, isn't almost anything made by Adobe?

It was a sad day that they bought Macromedia and turned what was a stable problem-free line of software into a buggy, unstable load of trash.

I wish I had a buck for every call I've received regarding Flash player not working properly.

"How come it says Flash player isn't installed when I've just watched fifteen YouTube videos with it?" Etc.

Maybe some people still find use for Photoshop, but just about anything it will do, the Gimp will do as well, cheaper and with fewer problems.

Actually, most of my photo editing can be done as well with Irfanview.

Screw Adobe.